DirecTV to Dish?

I switched from DTV to Dish about 3 weeks ago. Best choice I have made. I was with DTV for almost 10 years. The Hopper 3 is by far better then the DTV genie. I would not go back. Be ready for DTV to give you some great deals to stay with them. If you are really on the fence and like the Genie 2 and not the price call and say you are going to cancel. Don't take the first 2 or 3 offers. Keep saying no and you will get a great deal. My final offer was my entire bill cut in half for 12 months. No contract extension. I was already on a discounted price so it was literally about $20 a month. I still wanted the Hopper 3 so I made the switch. I was really really tempted not to though. In fact I took the offer from DTV and called Dish up to cancel the install and they offered the Hopper 3, 3 4K Joeys, and one wireless Joey for no cost for the actual equipment. So I called back DTV once more and canceled. They finally gave in and said they couldn't do better.

Hopper 3 is better than the Genie 2?

Once I call Dish, how long would it be before they could come and install? I won't be able to go without service for long.

Sometimes same day, just call dish and schedule appointment and cancel DTV after it is installed, that way you will avoid any issues like No line of site for dish. If Dish cant be installed for any reason, you didn't cancel your DTV and wont be without service.

Reactions: pattykay and CEV
When you call DTV you can request when to have it shut off anyways. I did my 5 days out. Dish did offer same day install since I signed up before noon but I decided to schedule it on the upcoming weekend. Like I said before call DTV and cancel and see what kind of deal they make you. Then think about what the new Hopper 3 hardware is worth to you. It's a decision you will have to make on your own.

Hopper 3 is better than the Genie 2?

Once I call Dish, how long would it be before they could come and install? I won't be able to go without service for long.

If you have a good local Dish retailer you should call them first. They'll have all the same deals that corporate Dish has, and sometimes better ones. More benefits are that you'll be keeping your business local, you won't have to talk to India and you'll probably get much better service for years to come. :)

Like others said, get a firetv stick and install dish anywhere from the App Store. You’ll have access to all your channels and DVR content (except stuff on an external drive if you have one connected). I do this in my office instead of a Joey and it works great.

Have a question, in another thread, someone said the firetv stick option does not include live tv, is that true?

Have a question, in another thread, someone said the firetv stick option does not include live tv, is that true?

Depends on the receiver.. a Hopper 3 does include live TV. I’m pretty sure that in the thread you’re referring too, the poster had a VIP DVR which was limited to video on demand. Not sure of the exact model tho.

When you call DTV you can request when to have it shut off anyways. I did my 5 days out. Dish did offer same day install since I signed up before noon but I decided to schedule it on the upcoming weekend. Like I said before call DTV and cancel and see what kind of deal they make you. Then think about what the new Hopper 3 hardware is worth to you. It's a decision you will have to make on your own.
That wasn't my experience a month ago. I had to call on the day I wanted DTV disconnected. I was told I could not set a date for disconnect at some future date, not even the next day. Of course, the rep in retention also insisted Dish would jack up my rates the second year, even when I told her I had a contract for two years in my hand. The Dish installer was in the room during this conversation, and he just laughed.

For the original poster, I think you've had your questions answered. I made the change about a month ago, and I've been very happy. Programming is very similar, so is picture quality, and the equipment is much better. And yes, the Dish Anywhere is much more stable and reliable than DTV's anywhere ap.

That wasn't my experience a month ago. I had to call on the day I wanted DTV disconnected. I was told I could not set a date for disconnect at some future date, not even the next day. Of course, the rep in retention also insisted Dish would jack up my rates the second year, even when I told her I had a contract for two years in my hand. The Dish installer was in the room during this conversation, and he just laughed.

For the original poster, I think you've had your questions answered. I made the change about a month ago, and I've been very happy. Programming is very similar, so is picture quality, and the equipment is much better. And yes, the Dish Anywhere is much more stable and reliable than DTV's anywhere ap.

Only complaint I had is I did cancel it 5 days out. DTV was supposed to shut if off on a Sunday morning, Dish was installing it on a Saturday. Turned out the DTV rep put it in for Saturday and when I woke up I had no access. Was not a huge deal since Dish was coming that day anyways. I just wanted that one day buffer to make sure the install went smoothly.

The retention reps get rated on how many customers they can save. That is probably what happened with you. That rep probably just told you that so they did not have to take the hit for not keeping you as a customer. Smart on their part I guess.

When I called to cancel, they gave me the option to cancel that day or at the end of the billing cycle. YMMV of course.

I just recently switched from DTV over to Dish almost 3 weeks ago. I had Dish in the past with a 722 DVR, but when I moved to my new house they were unwilling to give me free equipment or promo deals on the programming since I still had an account in my name back at my mom's house. It was in my name and she pays the bill. I ended up going with DTV. Now 7 years later and after getting ripped off by AT&T wireless I decided I wasn't about to keep giving them any of my money. I did a chat with Dish and was able to sign up with the Flex package and a Hopper 3 and Joey. I'm sure with losing customers over the past year or two it was much easier getting the equipment free. So far I really like the Hopper. My Genie with DTV was the HR54, but it was buggy. It locked up frequently for 5 to 10 seconds when in the guide or menus. My older Genie was much more stable. DTV didn't try all that hard to keep me as a customer. The phone rep said she could set up an appointment to have my equipment reinstalled and give me some promo pricing, but with the customer service I received from AT&T I was ready to leave. After I declined she just put in my cancellation and said to expect the box to return my equipment. It took me a few days to learn where everything is located in the menus, but now that I'm getting more familiar with the Hopper I wouldn't want another Genie. I'm happy I switched and can't see any reason I'd switch back.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to contact my local Dish dealer tomorrow, and really hoping they can install before the weekend.

The retention reps get rated on how many customers they can save. That is probably what happened with you. That rep probably just told you that so they did not have to take the hit for not keeping you as a customer. Smart on their part I guess.

Not to go too off-topic, but a lot of people who have never worked in call centers don't know about this.

All call center agents are monitored monthly based upon their statistics. Among other things, the main stats usually include: AOV (average order value), Conversion Percentage (number of calls that result in a sale or successful retention, versus calls that are non-sales/cancellation), AHT (average handle time in minutes that the agent spends on the phone with a customer) and Transfers/Escalations (number of times an agent has to transfer a customer to another dept. or escalate to a Tier 2/manager due to the customer's request).

At the end of every month, agents in call centers get harassed by their managers when one or more of the above statistics don't meet the call center's "minimum target guidelines". Put simply, AOV and Conversion have to be high, while AHT and Transfers/Escalations have to be low.

I don't agree with this morally or ethically, but having worked in this environment before, I know firsthand that a lot of successful sales reps are the ones that get away with twisting the truth, or just outright lying. The average person, who doesn't know a ton of information, tends to believe what the sales agent tells them, when in actuality, the sales agents are doing whatever they can to maximize their own statistics so they look good in the eyes of the call center they're working in (and not get chewed out by their managers).

That's why it's a good thing places like SatelliteGuys exist. Before calling any company at all, I always advise that everyone does their own research first, so they know all the details and facts. That way, when you do make the call, you'll already be knowledgeable and you'll know whether the agent you're speaking with is telling the truth. And to be fair, it's not always the agent's fault. They need money, they want to keep their job, they don't want to be harassed... so they do whatever their manager tells them. The bigger problem is with the call center industry in general, but that's for another topic entirely. :)

Last edited:
With local retailers (and assuming Dish Corporate because we all have the same deals) its $25 for the WAP not per Joey, just like Ziptied said.

The WAP fee was $50 in the beginning and then was lowered to $25.

DISH Eliminates Wire Clutter with New Wireless Joey | About DISH

"DISH customers can add Wireless Joeys to their Hopper system for $7 per month per device, plus a one-time $50 fee for the wireless access point, which can serve up to three Wireless Joey clients."

Last edited:
No, it's per Joey. If you install 3 WiFi Joeys, it's $75.00, but only uses 1 WAP

During the process of trying (and failing) to get a Wireless Joey for less than $80, the installer told me it was $25 per WAP, while the CSR told me it "should be" $25 per Joey. The online ordering tool also states $25 per Joey.

Reactions: JSheridan
During the process of trying (and failing) to get a Wireless Joey for less than $80, the installer told me it was $25 per WAP, while the CSR told me it "should be" $25 per Joey. The online ordering tool also states $25 per Joey.

I installed a WAP and 2 Wireless Joey's last week or the week before and the cost to the customer was $25.

And yet another reason to go with a local retailer, if you have a good one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts