DirecTV wouldn't take my cancellation for an order

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, I got an email at about 4:30 this morning that my DirecTV account has been disconnected. That's progress!

I do have a problem with the government letting U-Verse buy DirecTV, but their support had gone south long before that acquisition. Way back in the days of the usenet and rec.satellite.video.dbs we used to rave about DTV and call Primestar 'Crimestar'. Little did we know that DTV would buy out Primestar, shut them down, and adopt their hardware and pricing policies.

Oh, and assuming that the poster works for Verizon, they are my cell provider. I switched to them after AT&T bought Cingular and it went downhill (a theme!). I'm okay with Verizon.

everyone who blames at&t just want to look at someone to blame. nothing's changed in most of the departments as far as policies go since the transaction.

at&t handles no part of directv disconnect. directv handles their own account disconnect. I believe a couple of outsourced call centers handle retention, but I know 2 owned and operated directv sites handle retention as well.

ISM handles retention for ISM enabled customers, but that's it. this required bundles with at&t, though.

Reactions: Broe67 and Jimbo
I thought they always sent you a copy of your conversation in email once the conversation ended ....
Never had one sent to me yet, out of the 16 years thatI have dealt with ATT.

A lot of times when they do send you something by email. Your email provider either rejects it as being on a blacklisted server or sends it to spam.

Will94 ATT did not buy out Cingular. Cingular was always owned by ATT's two baby bells SBC communications and BellSouth.

They gobbled up Cellular 1 in Illinois and other providers that had always had some connection to Ma Bell.

I should know, because I was one of the original Central IL Cellular 1 employees who became fully vested into Cingular when the buy out happened.

Because of the ruling when Ma Bell had to be divided out to Baby Bells, ATT could not form back up into one huge monopoly, until the ruling expired.

Right before ATT sealed the deal for DirecTV. They had already started the process of closing call centers down and moving the one here in Springfield, IL to Rantoul at the old Chanutte Air Force Base, where my father actually went to Radioman school at in the late 40's.

Never had one sent to me yet, out of the 16 years thatI have dealt with ATT.

A lot of times when they do send you something by email. Your email provider either rejects it as being on a blacklisted server or sends it to spam.
I DO remember getting an email from a D* conversation, so I went back and looked into it and found it ...
What it is, is, when you contact D* and do a Online Chat, you get a copy of the conversation.

Reactions: Tampa8
I never got the conversation. If I recall, it gives you a choice if you want a copy or not.

I hardly ever call Diret or ATT. Now Comcast on the other hand. I hated dealing with their CSR's and add to that Bank of America.

I think I made one CC rep quit after I got done reaming them for not cancelling my Internet account last year when I switched back to UVerse.

I finally had to walk into the local service center and talk to someone that I used to work with at Cingular, who is now working for CC.

Ok Juan, I got your idea ....
Anytime something doesn't go right, you blame att, now that att owns them ....
Do you really think att came in and threw out all the D* people and the existing rules and implemented thier own in 3 months ?

Remember all the posts before this about people not liking what D* did for one reason or another ?
Of course not.

People seem to think that D* was perfect before and att is to blame for everything now ... Not so fast ...
I gotta tell you....I was once an AT&T customer. Back in the days of actually paying for long distance service, I had a $7 per month plan thru AT&T that included dial up ( yeah THAT) internet and long distance. When I switched to broad band, i no longer needed AT&T as I dropped my local telco for VoIP. It took several phone calls and a very terse letter to finally get T to cancel my service.
From that day I swore I would never do business with that crappy company ever again. IMO they SUCK

When I cancel Directv, I will not wait for their return boxes to arrive. I will go ahead and ship the equipment back to them before I call to cancel. That way, there is no way that the CSR can talk me into keeping their service, and I will have a tracking number to verify when they received the equipment, and more importantly, when I shipped it. (the date I cancel service)
You have to make sure you have the correct address!!!!

Does anybody on here know the address where Directv wants their equipment sent back? If you could post here or send me a PM, I would appreciate it.
No clue, I normally just take the self addressed return label they provide for you, slap it on, drop it off and don't worry about it.

I would guess they have multiple locations depending on your location.

She told me that I had boxes on the way for my receivers while she was apparently writing down that I had agreed to stay for a $40 programming credit.

I've had a couple bad experiences with the "credits". Maybe it's the way I'm contacting D* (through chat), not sure. I got a $20 credit last month, and it showed up as a balance on this month's bill. This month, in trying to negotiate the $25 advanced receiver fee (I just got out of the 2 year contract), I got a onetime credit of $50 and was "assured" that it would not show up as a balance on the next bill.....I have my doubts about that...

No clue, I normally just take the self addressed return label they provide for you, slap it on, drop it off and don't worry about it.
Well, considering what happened to the OP, I would rather not take that chance.

I would guess they have multiple locations depending on your location.
That is also part of my problem. I am "moved" to get west coast network feeds from Los Angeles, and I would rather not deal with the hassle of "moving" back to my actual address right before I cancel, or trying to get Directv to send the return label to my Billing Address instead of my Service Address. Perhaps someone could post a picture of their return address label. (with your address covered up, of course)

That is also part of my problem. I am "moved" to get west coast network feeds from Los Angeles, and I would rather not deal with the hassle of "moving" back to my actual address right before I cancel, or trying to get Directv to send the return label to my Billing Address instead of my Service Address. Perhaps someone could post a picture of their return address label. (with your address covered up, of course)
Thing is, with multiple locations that do the returns, you would have to know which one is expecting your recvrs ... I suppose you could call them and thru your conversation, ask what location they send to ...

Thing is, with multiple locations that do the returns, you would have to know which one is expecting your recvrs ... I suppose you could call them and thru your conversation, ask what location they send to ...
Yes, I was planning to call them and ask that before I cancel. I just thought that somebody on here might know the return address and save me that step.

That is also part of my problem. I am "moved" to get west coast network feeds from Los Angeles, and I would rather not deal with the hassle of "moving" back to my actual address right before I cancel, or trying to get Directv to send the return label to my Billing Address instead of my Service Address.)
Because saying "send the address label to my billing address" is too much work?
When I had D* anytime I needed to return something (had 3 receivers crap out in 4 years...but they were crap ones to begin with) I always asked to ship to billing address and thats where it came to :)
(the physical was a legit address that we had so if they shipped it there we would have gotten it there but never happened)

Reactions: Jimbo and pattykay
Because saying "send the address label to my billing address" is too much work?
When I had D* anytime I needed to return something (had 3 receivers crap out in 4 years...but they were crap ones to begin with) I always asked to ship to billing address and thats where it came to :)
(the physical was a legit address that we had so if they shipped it there we would have gotten it there but never happened)
Yes, I have done the same thing with Dish many times, with no problems except for one time when they shipped a replacement remote to my Service Address (I called UPS with the tracking number and had them hold the package at the local UPS warehouse so I could pick it up in person) and one time when they were supposed to send a return box for a leased receiver and I never received the box. (I reactivated that receiver a month later.) I have never returned any equipment to Directv, so I wasn't sure if having a label sent to the Billing Address would be a problem. Also, my Billing Address is in Ohio and my Service Address is in California, so that might raise some questions if I ask to have the return label sent to the Billing Address. (Not that it matters if I am planning to cancel service anyway.)

Yes, I have done the same thing with Dish many times, with no problems except for one time when they shipped a replacement remote to my Service Address (I called UPS with the tracking number and had them hold the package at the local UPS warehouse so I could pick it up in person) and one time when they were supposed to send a return box for a leased receiver and I never received the box. (I reactivated that receiver a month later.) I have never returned any equipment to Directv, so I wasn't sure if having a label sent to the Billing Address would be a problem. Also, my Billing Address is in Ohio and my Service Address is in California, so that might raise some questions if I ask to have the return label sent to the Billing Address. (Not that it matters if I am planning to cancel service anyway.)
Where are you actually located ?
North of Columbus ?
I'm outside of Toledo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)