Disable the standby/inactivity timer on latest hopper & hopper plus with the WAP and Joey 4s and WAP keeps losing DHCP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Spetrilli45

Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Illinois
All the postings I have seen refer to the older remote which has a menu button. The latest voice remotes (they have 54.0 on the back of them) which came with the hopper and hopper plus and the joey 4 units do not have a menu button.

How do I change the standby/idle timer from 4 to 8 hours. I know it is set at 4 hours when I go into settings, but it appears to be grayed out and I do not know where to go to change it from 4 to 8 hours.

The posts which refer to the older remote state press the menu button and then go to update and preferences.

When I go to dish settings and then diagnostics and tools and select update it states everything will be inoperative for at least 30 minutes so I have never clicked to go into update.

Also I periodically have to unplug the WAP because it will not link with the joeys. When it boots back up the joeys connect. If they do not automatically reconnect, then I will unplug the joey4 which does not come back up and then it will reboot and connect.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Go to settings in upper right corner, then dish settings then down to power and you'll see the standby timer.

As far as the wifi Joeys disconnecting it has been found that there's a setting in wifi routers that is causing the dhcp to renew every 60 minutes. Wifi Joeys have there own network and "shouldn't" be affected by anything your internet router is doing but unfortunately they sometimes do. So maybe try checking your router settings.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Go to settings in upper right corner, then dish settings then down to power and you'll see the standby timer.

As far as the wifi Joeys disconnecting it has been found that there's a setting in wifi routers that is causing the dhcp to renew every 60 minutes. Wifi Joeys have there own network and "shouldn't" be affected by anything your internet router is doing but unfortunately they sometimes do. So maybe try checking your router settings.
I’m pretty sure on the hopper plus, they disable the inactivity, standby timer.

When I still had a Hopper and wireless Joey, I fixed all my connectivity issues by going into my Velop router settings and set up a DHCP reservation for the Hopper and the Joey, separately.
There were some guys on here that were having various connectivity issues, and once they did that, it solved all their issues also.

I wish that Dish would train and authorize guys to do that because it would solve a whole hell of a lot of problems.

The Hopper plus has its own inactivity timer and you CANNOT disable it. The maximum time for inactivity is TWO hours before it shuts down. I don’t know about the Joey 4 as I don’t have any Joeys.

There is not a sub menu or icon in the gear box settings named power. I am in the settings of the main hopper, not the settings which come up with the wireless joeys. There is not any submenu in settings named power so I cannot go to it to see or change the standby timer.

In regards to the DHCP address issue with the WAP, it occurs about every week or so, some times maybe twice a week. It is a real pain in the rear. I am thinking maybe the WAP or the Hopper Plus it is connected to via an ethernet cable is flaky.

The main hopper which has the sat dish cable coming into it is wirelessly connected to my mesh router system. From there an ethernet cable goes to the Hopper Plus and the Hopper Plus connection to the Wireless Access Point (WAP) is also an ethernet cable connection

I am tech in background (38+ years in IS, software development and Networking before I retired). I do not think my mesh router system is not the problem. The main hopper itself is connected to my mesh router wirelessly and the main hopper never loses it's dhcp addresses (nor do any of the 5 PCs or two wireless printers or the mobile phones lose their DHCP). Not sure what role the small super hopper/hopper plus plays in between the main hopper and the WAP which services the Joeys. The install tech could not really explain it to me. I think he was just a lugger and plugger trained enough to install and that is it,.

It is only the Wireless Access Point (WAP) which the Joey 4s connect to that appears to lose the DHCP addresses it hands out to the joeys. When I unplug the WAP, it acquires the DHCP addresses to hand out and connect to the 3 different joeys. I have attached 3 pics.

1st is what I see after I select the gear in upper right. 2nd and 3rd pics are the subsequent screens I encounter. Power is not listed anywhere. Excuse the first pic not being rotated correctly

Attachments

• IMG-4185.jpg
    IMG-4185.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-4186.jpg
    IMG-4186.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG-4187.jpg
    IMG-4187.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 72
There is not a sub menu or icon in the gear box settings named power. I am in the settings of the main hopper, not the settings which come up with the wireless joeys. There is not any submenu in settings named power so I cannot go to it to see or change the standby timer.

In regards to the DHCP address issue with the WAP, it occurs about every week or so, some times maybe twice a week. It is a real pain in the rear. I am thinking maybe the WAP or the Hopper Plus it is connected to via an ethernet cable is flaky.

The main hopper which has the sat dish cable coming into it is wirelessly connected to my mesh router system. From there an ethernet cable goes to the Hopper Plus and the Hopper Plus connection to the Wireless Access Point (WAP) is also an ethernet cable connection

I am tech in background (38+ years in IS, software development and Networking before I retired). I do not think my mesh router system is not the problem. The main hopper itself is connected to my mesh router wirelessly and the main hopper never loses it's dhcp addresses (nor do any of the 5 PCs or two wireless printers or the mobile phones lose their DHCP). Not sure what role the small super hopper/hopper plus plays in between the main hopper and the WAP which services the Joeys. The install tech could not really explain it to me. I think he was just a lugger and plugger trained enough to install and that is it,.

It is only the Wireless Access Point (WAP) which the Joey 4s connect to that appears to lose the DHCP addresses it hands out to the joeys. When I unplug the WAP, it acquires the DHCP addresses to hand out and connect to the 3 different joeys. I have attached 3 pics.

1st is what I see after I select the gear in upper right. 2nd and 3rd pics are the subsequent screens I encounter. Power is not listed anywhere. Excuse the first pic not being rotated correctly
Good info. I have have my WAP, Hoppers, Joeys, printers, & cameras setup up in my router's reservation IP section. They keep the same IPs so the DHCP doesn't change them. Works pretty good, so far.

There can't be an Ethernet cable going to the Hopper Plus. You mean USB or HDMI. Or you're not sure what the Hopper Plus is and your router may not be the problem but in the dozens I set up a reservation for in people's routers, connectivity issues disappeared

Like I said routers arent supposed to cause issues but they do. I'd do as hipkat suggested and I bet the issues are resolved. But yes it only causes the issues on the wifi Joeys. The hopper and any wired Joeys would remain unaffected.

I’m pretty sure on the hopper plus, they disable the inactivity, standby timer.
You're right, I forgot about that. I don't mess with it on my own and I've still only done like 4 hopper plus installs. We barely get them and when I do it's always old people that don't want it and I modify and get rid of it lol.

You're right, I forgot about that. I don't mess with it on my own and I've still only done like 4 hopper plus installs. We barely get them and when I do it's always old people that don't want it and I modify and get rid of it lol.
They won’t let us modify those. Our company I mean. So we just activate them and leave them in the box and tell the customer if they ever quit Dish they have to send that back. I have to go up to a customers house Sunday and reinstall one that I took out a couple months ago because it was giving him nothing but problems but he wants the marquee network.. I guess it is it what it is

They won’t let us modify those. Our company I mean. So we just activate them and leave them in the box and tell the customer if they ever quit Dish they have to send that back. I have to go up to a customers house Sunday and reinstall one that I took out a couple months ago because it was giving him nothing but problems but he wants the marquee network.. I guess it is it what it is
Technically we aren't supposed to either. Only reason to modify is supposed to be no internet. But my immediate boss is cool and doesn't really care lol. He's been fed up with corporates crap for years.