Disappointed in Vue with MNF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

camo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Nebraska
About the time I thought this streaming thing may actually work I get a big setback.
Last night MNF probably highly watched with two -1st place teams and it showed with pixelation and several freeze ups. Shattered my impression of PSVUE which I thought was rock solid. I'm reconsidering this whole streaming idea now. If its not reliable during popular events is it worth the savings?
I was so disturbed by what happened I got up and ordered a hopper receiver from solid signal to replace my 211K. :crying

About the time I thought this streaming thing may actually work I get a big setback.
Last night MNF probably highly watched with two -1st place teams and it showed with pixelation and several freeze ups. Shattered my impression of PSVUE which I thought was rock solid. I'm reconsidering this whole streaming idea now. If its not reliable during popular events is it worth the savings?
I was so disturbed by what happened I got up and ordered a hopper receiver from solid signal to replace my 211K. :crying

I watched most of last night's MNF game on Vue and didn't have any problems. In fact, I was remarking quite the opposite in terms of quality (streaming on a PS4). What device are you streaming on and did you happen to check your internet speeds during the pixelation?

I've had instances during past holiday seasons when the bandwidth demand in the neighborhood, from what I assumed to be a lot of people steaming all at the same time, resulted in much slower internet speeds in my home during the evening hours.

I turned ping plotter on and graphed internet connection (on PC) during the full game once issues started so I know my internet didn't go down and saw nothing unusual like high ping returns, also did a couple speed test but saw nothing unusual.
I had X-ray turned on so could monitor bitrate and see it dipping into 1000 range during pixelation.
I thought about my internet being the issue but doesn't address the overall problem of reliability whether its on my side or theirs.
I've had a few hiccups before but thought I could live with an occasional blip, but last night went above my tolerance level.

Things were fine on my end on vue. Directvnow was also fine during the times I switched back and forth to compare. I expect rectangles on dtvnow

I also did not have any issues. I did not check directvnow for this, but my wife did use it some yesterday, and while better, it still gave us the rectangle a few times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Good to know others didn't have same issue. Could of been internet here but like I said ping plotter usually lets me know if internet has issues. Latency goes up and start losing packets and didn't see anything with ping time to google averaging 40 ms and graph was smooth.

Good to know others didn't have same issue. Could of been internet here but like I said ping plotter usually lets me know if internet has issues. Latency goes up and start losing packets and didn't see anything with ping time to google averaging 40 ms and graph was smooth.
What device do you use? There's a vast performance difference for me between PS4, PS3, and Amazon Fire Stick. I pretty much only watch Vue on my PS4 any more. I understand the Amazon Fire TV box is comparable to the PS4 performance wise. Watching the Holiday Bowl on ESPN right now, I don't even think about the fact I'm streaming on the Internet.

What device do you use? There's a vast performance difference for me between PS4, PS3, and Amazon Fire Stick. I pretty much only watch Vue on my PS4 any more. I understand the Amazon Fire TV box is comparable to the PS4 performance wise.
Amazon Fire TV box, and not any glitches today at all. Currently watching Bowl game on ESPN but audience isn't 1/4 of MNF.

tonight I get rectangles (as usual after 7pm). I just don't get how this is so consistent and not fixed yet. This is the only service I have ever had problems with constantly and pretty much predictably

The problem is that the video itself is sourced through Content Distribution Networks, which means you're getting video from a server installed in a city close to you, and in many cases from a server that's physically installed in one of your ISP's data centers.

In a lot of ways when you say "I watched the game on Vue" it's like saying "I buy Wonder bread at Wal-mart." Let's say you try to go to a Chicago Wal-mart every Sunday afternoon and by the time you get there they have completely sold out of Wonder bread. It doesn't help if I go to a Minneapolis store and then say "that's strange, I just went there and had no problem buying it." We both went to "Wal-mart" at the same time, but every local store is going to be slightly different in stock and experience.

It's the same thing with CDNs. Your experience is going to vary based on a number of factors, starting with the CDN provider. SlingTV primarily uses Fastly, DirecTV NOW uses Akamai, PS Vue uses Level(3) with some Akamai, Amazon uses their Cloudfront CDN, Netflix uses their own "open connect" CDN.

Even when you break down a single CDN, it's still complicated. For example, if I do packet captures of DirecTV NOW at home I can see that I connect to an Akamai server directly connected to Comcast's network in Roseville, MN. My folks live just a couple miles away and if I connect using their Centurylink ISP I connect to an Akamai server on CL's network in Minneapolis. If I connect over my ATT LTE hotspot, I land on yet a different appliance somewhere close by (based on latency).

Each of those appliances can sustain 2000-3000 simultaneous streams (depending on specs), and once they start to hit that limit, the only path to add capacity is someone needs to negotiate with each individual ISP for space/power/cooling, server hardware needs to be ordered, shipped, installed, commissioned, etc. This is a long lead-time process, and why some folks are going to continue to have bad performance for long stretches of time.

Reactions: camo and Foxbat
Been flawless for the most part since hour long hiccup on Carlson Tucker show but think it was a network issue. Will see how it goes this weekend with NFL playoffs and NCAA championship Monday both on ESPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)