Disappointing Image Quality

classithings

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Could something be wrong with my installation or equipment?

I just switched from high definition cable tv to high definition satellite (one Vip622 and two Vip211). The satellite service provider also provided installation. Compared to cable, I am very disappointed in satellite TV image quality of both standard definition and high definition. Images are much softer and less defined. Colors are more muted. Images appear "flat" and somewhat lifeless. I am especially surprised that the disappointing image quality is also experienced on the local high definition channels using the OTA Winegard Squareshooter that was also installed! A separate antenna cable runs to each satellite receiver. Could the muted image quality be caused by overly long cable runs or other installation related matters or is the image problem described characteristic of these receivers or the satellite service provider? I have not tried changing any of the television picture adjustments.

Receiver to TV cables are hdmi/hdmi and in one instance hdmi/dvi. TVs are either 67 inch 1080p or 50 inch 720p. I will read the instruction manual and find out how to set receiver resolution. What should they be set to?

Receiver to TV cables are hdmi/hdmi and in one instance hdmi/dvi. TVs are either 67 inch 1080p or 50 inch 720p. I will read the instruction manual and find out how to set receiver resolution. What should they be set to?

I've found 1080i to provide the best overall results with my 50" 720p set.

NightRyder

SD on Dish Network looks like a bad VCR tape recording if your TV is bigger than 25" but where else can u go to get good quality on a big tv?

I beg to argue with you as my SD PQ is pretty darn good and much better than any VCR ever produced. The 622 feeding my Mits 55" via component at 1080i then stretching the SD to 16x9 gives very good PQ. It takes a little tweaking and trial and error of all settings but can be done. And yes I do know what HD PQ looks like and do prefer it am forced to watch SD now and then.

I beg to argue with you as my SD PQ is pretty darn good and much better than any VCR ever produced. The 622 feeding my Mits 55" via component at 1080i then stretching the SD to 16x9 gives very good PQ. It takes a little tweaking and trial and error of all settings but can be done. And yes I do know what HD PQ looks like and do prefer it am forced to watch SD now and then.

I agree. I have OTA HD, SD and HD cable and a 622 feeding a 32" LCD and Dish SD is miles beyond VHS, equal to most and better than a few cable stations and better than all 12 OTA SD signals I receive.

SD signals are analog and vulnerable to rf interference. Perhaps your Dish SD video is the victim of degradation because of the number of rf devices you have nearby or the length of the video cable run.

Could something be wrong with my installation or equipment?

I am especially surprised that the disappointing image quality is also experienced on the local high definition channels using the OTA Winegard Squareshooter that was also installed!

If you OTA looks bad, I would have to suspect is a problem with your configuration, or with your cabling from the receiver to the TV. OTA *should* look the best out of cable, satellite, whatever.

Receiver resulution is set to 1080i and 16:9 "normal" (no stretch or zoom). I have decided to give this some time without me adjusting settings on the TV set. Maybe I will "adapt" myself to this image quality. But I am dumbfounded by my initial impression of there being a "haze" over the entire picture both SD and HD, both satellite and OTA HD thru the receiver. Right now the image quality looks better on the 50 inch 720p set that it looks on the 67 invh 1020p. But hey, SD on satellite is definitely better than VHS. I want to look at some live football in HD before I give satellite a thumbs down or a thumbs up. (Incidentally, the video signal is going straight from the satellite to the TV and not through a receiver or video processor.)

Adavis720, I agree. I will try a different hdmi cable. If that is not it, I will get a consultant to come a checkout my configuration. I'm 65, but I don't believe I have developed a serious vision problem.

Adavis720, I agree. I will try a different hdmi cable. If that is not it, I will get a consultant to come a checkout my configuration. I'm 65, but I don't believe I have developed a serious vision problem.

Just curious, were you using HDMI with your Digital Cable or Component, Cable Card?

NightRyder

NightRider, when I used cable tv, my connections were hdmi/hdmi and dvi/dvi.

Downriver, I am encouraged to hear that a satellite user was able to achieve a "warmer picture." In a few days I will get up the courage to tackle different cables and adjustments to see if I can achieve a better picture that way. Right now my pictures are best classified as "dull" and grayish. Blacks look faded now.

Try adjusting your picture controls on your tv to fit for satellite tv. There is some difference between satellite and cable . There is even a difference between Directv and DISH for pq controls.

There might be a difference the black level and contrast between the cable and satellite. Generally, set the black level (aka brightness) to just below starting to be gray in the darkest regions and then set the contrast to make whites reasonable, your TV mileage may vary. The settings for HD and SD; satellite and OTA; RF, composite, component, and HDMI may differ some. I hope your TV can has independent controls for the last 4.
-Ken

SD on Dish Network looks like a bad VCR tape recording if your TV is bigger than 25" but where else can u go to get good quality on a big tv?

SD looks just as good as SD on BHN cable on my 622DVR, and the HD and SD non-Dish DVRs in my home. I pretty much only watch HD on my Dish, since I have all the channels also on cable, but my kid watches Nick and Nick west all the time and they look fine. He watches on a 50" SD projection. But I have watched things on both my HD TVs on SD channels on Dish and they hardly look as bad as a bad VCR tape.

NightRider, when I used cable tv, my connections were hdmi/hdmi and dvi/dvi.

Downriver, I am encouraged to hear that a satellite user was able to achieve a "warmer picture." In a few days I will get up the courage to tackle different cables and adjustments to see if I can achieve a better picture that way. Right now my pictures are best classified as "dull" and grayish. Blacks look faded now.

When I switched to the ViP 622 from a TiVO S3, I had to make some significant adjustments on my TV. Different devices seem to require different calibrations.

As others have written, if everything is working correctly (i.e. no bad equipment or cables) your OTA picture quality should be superb through the 622... as good as it gets.

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts