Disappointing Image Quality

I had the same initial experience when switching from cable back in Feb. After a few adjustments the pq rivaled what I was used to with cable (on a 46" RPTV). I also have a 32" LCD in the bedroom. The pq through a 211 on the 32" LCD (HD and SD) looks much better than my previous cable. IMHO colors are brighter and sharper using component connections vs. HDMI/DVI connections.

Could something be wrong with my installation or equipment?

I just switched from high definition cable tv to high definition satellite (one Vip622 and two Vip211). The satellite service provider also provided installation. Compared to cable, I am very disappointed in satellite TV image quality of both standard definition and high definition. Images are much softer and less defined. Colors are more muted. Images appear "flat" and somewhat lifeless. I am especially surprised that the disappointing image quality is also experienced on the local high definition channels using the OTA Winegard Squareshooter that was also installed! A separate antenna cable runs to each satellite receiver. Could the muted image quality be caused by overly long cable runs or other installation related matters or is the image problem described characteristic of these receivers or the satellite service provider? I have not tried changing any of the television picture adjustments.

Walk through the "Do's & Don'ts" a step by step guide to picture quality!

Do's & Don'ts

Occasionally, I get online and look at forums. When I have answers, I post them.

I don't believe that, in any post I've made today, that I have failed to add pertinent information. I don't believe in making gratuitous posts, though I'm sure I've made a couple...

I'm just trying to provide answers and help. Is there something wrong with assisting on several problems in a day?

Nothing wrong at all with providing information, but that much posting to your site borders on spam in my book.

I think that the OP needs to get a copy of Digital Video Essentials and attempt to re-calibrate his sets. I would also go over to the AVS Forum and check out the calibration settings that others are using for the OP's two sets. These are great reference tools for dialing in the picture and then tweaking it to your personal preferences.

sd on dish is pretty bad some channels are worse than others

SD picture quality depends on the signal quality each channel provider gives to Dish.

Once the signal gets to Dish it becomes part of the bit stream and because it remains part of the bit stream until it gets to a TV in your house there can be no difference from one channel to another.

Having some good and some bad channels is a fact of life that only exists in old time analog cable and analog over the air signals which is one of the most important reasons to switch to Dish.

No lies, here. (And, the world isn't flat...)
Actually, that anyone ever believed that the world is flat, is itself a lie. There was a popular novel published in the 19th Century about primitive people believing the earth was flat, and since then, that concept has permeated our society. It allows us to feel superior. Round earth depictions have been found from long before the scientific investigations of recent times.

Similarly, your web page might make you feel good, but most of it is wrong. All the stuff about changing contrast and brightness to "50" is gibberish. Many current sets are pretty good out of the box. For example, Audioholics said about the Olevia 542i:
Even out of the box, just adjusting the Power Up to Home, Lighting setting to Medium, and the Color Temp to 6500 will ensure you'll be looking at a very well calibrated image with nearly no work on your part.

Your Dish Network settings are also not based on any reality. Despite some comments here (that are based on the power of suggestion of the number 1080 being larger than 720), native 720p sets will look better with the 622/722 set to "720p" - unless they never watch ESPN, ESPN2, NatlGeo, History, ABC or FOX. Technically, there is no possibility that adding two conversions (720p to 1080i and then back to 720p) improves the picture...

The truth about calibration

"All the stuff about changing contrast and brightness to "50" is gibberish." you say.

Absolutely not! Read about calibration from any other source. A short, Do-It-Yourself version, is on the website, but look it up anywhere else on the net. If you think that 100% contrast gives the best picture, you're way off.

Then you immediately contradict yourself when you say many current sets are pretty good out of the box, and then show a quote that says what three ADJUSTMENTS to make to get the good picture! (What does it look like if you take it out of the box and DON'T make the changes to the settings?)

So if you have the specific Olevia mentioned, skip my general page and make the specific changes in settings that they suggest. All TV's are different, but they nearly all come with the settings perverted so that they will look bright in a bright store,(usually contrast at 100%, and brightness high, also).

Concerning this comment:

"Your Dish Network settings are also not based on any reality."

Again, you are incorrect in your statement. The reality of the page "Do's & Don'ts" is that is designed to most positively effect the wide variety of TV's with the least amount of confusion.

That page is not the page to try to educate the public about native resolutions, but to say that "When you pick 1080i, you are most likely to have a great picture." If you know you have a 720p set, use the 720 setting. You can still check to see which you like best.

Having done comparisons with customers' TV's in the field, we very seldom saw a noticeable difference between the two, and when a preference was determined, it was 1080i. So, to cut to the chase and reduce confusion, I wrote to generally switch to 1080. (If you don't know your TV's resolution, that is...)

That page is a "non-technical" home help page. There are over 20 more pages of more technical information that you can attempt to pick apart, if you like. Read them and I guarantee you will learn something.

If you find a valid, verifiable, dispute about anything, let me know. The website is a help site and the goal is to only have good verifiable information. Thanks for your input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)