Dish 1000 and Florida...why not ?

flytank

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
I've seen the footprint map for the Dish 1000 and see where FL lies in the shaded (not covered) area. I've researched and have found out that the Dish 500 is named like this because it is "enabled" to recieve up to 500 channels and, by the same token, the Dish 1000 is "enabled" to recieve up to 1000 channels. This means that the shaded areas on the footprint map (see dishstore's map under the dish 1000 product) are being sort of neglected somewhat. If I were to purchase and try to install these Dish 1000's in say Orlando, they wouldn'y work at all ??? My dish 500's are working flawlessly, I've got 2....one for the 119/110 sats and the other one is fixed on the 61.5. Just would like to have the 1000's instead if what I read is right.

The extra satellite the Dish 1000 sees is basically a mirror for 61.5. Your two dish setup is essentially the east coast Dish 1000.

Thanks GeorgeLV, however even if I leave the dish 500 I have for the mirror 61.5 would I still be able to make the 1000 work? Remember what I said about the dish ability to see up to a 1000 channels. Would a 1000 work nevertheless?

the names on the satellite dishes mean nothing.

Florida is out of the footprint for the 129 orbital (which is the 3rd orbital a dish 1000 sees), because they took a satellite that had US footprint designed at 119 and moved it to 129.

The 61.5 and dish 500 are fine

Last edited:
Cool. I see, thanks BFG and GeorgeLV, now....if only E* CSR's knew this, they kept saying I needed a Dish 1000 when I upgraded to a 622 and a 211. I guess I'll give them the benefit of a doubt since the Dish 1000 covers just about anywhere else except FL and the NE states and south TX.

Just because you are out of the footprint dosent mean that you can't recieve signal from the location. I have used 129 for signals in the NE, however the NLOS is a problem and the signal strengh is low causing many rain fades. The 61.5 location was used for your local programing that programing is not avalable on the 129 location. It is now going to be used for HD programing. which is being mirrored on 129 and 61.5. The CSR's are wrong much of the time about this.

BFG said:
Florida is out of the footprint for the 129 orbital (which is the 3rd orbital a dish 1000 sees), because they took a satellite that had US footprint designed at 119 and moved it to 129.

The 61.5 and dish 500 are fine
Are you 100% sure that the ENTIRE state of FL is out of the 129 orbital? The colored charts I have seen do NOT show the Northwest FL panhandle area (ie. Pensacola, Gulf Breeze, Ft. Walton Beach) as being in the colored area, which would seem to indicate that it is possible to to get the 129 signal. I'm in Pensacola and a local Dish retailer here said that it is possible to get a good signal here on 129 and that a Dish 1000 is possible to use here, as opposed to Central/South FL.

I keep reading here on the forums where people automatically say the entire state of FL is out of the footprint, when the charts clearly say otherwise (if I am reading them correctly!). Would appreciate a more accurate answer.

Yeah not the whole, just the colored regions the chart shows, I was being general

1-dish vs. several ??

IMHO, the D1000 is not necessarily a bargain anywhere. As I recall it was supposed to be the "one dish solution" for E* to be able to offer "must carry" programming in all (well, almost all!) locations. Trying to receive multiple sats with one dish will almost always be a less-than-optimal solution, and the more sats you're trying to receive with one dish, the more compromises you'll have to make. Only a lucky few live in areas where all desired sat locations relative to their's optimally match-up with the geometry of the one dish/LNBs.

As long as there is no legal restriction (HOA, etc.), it sounds like it would almost always be better to keep one multi-sat dish optimized for (example) 110 and 119 and use a separate dish for the third sat, whichever one that is. That way you have a much better chance to optimize to a higher signal strength on all three. Any debate on that...?

While you can use a d1000 outside the areas on the dish 1000 map, there isn't really any benefit. First off, the satellite at 129 is a little weak, so once you do have all three sats (110/119/129), you usually need to tweak it to boost the 129 signal which decreases the 110/119 signal (at least in my case).

Its really not worth the money unless you like experimenting with things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)