Dish 1000-what signal strength should I expect?

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
New Dish 1000 install tomorrow...what levels should I make sure I'm getting before I let the installer leave? From what I've read, it sounds like it's tough to get all three birds (110/119/129) with strong signals, and 129 is the toughest. Live in central Illinois FWIW.

Thoughts?

i'm just north of houston and get 85-110 on sat 110, about 105 on sat 119 and 75-90 on sat 129 with a vip211 receiver.

The 129 has been coming in stronger lately. Got a 91 on it the other day when before I was doing good just to get it into the 70s.

I don't know what Dish did but hopefully they have fixed for good whatever the problem was.

The 129 has been coming in stronger lately. Got a 91 on it the other day when before I was doing good just to get it into the 70s.

I don't know what Dish did but hopefully they have fixed for good whatever the problem was.

Its probably not a permanent fix. One of the problems with that satellite (there are several) is that a number of the gyroscopes that normally keep it pointing in a stable direction failed. There are one or two left, but not enough for a really stable platform.

The problem maifests itself as a slow drift of the satellite -- imagine a flashlight shining on a wall -- thats the signal beam, now rotate the beam around the central point on the wall -- notice how the center stays well illuminated, but the edges alternate between light and semi-dark? That is what is happening.

They can correct the drift with rocket motors, but that burns fuel. When the fuel is gone, the satellite is dead. They only correct when they really have to.

I think we just saw a correction.

It will be nice to know on what transponder you saw 91. TP31 and TP30 are the highest ones while the others sit in the mid 70s and 80s.

New Dish 1000 install tomorrow...what levels should I make sure I'm getting before I let the installer leave? From what I've read, it sounds like it's tough to get all three birds (110/119/129) with strong signals, and 129 is the toughest. Live in central Illinois FWIW.

Thoughts?

Just got it installed. Intially was over 100 on 110 and 119 but only 70 on 129. The installer thought that was fine, but I asked him to try to get more on the 129 due to rain fade...and told him I was willing to give up a little on the other two.

Now getting on TP 11 in the mid-90s on 110 and 119 and low 80s for 129...so thought that was a good compromise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)