Dish 1000 Wiring Question

mtodriscoll

Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Background
I've had a Dish 1000 installed for a couple years - work done by a DishNetwork contractor. I've been a DishNetwork customer since 1996... The current dish has one cable running from the dish into my basement where all the rooms in the house have their TV cables run to the same corner. At time of original install, I only had one receiver - a DP301 (single tuner). So that one cable ran through a barrel connector to the one TV. easy-peasy

I've recently obtained 2 more DP301 receivers (cheaply) and would like to connect them to the Dish 1000. After reading posts here, I've read that I can use a DP34 as long as I run 3 cables (RG6) from the Dish 1000 the multiswitch, and then run a single line to each receiver (these are already pulled). I realize this won't support dual-tuner receivers and I'm OK with that...

Currently there is only that one cable running from the Dish1000 into the house. At the dish, there are 3 cables coming out of the LNB arm. It appears 2 cables, which are short, are connected/looped together through a barrel connector on the back of the dish/arm, and the 3rd cable runs to the house.

The Questions
What's up with the 2 cables being fed back into each other - and how are all 3 satellite signals getting into the house on a single cable? How do I get from that cabling, to where I need to be - i.e. 3 cables from the Dish to the house? What do I need to do at the Dish 1000 - unscrew and detach the 2 short cables and replace with the ends of the new longer RG6 runs? Can I leave the LNBs connected, or do I have to unscrew/disconnect them to get the new cables attached? I'd hate to have to realign the dish just so I could hook up some cables...
If I have to take the LNBs off - what will the insides look like - i.e. will there be more than one coax connection there for me to (mis)connect to, or will it be obvious which one I should connect to?

Thanks in advance for any help...

What's up with the 2 cables being fed back into each other - and how are all 3 satellite signals getting into the house on a single cable? How do I get from that cabling, to where I need to be - i.e. 3 cables from the Dish to the house? What do I need to do at the Dish 1000 - unscrew and detach the 2 short cables and replace with the ends of the new longer RG6 runs? Can I leave the LNBs connected, or do I have to unscrew/disconnect them to get the new cables attached? I'd hate to have to realign the dish just so I could hook up some cables...
If I have to take the LNBs off - what will the insides look like - i.e. will there be more than one coax connection there for me to (mis)connect to, or will it be obvious which one I should connect to?

that a lots of questions

answers #1 they are connected because the guy didn't want to take LNB off

#2 you have DPP twin so there is input for 3rd sat. one cable per box

#3 the LNB can only run 2 boxes after that you need external switch (34) one line per satellite

#4 take LNBs off be gentle don't bump or attack the dish run one line from dual or single LNB, and 2 from Twin LNB on left hand side not on the right it is input you can disconnect existing cable

You have a DP single lnb and a DPP twin lnb. The twin has 2 ports and one lnb input port. The cable connected together runs from the single lnb to the lnb input port. In order to get all satellites from the dish to the switch, you need to run 3 wires. The wires are connected to the 2 ports on the twin and one wire to the single lnb. You must disconnect the short wire that is running from the single to the lnb in port on the twin. Hope that helps

Wow - both are great responses. Thanks! Now I know both what I need to do, and what it is going on with the current install. Enquiring mind and all that...
Hopefully cable isn't too expensive... :)
Thanks again.

If you are using a DPP Twin and a DP single/dual you can not use a DP34 switch. You'd either have to swap the DPP Twin for a DP Twin or the DP34 for a DPP44. I think the LNB swap might be a little cheaper, but the switch swap will make working with dual tuner receivers easier.

If you are using a DPP Twin and a DP single/dual you can not use a DP34 switch. You'd either have to swap the DPP Twin for a DP Twin or the DP34 for a DPP44. I think the LNB swap might be a little cheaper, but the switch swap will make working with dual tuner receivers easier.

I'm pretty sure you can use a DPP twin like a DP twin if you hook up both ports. Just run all three lines(DPP and Dual) to the 34 switch and the DPP capabilities are negated.

dpp twin will either burn out the 44 switch or the 44 switch will burn the dpp.. 6 months tops.

if your gonna run three lines just use duals.. same work less money

"dpp twin will either burn out the 44 switch or the 44 switch will burn the dpp.. 6 months tops."

Huh, they're both Dish Pro Plus. The DPP Twin was designed for the DPP44 switch. I hope you meant that it will burn out the DP34.

Don't use a DPP twin with a DP34 switch. It will give you problems. May not at first but it will give you problems.

Is that just a problem with the 34 switch then? I ran two lines to my 625 using a DPP about 3 months ago just to see how well it would work and just never changed it. I do recall reading something about the DPP/34 switch thing a while back, now that you mention it. I've never had to deal with it since I always use Duals when hooking up a 34.

"dpp twin will either burn out the 44 switch or the 44 switch will burn the dpp.. 6 months tops."

Huh, they're both Dish Pro Plus. The DPP Twin was designed for the DPP44 switch. I hope you meant that it will burn out the DP34.

That was my understanding as well. It's safe to use a DP Twin with EITHER a DP34 or DPP44. It is safe to use a DPP Twin with a DPP44. But it is NOT safe to use a DPP Twin with a DP34.

"But it is NOT safe to use a DPP Twin with a DP34."

At least that's what Dish Network engineers tell us. I know a few members that have DPP Twins with DP34 with no problems but engineers have told us that the DPP Twin LNB requires more power and the receivers are working harder than they're supossed to powering the DP34 and the DPP Twin.

the reason i say no dpp twin and 44+ is that we tried that set up 4 or 5 times and had to replace them each so we quit using that combo altogether. maybe just a bad run of luck for our depot and to be honest i feel its a waste of equipment.. id use one or the other but not both together

I'm pretty sure you can use a DPP twin like a DP twin if you hook up both ports. Just run all three lines(DPP and Dual) to the 34 switch and the DPP capabilities are negated.

No, DPP twins are incompatable with 34 switches. They tend to destroy the switch. When the DPP twins first came out a lot of technicians weren't clear on it, and connected them to 34 switches. The DPP functions passed through, but it only worked for a while. After about 3-4 months, the single tuner boxes would stop working, and then the dual tuner ones would. Every time I've seen a DPP twin connected to a 34 switch, it's ruined the switch and sometimes the twin. DP twins and DP quads will work with 34 switches, but I avoid using twins with switches in all circumstances, as there is less chance of failure when using duals with a switch.

Clarification

I'm just catching up again with all the replies. Now it sounds like I shouldn't have purchased the DP34 switch after all... rats. Oh well, I can just put it right back on eBay I suppose.

So to be clear - what I need is 3 runs of RG6 from the DPP Twin (one for each satellite's LNB) running to a DPP44 multiswitch, then a single cable running from the DPP44 outputs to each of the 3 receivers in the house. Right?

I don't feel much like buying new LNBs just so I can use the DP34 switch. This is starting to turn into a lot of $$$ and effort just so I can get 2 more TVs running in the house...

I'm starting to wonder if I should just call DishNetwork and tell them what I have and let them schedule a service call. By the time I purchase all the RG6 cables and a DPP44, it might cost the same thing. (?) I've only ever called Dish for the initial installation in 1996 and an upgrade in 2005 - both of which came with service changes (local channels in the latter case). Would it be cheaper to buy the switch and run the cables myself?

I'm just catching up again with all the replies. Now it sounds like I shouldn't have purchased the DP34 switch after all... rats. Oh well, I can just put it right back on eBay I suppose.

So to be clear - what I need is 3 runs of RG6 from the DPP Twin (one for each satellite's LNB) running to a DPP44 multiswitch, then a single cable running from the DPP44 outputs to each of the 3 receivers in the house. Right?

I don't feel much like buying new LNBs just so I can use the DP34 switch. This is starting to turn into a lot of $$$ and effort just so I can get 2 more TVs running in the house...

I'm starting to wonder if I should just call DishNetwork and tell them what I have and let them schedule a service call. By the time I purchase all the RG6 cables and a DPP44, it might cost the same thing. (?) I've only ever called Dish for the initial installation in 1996 and an upgrade in 2005 - both of which came with service changes (local channels in the latter case). Would it be cheaper to buy the switch and run the cables myself?

Service call might run you $100. Are you comfortable running two lines to a dual tuner receiver? If so, I may be able to help you out making this work for you. PM me.

No, DPP twins are incompatable with 34 switches. They tend to destroy the switch. When the DPP twins first came out a lot of technicians weren't clear on it, and connected them to 34 switches. The DPP functions passed through, but it only worked for a while. After about 3-4 months, the single tuner boxes would stop working, and then the dual tuner ones would. Every time I've seen a DPP twin connected to a 34 switch, it's ruined the switch and sometimes the twin. DP twins and DP quads will work with 34 switches, but I avoid using twins with switches in all circumstances, as there is less chance of failure when using duals with a switch.

Yep. The concensus is pretty clear on the DPP/34 thing. I guess I never really knew that because I've never tried it. DPP Twins serve only one purpose as far as I'm concerned. I agree using duals for 34 AND 44. Which brings me to ask, what is the point of the DPP Twin even being compatible with the 44? Is this so customers can install the switch without having to buy different lnbs too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts