dish 500 installation questions (how to split connection)?

patriots39

Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
I have a Dish 500 with Dual LNBF in my second house, i am bringing my extra receivers, 311 and HD VIP211 to the house for the summer. Here is my question, I originally had DISH wire the summer place with Dual receivers 311, (2) of them that fed 4 rooms. I checked out the wiring in the basement and the install is 2 cables fromt the DISH that are split with UHF/VHF modulators for the extra rooms. My issue is that i want ALL 4 rooms to have their OWN DISH receiver and NOT SHARE with a DUAL receiver over VHF.

QUESTION HOW DO I GET THE SIGNAL SHARED TO ALL 4 rooms, do i need a different SWITCH IS what i was thinking? thanks for your help, I can only GET the 2 primary rooms to work right now that had boxes previously, the other 2 rooms get no signal...

Kevin

311 is not a dual tuner... So if you have 311's installed you are sharing video with the other room and not getting a separate feed.. If you had dual tuners all four rooms would have independent feeds.. If you have 322 dual tuners then I am not sure why you need separate boxes if the 4 rooms have independent feeds.. A little more info (correct info) would be most helpful

As far as the actual setup, IF it was originaly wired for two dual tuners the two feeds going to the other rooms were designed for modulated output only.. And you would probably have a Dish Pro Plus LNB on your dish that that has either two outputs (Dish 500) or three outputs (Dish 1000.2) If you truly want 4 separate receivers to work you would need to make sure all 4 rooms cables run back to the dish and you would have to change the LNB for a Dish Pro Quad which has 4 outputs.. This will only work if you want 4 single recievers which for some reason is what I got from your post.

Can't he just buy this?

This is probably the right answer. The OP said "the install is 2 cables fromt the DISH that are split with UHF/VHF modulators ", which is a little confusing. This sounds like the 2 receivers each have 2 cables, and the outputs of the 2 receivers are then fed to the modulators.

So assuming (a very dangerous word!) that the cables are all RG6 (all that's required for a Dish500, right?), the OP just needs to take the 2 cables from the satellite, feed them into the DP34 switch, then take the 4 outputs to the 4 receivers.

What is needed is just a little more info..

Yes a DP34 switch would work.. But not if he has a Dish Pro Plus LNB on the dish.. They don't play well with each other.. So if he has to get another LNB there would be no since in buying a switch too.. A quad would serve the purpose..

So again.. A little more info before we can give real good answers

What is needed is just a little more info..

Yes a DP34 switch would work.. But not if he has a Dish Pro Plus LNB on the dish.. They don't play well with each other.. So if he has to get another LNB there would be no since in buying a switch too.. A quad would serve the purpose..

So again.. A little more info before we can give real good answers
Then he would need this one , Right?
DISH Network DPP-44 VideoPath Dish Pro Plus 4x4 Cascadable Multiswitch (DPP44) 129349 | DPP44 (129349) [DISH Network] | DishPro DP-44 DPP DPP 44 DP44 Dp-44 DP 44 dp pro + 44 switch multiplexer

If he wants to spend $150 for a switch.. A quad would cost about $30 or $40.. Again.. We still don't know what he wants or needs.. He hasn't come back and given any more info. If he just wants 4 single receivers he just needs a quad.. THe DPP44 would only be needed if he wanted 4 dual tuner receivers. That's it. Nothing else to say till we hear from the OP

you answered my question, i do have a dual LNB, and i did return 322's (2 of them) when i cancelled the acct. I have a sep acct with another address, and wanted to share boxes. My mistake was i thought that DISH was easy to split like basic cable. I now realize that i need a QUAD or an expensive splitter.... thanks for your help...or i can go back to the 322's, the issue is i bought a new 311 and a dual LNB already....
thanks for the info much appreciated

one last comment, i do have a dish pro plus dual lnb that i bot at solid signal. i am getting from your response that i shouldnt waste time with the dp34?? and jsut bite the bullett with a Quad LNB???

The DP34 doesn't play well with a Dish Pro Plus LNB. You can get two dual LNB's and the DP34 switch to achieve the same results if you want. Whatever you can find cheapest. A wuad would be the easiest/ Just depends on where you find one as to what it cost. A used one would be cheapest if you can find one

a dp-34 is a legacy switch and 311 are not legacy always remember not to mix legacy and dp-pro on the same system

a dp-34 is a legacy switch and 311 are not legacy always remember not to mix legacy and dp-pro on the same system

a DP34 is not legacy... the dp stands for DishPro
If it was "legacy" it would start with SW

and even if it were a legacy switch, all DP receivers are backward compatible and work fine with legacy switches and lnb's

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)