Dish 522 PiP super-minimize

pjmrt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
If this is coverend in an archived thread, apologies. I could not locate it. On the 522, is there a way to have PiP go to an icon instead of a window taking up space on the screen (in effect, buffering the 2nd tuner while maintaining everything on the current tuner).?

On the 721, you could do this with the "Dish" button on the remote. Pressing it would cycle through the normal PiP modes, but the final push would take you to a little rabbit-ear like icon. Pressing SWAP would then swap between the tuners, each of which would occupy the screen unimpeded. Seems like one ought to be do something similar, but I cannot find a way yet. Any ideas? Thanks.

On the 721 both tuners are not always open, so micro pip was a way to keep the tuner open. On all the newer receivers, both tuners are always open and tuned to something... so you can just swap them.

Thanks. That does seem to work. Doing some additional experimentation, I found you do have to be careful if you engage PiP mode while having something buffered you want to back up to - closing out of PiP mode resets the insert tuner buffer. But swapping works just fine.

I still like the micro-PiP better though. The little icon was a reminder that I had something buffered on the other tuner I was watching.

Thanks. That does seem to work. Doing some additional experimentation, I found you do have to be careful if you engage PiP mode while having something buffered you want to back up to - closing out of PiP mode resets the insert tuner buffer. But swapping works just fine.

I still like the micro-PiP better though. The little icon was a reminder that I had something buffered on the other tuner I was watching.

The 522 and subsequent DishPro and ViP 2 tuner DVR models SHOULD NOT reset the buffer after closing out the PIP. Either something is wrong with your box or you may be misinterpreting something. A software update from quite some time ago allowed for the PIP insert buffer not to jump to live when closed. At least that is how I remember my 625 experience.

The 522 and subsequent DishPro and ViP 2 tuner DVR models SHOULD NOT reset the buffer after closing out the PIP. Either something is wrong with your box or you may be misinterpreting something. A software update from quite some time ago allowed for the PIP insert buffer not to jump to live when closed. At least that is how I remember my 625 experience.

S/W should be up to date. I successfully swapped between two channels that were buffered for over an hour on one, about 20 minutes on the other. But I pulled it up on PiP, then closed it and pulled it up again and only could back it up by less than a minute. Seems like that would have to be S/W, especially when the swap works just fine and I could back it up over the entire buffer period.

S/W should be up to date. I successfully swapped between two channels that were buffered for over an hour on one, about 20 minutes on the other. But I pulled it up on PiP, then closed it and pulled it up again and only could back it up by less than a minute. Seems like that would have to be S/W, especially when the swap works just fine and I could back it up over the entire buffer period.

Then it is NOT working as it should. Both tuners should continue to buffer for 2 hours so long as the channel is not changed, a recording does not start or you don't playback a DVR event. If you are, in fact, leaving each tuner tuned and use only trick play, PIP, Swap, or Position, you should have uninterrupted buffering for both channels. Don't change channels because that will dump the buffer. If you are doing everything correctly, then, confirm the latest software version, and if it is the latest, then, by all means, get the box replaced and enjoy the buffer as it was meant to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)