Dish 612 DVR goes out every night

tigermike

Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Atlanta area
I have a Dish 612 DVR in my bedroom and a 722 DVR in the living room with another television in the basement that gets a signal from the 722. Every night around 8-9 pm the 612 loses its satellite connection and it doesn't come back online until morning. The problems started on an occasional basis after we got HD, but now it is every friggin' night. The 722 and the set downstairs are fine. The Dish technicians can't understand what's going on. Any ideas?

I would guess a bad cable outside, based on the fact that most of us run A/C and the inside temp doesn't change much. It could also be a bad LNB or switch.

I had issues with my 612. It would hang, not respond to the remote or front panel and would take a minute to show video once you change the channel.

Dish replaced it and the new one has been much better. Still reboots once in a while during the day.

Had a computer tech tell me tonight how he USED to have Dish Network but had issues with his DVR. It was the 612. He ended up canceling and going with another provider.

I would make an attempt to at least try to narrow down where the problem. (unless it never works now)

Switch the 612 and the receiver that never goes out. Does the 612 still go out? Does the other receiver now go out?

Had a computer tech tell me tonight how he USED to have Dish Network but had issues with his DVR. It was the 612. He ended up canceling and going with another provider.

Great info, I'll switch to Direct first chance I get........:rolleyes:

Great info, I'll switch to Direct first chance I get........:rolleyes:

lol!
of course, direct would never install a receiver that might have a problem!

but yeah for the OP
what tampa said.
its most likely a cable issue, swapping receivers will tell you.
or...you can just call dish and have them send another tech who knows what he is doing to fix it for you. your statement that the dish technicians cant figure out what is going on is frustrating. if i am the 2nd 3rd or even 4th tech out on a job, i dont need to figure out whats going on, i just replace everything and then it works. if your previous techs havent fixed the problem, its time to complain!

tigermike, I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of years ago. The problem turned out to be LNB drift. The drift was related to the outside temperature. As the temperature increased, the LNB drift increased. In the morning it was cooler and everything worked well. As the day went on and the temperature increased the LNB drift increased. Eventually, all channels would cut out.

You can check LNB drift on the point dish screen in the setup menu. This might not be your problem, but I thought I would mention it as something you should check with the symptoms that you described.

Last edited:
It's not a cabling issue. The 612 receiver is just a mistake that dish keeps sweeping under the rug. I work for an RSP for dish and everytime I install a 612 I have problems. It's just a horribly made piece of equipment. Whenever I have install with that box on it, I change it over to a 722k.

sca said:
lol!
of course, direct would never install a receiver that might have a problem!

but yeah for the OP
what tampa said.
its most likely a cable issue, swapping receivers will tell you.
or...you can just call dish and have them send another tech who knows what he is doing to fix it for you. your statement that the dish technicians cant figure out what is going on is frustrating. if i am the 2nd 3rd or even 4th tech out on a job, i dont need to figure out whats going on, i just replace everything and then it works. if your previous techs havent fixed the problem, its time to complain!

AMEN!!!!

Aconek said:
It's not a cabling issue. The 612 receiver is just a mistake that dish keeps sweeping under the rug. I work for an RSP for dish and everytime I install a 612 I have problems. It's just a horribly made piece of equipment. Whenever I have install with that box on it, I change it over to a 722k.

So the CSR doesn't charge an "upgrade fee" for changing to the 722?

They only pay an extra 6 bucks a month for TV2, which I convincingly talk the customer into. Now the rest of their house is wired with a tv2 mirror, and I don't have to keep going back to swap out their 612s until I find a good one.

It's been a couple weeks now since I've had a bad one right out of the box. I think our shop must of just been shipped a few bad pallets, probably weeded out by now.

I have a 612 and this sounds like the hard drive could be going bad. I had a similar problem in that the receiver started doing wacky things after running for a while and eventually would go out. Once it had sat over night I was able to use it again. This didn't go on very long as the drive ended up failing and they replaced the receiver. No problems on the replacement 612.

I suppose it could have been there were a lot of read/write errors on certain sectors of the drive and during a certain period of night maybe it would routinely hit this part of the disk and cause the issues. I have no idea, but I did get the impression the firmware in the box doesn't deal with type of error very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts