DISH 622 vs D*'s HR20

RockinRight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Any overall comparisons?

From what I've seen, the HR20 does have a better interface, and better integration of OTA locals (now that they FINALLY enabled it) than the 622 does. Also, IIRC doesn't the 622 only show EPG data for stations that are included in your own locals subscription? IOW if you live in Frederick, MD, DC DMA, and subscribe to the DC locals package, but also have Baltimore locals OTA will the 622 show the EPG for the Balt. stations? I think the HR20 does.

DISH programming is better bar none though, except for NFL Sunday ticket which is out of my price range anyway.

Only advantage to the receiver themselves I found is having subchannel data on D*. E* is stingy. Actually with D* you get guide data even if you deceide to cancel your locals and save $3. Once they turn on OTA anyway, which started rolling today.

I like both units, and had both units at the start, and had problems with both at the start. Right now, the E* 622 is more stable, but it has a 6 month head start. Actually, if you consider it like the 942, it has a few years head start.

I switched to D* for HD RSN & better HD LiL - D* has My20 in HD which has local sports - E* has no plans to add CW/MY feeds. Actually, it is starting to look like E* has no plans for HD RSNs too :)

Hardware wise, I've been happy with both, having used both at least 3 months.

Email I got from D* recently

The question I sent to them.

I would like to know 2 things. Why are there no HD DVR's available for new customers? I live in Lubbock where would I get my HDTV network channels from. It is my understanding that your HD DVR doesn't pick up over the air channels and Directv doesn't carry my locals. The only way I would consider you is if I get the national nets in HD. Right now I use another competitor and won't change unless I can get an HD DVR.

Their reply to me.

Thanks for writing. I’m excited that our new HD DVR has you thinking about joining the DIRECTV family. We’re excited about this new receiver and so is everyone else – in fact, demand has been so high we don’t have any in stock. We’ve had increased production on the HD DVR in order to meet the demand and we hope to have it back in stock soon.

In the meantime, we have some options available that will get you signed up for DIRECTV and on a priority waiting list for the HD DVR as soon as possible. Just call us at 1-800-DIRECTV (800-347-4388) and lease a standard definition DVR or (non-DVR) HD receiver and once we have the HD DVR in stock we will call you to upgrade.

Once you place your order, visit directv.com/hddvr and click on “Priority Registration” to add your account to the upgrade call list. When it’s time to upgrade to the HD DVR, the cost of your original receiver (if any) will be deducted from the cost of the HD DVR - this way you don’t have to pay for two receivers and you may be eligible for a rebate that will save you even more.

Thanks for writing and we look forward to having you as part the DIRECTV family very soon.

Sincerely,

Tates 100136479
DIRECTV Customer Service

I'm on the waiting list too. It doesn't look like they addressed your local channel situation at all. I prefer commercial skip of the 622 over the HR20 but my audio breaks up some. The 622 also shows amount of recording space available better also. They are both very nice though.

Agreed

I'm on the waiting list too. It doesn't look like they addressed your local channel situation at all. I prefer commercial skip of the 622 over the HR20 but my audio breaks up some. The 622 also shows amount of recording space available better also. They are both very nice though.

Yeah I didn't even bother to rply since they didn't bother to read the question and just sent a reply that was vaguely related to DNS.

The features that I like better on the 622: The commercial skip actually skips instead of doing a fast forward, the 300x fast forward speed that allows you to quickly scan through a program, the dual outputs that allow my wife to watch a different recorded program in the bedroom without needing an additional DVR, the built stereo modulators that allow me to send both outputs to the kitchen, bedroom, etc., and the ability to record three programs while watching two recorded programs.

Not on mine, have heard Dish working on it, still waiting on this one. This seems to be a Dish software glitch as the other receivers do not show some info as well.

Wash DC locals are showing all the sub-channel stuff now. Even the PBS (WETA) with 4 channels (26-01 thru 26-04) have all the guide data now. MUCH nicer.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)