Dish 622 vs. Sony Receiver

ixman

Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Friends:

This issue has been driving me crazy. If anyone knows anything about this, please do let me know!

The players:

Dish 622 DVR HD (DVR)
Sony STR-DG820 with three HDMI inputs (Receiver)
Sony XSRD 61" (TV)

The problem:

- Connect DVR to TV input #6 via HDMI: Get audio and video.

- Connect DVR to Receiver's SAT input via HDMI cable, then another HDMI cable from the Receiver Monitor Out to the same input #6: Get audio but no video.

Supporting details:

- Sent Receiver to Sony, who sent it back saying there's nothing wrong with it - twice.

- Took Receiver to Circuit City and hooked up a Blu-Ray to the Receiver and then to a TV they had there. It worked fine.

- When I say no video, I mean that the TV seems to be trying to decode something, as the screen goes completely black (which it does not do if it simply is receiving no input at all, like say if the DVR were off, then it shows which input is on: #1, #2, etc...), but that's where it stops. Multi-channel audio is present and nice, but no video at all.

- DVR is set to 1080, though I tried 720 with the same result.

- Same result, by the way, using component video connection between DVR and Receiver (though I was routing an HDMI from the Receiver to the TV).

I'm thinking it's something between the DVR and the Receiver, but what? Are they just incompatible? Again, I connect the DVR to the TV via HDMI, and it works fine. But the Receiver is out of the loop, then, of course.

Please help a guy in distress. I've been at this for months now, between sending this back and forth places. If I had money, I'd just chuck it, but I can't. If anyone knows something related to this, I'd sure love your input.

Thanks a million!

Bob

Early 622's were plagued with bad HDMI ports. Could be the problem. Talk to Dish tech support. They will probably send a replacement.

Thanks, KAB.

Remember that the 622 connects to the TV, via HDMI, just fine.

Think there's be a difference? I suppose at this point I'd try anything.

Thanks, KAB.

Remember that the 622 connects to the TV, via HDMI, just fine.

Think there's be a difference? I suppose at this point I'd try anything.
Ooops. Well, if push comes to shove, use optical to your receiver. No quality difference.

Brad:

Thanks. I'm trying to understand how I might do this if I have no video output when it's connected to the A/V.

Wait. I *could* hook the 622 via component video and use that to view the menues? I'll give it a try....

OK, the HDMI test *seemed* to come out OK. I saw the word "Valid" twice, along with many menus of data.

The folks at Dish don't seem to think so. They say there might be some "syncr" issues between the Dish and the A/V.

However, I suppose it's at least functional for now using Component video from Dish to TV, and audio from the Receiver using HDMI.

Not the cool, one-cable solution I was looking for, buuuuttttt......

Is this Sony receiver just for surround sound or just audio of some kind? If so, connect the DVR to the TV via HDMI and use the TV audio output to the audio equipment. Then turn of the TV speaker.

Is this Sony receiver just for surround sound or just audio of some kind? If so, connect the DVR to the TV via HDMI and use the TV audio output to the audio equipment. Then turn of the TV speaker.
You never want to go out of TV to AV. Most TV's will not pass DD.

Some A/V receiver have assignable HDMI video sources. I recently ran into an install where I could get audio but no video via component cables through a very nice Yamaha receiver. Turns out the component video input on the Yamaha was assigned to a different component and I had to change the video source in the Yamaha to pass the satellite signal instead of, for example, another DVD or BD player.

If your satellite receiver works fine, TV works fine, obviously the holdup is in your Sony. Is it an older model? The STR-DG820 on Sony's website has four HDMI inputs. Have you tried component video if you have the cables? The inputs don't appear to be assignable, but the pictures don't say much. I only have an older STR-DE985 to play with, but it can display different video than the audio though it's not a true assignable input feature.

If all else fails, just run HDMI to the TV and optical to the Sony for your digital audio.

I know the previous generation of Sony receivers had some weird issues where one HDMI port would work fine with a non-Sony device and the other one wouldn't.

Have you tried ALL FOUR HDMI ports? As many said you can run component (better picture anyway) video and Toslink for audio, but that's four cables (plus another 3 to the TV as I don't think the 820 transcodes). I can understand only wanting to run one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts