Dish 625 question

dogthenine

Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Hello,
I have a dish 625 and am wanting to know if there is a way to get the receiver to wake itself up without having to press select, after it preforms the nightly update? I have tried the autotune timer, but it didn't work. The "press select" screensaver is so annoying.

Thanks in advance for any help,
dogthenine

There is a way to turn off the inactivity option.

Menu ---> Preference ----> Inactivity Standby

You can shut off the automatic updates. Is that what your referring to?

Menu ---> Preferences ----> Updates

After the necessary nightly updates, the system displays the "press select" screensaver. This is not the inactivity display, I have that disabled.

I want to know if there is a way to get the system to "wake itself" up, without having to press select everytime I turn it on in the morning?

If it's a huge deal, you could always just set a timer for a show in the early morning hours. That way you wouldn't have to see the "press select" logo.

After the necessary nightly updates, the system displays the "press select" screensaver. This is not the inactivity display, I have that disabled.

I want to know if there is a way to get the system to "wake itself" up, without having to press select everytime I turn it on in the morning?

YES! Do both as earlier suggested: disable the inactivity stand by; and disable daily updates. Now you can program an auto-tune timer, and it should fire. However, you will need to manually "turn off" (really putting it into stand by mode) your box when you are not watching it--just as you would turn off your TV-- so that the box can download any necessary software to function properly.

I am having the exact same issue on my new DVR-625

Hi!

I don't have any daily timers (auto-tune or otherwise) on my 625. I tried to 'disable' Inactivity StandBy and it does not seem to matter. The screensaver is always there when I turn my TV on in the morning?

Is the manual timer a 'workaround' for a software problem? Could someone explain how the 'Inactivity StandBy' works? Enable vs. Disable?

Hi!

I don't have any daily timers (auto-tune or otherwise) on my 625. I tried to 'disable' Inactivity StandBy and it does not seem to matter. The screensaver is always there when I turn my TV on in the morning?

Is the manual timer a 'workaround' for a software problem? Could someone explain how the 'Inactivity StandBy' works? Enable vs. Disable?

You need to disable BOTH inactivity standby and "Daily Updates" (really diagnostics) feature. If that doesn't work, let us know. If you don't perform the "Daily Updates" a few times a week (remember, it is really a maintenance/diagnostic routine), after several days, your box may start to behave strangely. I learned that lesson the hard way, and now I let it update (run the diagnostic) setting a different time for it to do so, and now I don't have problems.

If you want the update to run at night, you can create an autotune timer that will turn the DVR back on. I set one for an hour after the shutdown time.

Can I control the time for Daily Updates?

You need to disable BOTH inactivity standby and "Daily Updates" (really diagnostics) feature. If that doesn't work, let us know. If you don't perform the "Daily Updates" a few times a week (remember, it is really a maintenance/diagnostic routine), after several days, your box may start to behave strangely. I learned that lesson the hard way, and now I let it update (run the diagnostic) setting a different time for it to do so, and now I don't have problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and do that and let you know how it works out.

Setting the Auto-Tune timer works on TV1. The 'Select' no longer appears in the mornings. I did not want to explore the other option of 'turning off daily updates', since I did not know what potential problems that it might cause.

The Auto-Tune timer worked like a charm. I set it to tune to my favorite channel at 4am (presumably after the receiver goes to sleep mode following daily updates).

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts