Dish 811 and optical output (1 Viewer)

Ron2nd2nd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 4, 2003
I have a Sony 5.1 amplifier that has just one optical input, but have 3 devices that I want to hook up to it. The 811,508 and my DVD player. Right now I just have the 811 going to it. Is there a device that I can buy that can take all 3 into 1 withoout much problems or money?

Ron

Martimus

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 3, 2004
Ron2nd2nd said:
I have a Sony 5.1 amplifier that has just one optical input, but have 3 devices that I want to hook up to it. The 811,508 and my DVD player. Right now I just have the 811 going to it. Is there a device that I can buy that can take all 3 into 1 withoout much problems or money?

Ron

Radio Shack has a manual switch available that could allow you to switch between 4 toslink inputs. The RS part number is 15-1586 and it costs around $20. If you want to simply combine the three signals onto one cable, this might get a bit more tricky.

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
I picked up a box from Inday that does 4x1 digital switching, outputing both Toslink and Coaxial, for about $120. It has an IR remote, so it can be controlled by a learning remote. Here's a link to the DA4X-R. It also has coaxial priority on inputs, so you can use it to automatically select between two devices.

M Law

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Not familiar with devices that switch just optical audio, but haven't been looking for one either. There are several devices that will switch both component/composite video AND analog/digital audio. If you think you might have the need for switching component inputs down the road, it may be worth going with a switch that will do both now rather than buy a separate device later.

You don't mention how you want to activate the switch, whether manually or by remote or automatically, this is going to make a big difference in the cost. A quick google search produced manual switches for around $30.

I bought the Audio Authority 1154 to switch component video (it also switches audio), for about $180 and it works like a champ. If you think you might have a need for component switching later, you might want to take a look at it or comparable products.

bigthrust

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 30, 2004
Cheap solution = Radio Shack TOSLINK manual switch

"Money no object" solution = buy a newer, better receiver.

Digital audio connections (I prefer optical TOSLINK :music) are by far the best sounding. My Denon receiver has 3 inputs and makes a world of difference over analog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts