Dish 811 + Harmony880 remote???

roachxp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 13, 2005
Massachusetts
I was wondering if anyone who has the Harmony 880 tell me how to get the 811 into IR mode. The Logitech site was confusing and noticed a few people use this remote with this box.

I would think Logitech's customer support would have a way to teach the remote to run the 811. It's been a while since I looked at the Harmonys but I seem to recall their CS being godlike in their ability to make the Harmony work with just about anything. If all else fails you can try to train the Harmony like any other learning remote.

Hit Menu -> System Setup -> Diagnostics there is an option to teach remote. It's kind of screwy to use. This uses the 811 box to teach your remote. Once you are in the teach remote mode whatever key you push on the 811 remote will cause the 811 to send the IR signal for that key.

I haven't used the Harmony remote (hope to one of these days) but I did train a MS MCE remote to run the 811 using this. You'll need to get the Harmony into learning mode and hold it with the Harmony's receiver facing the 811's emitter. Then you press whatever key on the 811 remote you want to teach your learning remote. The 811 will send the appropriate IR command and hopefully your learning remote will pick it up.

Not sure if this will help you at all. I'd give Logitech a call before going to the hassle of trying to teach the Harmony.

I have it working with a 688.
I think you have to make the receiver default to channel 1 on the 811.
(it tells you when you go thru the setup menu)

Roachxp-

Starting at the Harmony's 'Home' page:
Add a device, pick 'channel decoder', then 'satellite'
Choose Echostar, type in 811

That should get you the 811 in your device list. Then add an activity to 'Watch TV' or customize the 'Watch TV' activity you've already got (pick 'Run the Setup Wizard Again').

If it sounds complicated, blame my writing -- the website is much easier to follow. I added a Dish 942 to my Harmony 880 two days ago.

Or do what t00ld00d said, and call Harmony's phone support folks -- they're great.

How do folks like their Harmony 880s? Worth the money? Any significant probs (other than the confusion above)? I've been eyeing them since I first spotted them on other threads/websites months ago. My 942, Sony HDTV and other new components "need" a nice new macro remote that will make my system easier to use--for all the other folks in my household;).

shanewalker said:
How do folks like their Harmony 880s? Worth the money? Any significant probs (other than the confusion above)? I've been eyeing them since I first spotted them on other threads/websites months ago. My 942, Sony HDTV and other new components "need" a nice new macro remote that will make my system easier to use--for all the other folks in my household;).

I don't have a 880 but I do have a both a Harmony 659 (wifes) and a Home Theater Master MX500. The Harmony is an OK remote but I much prefer my MX500. The HTM build quality is far superior and the batteries last 3 times longer than the 659, even though my HTM is in use twice as much. I dislike having to connect the Harmony to the computer (and be online) to perform even the most minor programming. The HTMs are simply more versatile and easier to customize. If you like the "tasked based" functionality of the Harmony it can be easily duplicated on the HTMs by using macros. Quite simply if I had it to do over again I would have bought myself an HTM MX700 and given my wife the MX500. Just my 2 cents.

NightRyder

i picked up one of these at BB a few days ago, and after spending several hours on the phone with logitech, i was unable to get it to connect to my pc. i tried 3 seperate pcs, and still no luck. on my last try, i unplugged it from the pc, and it just kept on saying "USB CONNECTED". I removed the battery, and then i couldnt get it to say anything but "no configuration". well, i went back to BB, and returned it for the only other 880 in town, and when i got that one home, i charged it, and noticed it had a whole line of dead pixles, "great" i thought. i figured i would hook it up and see if the usb issue i was having was with the remote, and sure enough, it wouldnt speak to the pc either. after unplugging, it AGAIN gave me the message of "USB CONNECTED" even tho it wasnt. well, i ended up returning that one as well, and i'm kind of burnt out on the harmony from now on. maybe mine were flukes, maybe not, i dont know, but i wont be purchasing another harmony for quite a while if ever.

I stopped using an MX500, never liked the MX700 layout, love the Harmony 676, and have tried the 880, though I don't like its layout either.

I kept feeling like the MX500 always needed just a bit more tweaking... Too bad, because I really liked the feel of the thing.

The H676 operates nearly perfectly (though I'd like some buttons a bit bigger). I have looked at quite a few remotes and can't find one that would do as good a job as the 676 does for me & my family. The setup is a bit of effort, but less than what the alternatives demand, and the result is pretty close to amazing.

buckwild said:
i picked up one of these at BB a few days ago, and after spending several hours on the phone with logitech, i was unable to get it to connect to my pc. i tried 3 seperate pcs, and still no luck. on my last try, i unplugged it from the pc, and it just kept on saying "USB CONNECTED". I removed the battery, and then i couldnt get it to say anything but "no configuration". well, i went back to BB, and returned it for the only other 880 in town, and when i got that one home, i charged it, and noticed it had a whole line of dead pixles, "great" i thought. i figured i would hook it up and see if the usb issue i was having was with the remote, and sure enough, it wouldnt speak to the pc either. after unplugging, it AGAIN gave me the message of "USB CONNECTED" even tho it wasnt. well, i ended up returning that one as well, and i'm kind of burnt out on the harmony from now on. maybe mine were flukes, maybe not, i dont know, but i wont be purchasing another harmony for quite a while if ever.

Unfortunately I have heard similar stories far too often. Harmony seems to have more than its share of quality control problems. On the plus side they stand behind their product and have very good support, but I would rather have something work right to begin with. I can't say in regards to the 880 but the build quality on the earlier models just seems sub-par, My old $24.99 OFA 7200 feels more solid than the 659. If someone needs lot's of handholding and doesn't mind the expense I might recommend a Harmony but there are better remotes out there for the same or even much less (JP1) money. IMHO.

NightRyder