DISH 922 and Dish Remote Access now available in HI, AK, PR and USVI

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Got the following this morning in my inbox. :)

Great news! The ViP 922 SlingLoaded DVR receiver is now available for
new and existing customers in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S.
Virgin Islands (USVI)! (The model ViP 922 receiver was previously available
only in the continental United States.) Now customers in these areas will now
be able to enjoy a high-definition (“HD”), DVR solution for a single TV,
with simultaneous, uninterrupted and independent TV viewing between the
primary TV in the house and remote viewing on a mobile device or laptop!
This next generation receiver offers the latest top-of-the-line features,
including:

• Sleek new user interface
• Integrated Sling® technology
• 1 terabyte (TB) hard drive
• Capacitive-touch front panel controls
• Universal 32.0 UHF-2G configurable 4-component
remote control
• Dual-tuner, one-TV solution
• SD and HD output on TV1

Please keep in mind that customers are permitted to have only one (1) leased model ViP 922 receiver on their account. Customers may purchase additional model ViP 922 receivers at MSRP if they wish.

We are pleased to announce that DISH Remote Access is now available in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI)! (Previously, DISH Remote Access was available only in the continental United States.)

This means customers in Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the USVI who have a compatible receiver will now be able to enjoy control of their DVRs any time and anywhere, with the ability to schedule DVR recordings, browse and search the program guide, and view graphics and posters from television shows and movies and more, all for no additional charge! (Please keep in mind that the DISH Remote Access features that customers may access will vary depending on whether their receiver is connected to a broadband Internet connection.)

OK I do not understand why they would have had the restriction on AK and HI? I could understand USVI, PR, and other territories being some licensing issues with programming or something, but US states? Does the internet behave differently in AK & HI and I am not aware of it?

Again it makes AK & HI second class citizens for no reason. It just annoys me to see Dish not service these two states for no real reason. It is not like they had to launch a new satellite to spool down the new software. I can barely understand the HD restrictions. It is not like they are new states that popped up at the last minute and needed satellite coverage. I can understand look angles and needing larger dishes, etc. I can understand about 110 being a problem and having to carry the load on 119 and 129 alone. But, just not spooling software?

They had to shuffle things around on the transponder to fix the software download in. In addition the data feed for Dish Remote Access was not being delivered there.

But it is now. :)

I was doing some testing for Dish on this and was expecting one more test, but I guess I'm done.

Now that I can get a 922 have they solved the EHD issues, does it work like the 722s?

In the title of the thread they should mention Puerto Rico for the benefits of the members here from Puerto Rico to read it since it does not mention us a lot of people will not read it

They had to shuffle things around on the transponder to fix the software download in. In addition the data feed for Dish Remote Access was not being delivered there.

But it is now. :)

I have been using remote access for my 622 since the service was launched....I did not realize there was a restriction for AK & HI. It has been working all allong:rolleyes:

I have been using remote access for my 622 since the service was launched....I did not realize there was a restriction for AK & HI. It has been working all allong:rolleyes:

When I was testing the 922 with DRA it worked, but not all of the channels in the Alaska HD package were in the guide. It was also missing the local OTA channels. These are now in the guide. Some of the other things they had me test was being able to set timers even if the receiver was not connected to the internet. That didn't work when I started testing but did on the last test.

When I was testing the 922 with DRA it worked, but not all of the channels in the Alaska HD package were in the guide. It was also missing the local OTA channels. These are now in the guide. Some of the other things they had me test was being able to set timers even if the receiver was not connected to the internet. That didn't work when I started testing but did on the last test.
Yes DRA would have worked if you were connected to the internet, but now in those areas timers can be set to your DVR without need of an internet connection, as the timers are set via the satellite if the box is not detected as being connected to the internet. :)

Great news, well for those who didn't upgrade to a 722 tired of waiting this to happen, like me :( . I actually don't need the 2 tv option of the 722, I just need a dual tunner for my recordings. I qualified as Plan A for the Dish 'n it up upgrade and I got my 722 for free, but I was more than willing to pay the $200 upgrade fee for the 922.

Even though AK & HI are states, they are also extremely far from the conus, whereas PR is relatively close, at least to the eastern part of the continent. It's also BS that we in PR pay exactly the same for HD but are getting far less -- at least AK & HI have their own specific "packages" with a ton of HD programming. Total BS....

Peace

Even though AK & HI are states, they are also extremely far from the conus, whereas PR is relatively close, at least to the eastern part of the continent. It's also BS that we in PR pay exactly the same for HD but are getting far less -- at least AK & HI have their own specific "packages" with a ton of HD programming. Total BS....

Peace

The real gripe should be that it is not that AK/HI/PR suddenly showed up and needed service. The satellites should have been designed with them in mind to start with, not begrudgingly added later.

I live in the USVI and have a leased 922. Probably had it a little over 2 months now. Funny though it has been working great until lately. Certain Hd channels now say "blacked out in your area'. They worked fine before this update for our little corner of the world. Most are Hd movie channels like 340 & 327. Also now I don't always the thumbnail photo for the dvr recordings. They randomly come and go it puts the channel logo instead. Anymore updates for our region and it might not work at all. why ould channels all of a sudden be blacked out?

I am in the USVI also. Get the same message on my 211. Loss of local networks in HD from Chicago was a bummer. I was told by Dish that we would have the locals from the USVI and PR available by the end of January, but with their terrible production values who wants them.

Jim

The real gripe should be that it is not that AK/HI/PR suddenly showed up and needed service. The satellites should have been designed with them in mind to start with, not begrudgingly added later.

Mike: You are absolutely right. And giving the fact that they forgot about us from the start, they now need to step up and provide us with basic HD content like FOX, CBS on high-def to be able to actually enjoy NFL games... On the alternative, they should provide us with some sort of free additional "packages" or some sort of price-reduction-- because it is plainly unfair to pay the same but get a lot less HD content... Take care.

I am in the USVI also. Get the same message on my 211. Loss of local networks in HD from Chicago was a bummer. I was told by Dish that we would have the locals from the USVI and PR available by the end of January, but with their terrible production values who wants them.

Jim

Sorry to hear that you guys over at the USVI share our same grievances with Dish Network. How did you get the the local networks from Chicago in the first place? It would be cool if they allowed us to switch to a different local provider (e.g., Chicago, NYC, Phily), that way we would get those channels in HD. I hope that what they told you is right, that would be a great start. But we need a lot more HD channels than that -- the difference between HD in conus and in Puerto Rico is just plain-out ridiculous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts