Dish Accnt "Moved" no Phone but have Broadband...

I would say that is a very good question i dont see how they can tell the exact location for the IP address. but anything is possible.

A little confused here. So maybe you can clarify.
Are you asking can i use broadband instead of a phone line and not pay the phone connected fee ?
If so the answer is yes if you have a 622/722

If your asking can I have Callerid with broadband only . The answer is no. But i dont think this is what you are asking as you dont have a phone line

If your asking a more general question, can anybody tell where you are by your IP address. Then this post is probably in the wrong forum.:D

Last edited:
I was wondering if Dish would know where I was by dialing home over broadband...

With the way that most ISP have end users on DHCP they would only see you coming from a different IP at best once a day. If you wanted to piss them off, Bounce your router a everytime you call it. Good chance your going to get a new IP. If they wanted to traceroute where that IP is located or who the username was on the ISPs network would need a court order or an agreement between the ISP and the sat provider..

IMO..to much of a headache for the providers to exchange on a daily or month report.

i dont know why it wouldnt work even if your isp would give you a new ip address every day that is just common

It all depends on the ISP. Mine is a small local telco and when I go to various sites I see ads that are customized for my area somehow. I imagine if you have a larger national ISP it might not be so localizable.

The ip address gives you a rough idea of where that person is are, again your isp could pin you down exactly, but that is how they do the adverts and other sites, like meet singles in your area, but as was said the ISP would need to share what account (therefore physical location) was on that IP at that time.

IP Address Location
is an example of how they do ip lookups. but for me it says Sacramento, and im not in Sacramento, im close
BTW that is no longer my IP address !

With IP Geocaching they can find out what city you're in based on the IP block of your provider. For instance I've got Verizon FiOS and my IP addresses all resolve back to a FQDN in Portland. Those who have FiOS in New Jersey should have a resolve to a New Jersey block, etc.

Your broadband host often has a domain that pegs a general area. Here in Phoenix, my host has an address of ph.cox.net, which could tell DISH that a receiver communicating from my location was in Phoenix. That could be a problem if I did a "move" to, say, Los Angeles.

However, with posters like #13 in this thread, it appears they aren't checking yet.

I've read more than one post on here where someone has "moved" and left even their phone line plugged in with no issues. It appears as of now, they don't crack down on this. I assume Dish is more concerned with hackers and account sharing than "moving". But you know what they say about assuming.

I've read more than one post on here where someone has "moved" and left even their phone line plugged in with no issues. It appears as of now, they don't crack down on this. I assume Dish is more concerned with hackers and account sharing than "moving". But you know what they say about assuming.

I think DISH isn't really concerned because it isn't them you are ripping off, but in theory, it's your local TV stations that are getting ripped off. I'm sure if Congress made it legal, DISH would sell you every city's locals you wanted to subscribe too. However, the NAB crybabies don't want you dumping your local channels for someone else (they lose advertising market penetration). They're the ones that want to force you to watch just your city's locals. DISH probably knows about people "moving" but doesn't really care since it doesn't rip them off. Now, if Congress decided that DISH has to do something about "movers", then you would probably see enforcement from DISH by checking IP hosts, etc. Phone numbers don't mean much as people with VONAGE, etc. can have a number anywhere. In fact, I suspect that would be the solution in the future for "movers" if DISH has to crack down.

The ip address gives you a rough idea of where that person is are, again your isp could pin you down exactly, but that is how they do the adverts and other sites, like meet singles in your area, but as was said the ISP would need to share what account (therefore physical location) was on that IP at that time.

IP Address Location
is an example of how they do ip lookups. but for me it says Sacramento, and im not in Sacramento, im close
BTW that is no longer my IP address !

I just used this same search locator and my location showed New York, NY.

I am about 700 miles west of there (in Michigan), so I think the OP is fine with using Broadband for Phoning Home to Dish and "Moving"

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts