Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH NETWORK ADDS NEW ARMENIAN CHANNEL
TO INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMMING LINE-UP

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Oct. 25, 2004 - EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that its DISH Network(tm) satellite television service has added Armenia TV, an Armenian television network channel, to its international programming schedule. The addition of Armenia TV underscores DISH Network's leadership role by bringing the most comprehensive international programming offers and exclusive content to the United States. DISH Network offers more than 90 international channels from over 25 countries in more than 25 languages, including Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese and Russian.

"Here at DISH Network, we provide our customers with international programming that other pay-TV companies haven't been able to match," said Tracy Thompson, EchoStar's vice president of International Programming. "The addition of Armenia TV proves how dedicated DISH Network is to international programming, offering variety to meet every expatriate's needs."

Armenia TV, the No. 1 Armenian broadcast channel, includes the latest news and entertainment, political and social talk shows, historical and cultural programs, children's programs, movies and sports. Armenia TV features popular Armenian programming including "YO YO," a colorful children's show presented by famous artists of Armenia; and "The Century," featuring the distinguished Armenian personality of Artem Sargsyan and presenting significant facts of Armenian history weekly. Armenia TV also offers extensive coverage of Armenian Football, bringing 28 of the best matches each season to DISH Network, offering commentary by local celebrity, Souren Baghdasaryan. With a diverse range of programming, Armenia TV appeals to all ages of Armenians.

Customers can add Armenia TV on an "a la carte" basis for $14.99 a month, or customers can choose to add Armenia TV for only $9.99 a month with their existing subscriptions to the RTVi/RTVi Plus Package, Channel One Russia, NTV America, America's Top 60, America's Top 120, America's Top 180, America's Everything Pack, DISH Latino, DISH Latino Dos, DISH Latino Max, Latino Everything Pack or the Great Wall TV Package. Additional equipment may be needed to receive Armenia TV.

Customers can contact 1-800-333-DISH or their local retailer for more information on how to subscribe to any of these packages. Or customers can visit www.dishnetwork.com to learn more about DISH Network's international programming offer.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 10.1 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(tm), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last four years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. J.D. Power and Associates ranks DISH Network No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

ah yeah, more compelling content. :-/ Give me the MTVHits Channel that is found on my friends Digital Cable... or find a way to put JC TV back on! I perfer music videos :)

mattb, invest in a Ku FTA system... you'll get yer JCTV fer free (LEGALLY), plus my personal favorite, The Tube, an all music videos channel, great videos from the very earliest (hendrix, the who, stones, etc.) all the way up to modern music. No commercials (couple public service things), no tv shows, no "V"Js, ... it's in the clear, FTA.

Finacial.....

They probably did their homework and their are more Armenian's that will sign up for E* than HDTV geeks like us that just b*tch on this forum.

I think Internationals are a waste for SAT. I also think locals are a waste as well. If you want locals then get an antenna or lifeline from Cable co.

bdemz said:
I think Internationals are a waste for SAT. I also think locals are a waste as well. If you want locals then get an antenna or lifeline from Cable co.

no cable where I live and can't get them real well with an antenna. PLus I like to DVR the stuff on locals :)

ShadowEKU said:
how many armenians are in the us looking for tv to watch. honestly.. i mean come on whats next iraqi tv?

well they do have Al Jazeera on there.

I think its pretty lame they can add crap from Japan, China, Iraq, Iran, god knows where...yet they can't add the frickin CBC!

Until then, I'll keep only locals with Dish and everything else on EVu or SC

Iceberg said:
well they do have Al Jazeera on there.

I think its pretty lame they can add crap from Japan, China, Iraq, Iran, god knows where...yet they can't add the frickin CBC!

Until then, I'll keep only locals with Dish and everything else on EVu or SC

In order for them to add CBC, they would have to create CBC for US. That is because CBC has rights to US shows and hockey only for Canada.

I agree though, that they keep adding these international channels but no HD.

I am also sure that there a lot more people that want HD than there are Armenians in this country. I guess they can't charge $14.99 for one HD channel like they can for Armenian TV. Charlie is a greedy liar.

Carefull now. I personally know of several Armenians. It's hard to remember since history isn't taught so often, but many Armenians fled to America during their version of a Holocaust during World War I.

Here's a Cambridge book for those that want to learn more: http://books.cambridge.org/0521829585.htm

Here's a historical website about the attempted Genocide:
http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Sorry for the offtrack links, but the comments prior in the thread showed a lack of compassion.

Wait the minute. Nobody said there was no Armenians in US. All it was said that there is a lot more people that want HD than there are Armenians here.

As an ethnic group they are tiny compared to, for example Polish, Russian or Chinese. I remember few months ago when E* added one new Polish channel and some posts on this forum bordered on racism.

Few weeks ago they added something like six new Chinese channels and nobody pretty much said anything, even though six channels take up most of the space on one transponder.

E* better not come back and give lame excuse that there is no compelling HD programming or they have no space for them.

umm there isn't any compelling content to be added... The only channel they don't have that could be added to the HD Pak is BravoHD+ and it does suck. I wont mention INHD, cause they don't count, seperate issue.

I for one would love Starz hd and even Max hd... My Replay thats hooked up to my D* receiver shows the Hd line up for D* in the guide... Bravo hd does not look compelling :) For those with Replays hooked up to E* it seems like you have to delete new channels weekly in the guide....Been away for a few days and had to delete at least one (possiblily the Armenian)

dfergie said:
I for one would love Starz hd and even Max hd... My Replay thats hooked up to my D* receiver shows the Hd line up for D* in the guide... Bravo hd does not look compelling :) For those with Replays hooked up to E* it seems like you have to delete new channels weekly in the guide....Been away for a few days and had to delete at least one (possiblily the Armenian)
Yeah but the HD amount on Starz and Cinemax isn't close to what HBO and Showtime provide. Starz being the worst cause they show a bunch of stuff upconverted and not even true HD.

as for deleting channels, I have to do the same for TitanTV...

DishSatUser said:
Carefull now. I personally know of several Armenians. It's hard to remember since history isn't taught so often, but many Armenians fled to America during their version of a Holocaust during World War I.

Here's a Cambridge book for those that want to learn more: http://books.cambridge.org/0521829585.htm

Here's a historical website about the attempted Genocide:
http://www.armenian-genocide.org/

Sorry for the offtrack links, but the comments prior in the thread showed a lack of compassion.

I wasnt being heartless. I just dont understand why dish adds so many international channels for very small groups while the groups that are growing (HD for one) dont really get anything. I didnt mean that there arnt any armenians in the country. I read about that genocide :eek: but I just wish dish would make better use of its space and plan for the future not the present. ok rant off.

ShadowEKU said:
. I just dont understand why dish adds so many international channels for very small groups while the groups that are growing (HD for one) dont really get anything. .

Why? Because they can make a lot more money with international channels then with other content.
They might have a small subscriber base, but the channels cost more and then once you have the subcriber you can sell up their service and make even more money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts