Dish and a PC-TV Tuner Card,possible?

david in texas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Hello,

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new PC instead of just upgrading my old one again. As such the new one includes a TV Tuner Card with DVR software.

My current setup is a 622 upstairs on my bigscreen with the 2nd feed coming down to the TV in my office (same room as my Computer). Is it possible split the line in my office to send a signal to my PC? If so, I'm I able to change channels from the PC as well as setup programming etc?

Thanks
David

You could run the "Home Distribution" output to your PC, and then either run the 622 in dual mode or single shared mode. You'd have to use the E* RF remote.

You could run the "Home Distribution" output to your PC, and then either run the 622 in dual mode or single shared mode. You'd have to use the E* RF remote.

We are running the 622 in dual mode and having the modulated RF output fed to our Hauppauge TV card in an HP PC. It works well. :up

And then you are using your 6.3 IR/UHF PRO remote to change channels for the 622 TV2 Output, correct?

Has anyone used the MS MCE IR Blaster to control a ViP622 or other Dish receiver when in the same room?

My 3 year old laptop has MCE on it. Although it will go on the internet and download the guide data for Dish Network, the system will not let me set it up properly, i.e., I either have to use Channel 2, 3, or 4, or Video/Aduio-in, or tell it TV and then select the correct channels for the stereo agile modulator.

i wish there was a DISH pci card that you could install on your pc and have it act like a dvr tuner. currently, I have a VIP622 and a 2003 Media Center HP computer. TV 1 goes to the family room HDTV. TV 2 goes to the splitter and throughout the house including my HP MCE. I can watch TV on my HP and I can MANUALLY record shows. however, I cannot use the full functionality of the media center because i can't schedule programs to record and I can't then burn them to DVD. I guess one thing I could do is get a second tuner and set it up near my PC and set it up through Media center, but it would be much more cooler If I could use a pci card instead of having a black plastic box receiver hooked up.

Please allow me to revisit this thread as I'm having some trouble getting my PC to pick up the signal.

Here is my setup.

I have a 622. The box is upstairs. Downstairs I have the other feed on my office TV. I have a new PC with Vista Home Premium which has Media Center built in.

I have taken the coax that was plugged into the TV and plugged it directly into the PC Ant IN.

I then run the TV setup on Media Center. It goes through the motions of looking for some kind of signal and it never finds one.

I'm I missing something here? Something obvious?

I've tried in both Single and Dual mode FWIW. It's not the cable because if I plug it back into the TV it works fine.

Thanks
David

I recently purchased the same PC as well and I had no luck picking up a signal off of my TV 2 output. The other TV's in the house using the TV 2 output receive the signal from TV channel 60. I can't get the PC to change to channel 60. It only offers channels 2,3, and 4. So I ran a line in from my antenna and it picks up all of my OTA digital stations.

If the tuner cards in your PCs are digital-only, than they won't pick up the analog signal that the 622 is putting out.

I recently purchased the same PC as well and I had no luck picking up a signal off of my TV 2 output. The other TV's in the house using the TV 2 output receive the signal from TV channel 60. I can't get the PC to change to channel 60. It only offers channels 2,3, and 4. So I ran a line in from my antenna and it picks up all of my OTA digital stations.

10-4 thanks. I guess I'll try the same.

Regards,
David

If the tuner cards in your PCs are digital-only, than they won't pick up the analog signal that the 622 is putting out.

These are the specs of my card from HP:

ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote

FEATURES: ATSC and NTSC TV tuner with Personal Video Recorder (PVR) and FM Tuner. BENEFITS: Two high-performance TV tuners and a personal video recorder (PVR) let you watch, pause, and replay from cable, digital cable, digital satellite, or over-the-air TV. Record your favorite TV shows with your PC and Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium. Record up to two TV programs simultaneously while playing a third recorded program.

Does any of that indicate if the tuner card is digital or analog?

Thanks
David

These are the specs of my card from HP:

ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote

FEATURES: ATSC and NTSC TV tuner with Personal Video Recorder (PVR) and FM Tuner. BENEFITS: Two high-performance TV tuners and a personal video recorder (PVR) let you watch, pause, and replay from cable, digital cable, digital satellite, or over-the-air TV. Record your favorite TV shows with your PC and Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium. Record up to two TV programs simultaneously while playing a third recorded program.

Does any of that indicate if the tuner card is digital or analog?

Thanks
David

ATSC is digital and NTSC is analog

get a modulator and take the TV 2 RCA outputs to the modulator which will convert to channel 3 or 4 and than send to your distribution, your PC will pick it up than, should be around $15-40 depending on where you pick one up

Is the TV in your office set to OTA or cable channels.

You may be sending TV1 and TV2 to the tuner on cable channels and the card in the PC is looking for OTA (UHF) channels.

get a modulator and take the TV 2 RCA outputs to the modulator which will convert to channel 3 or 4 and than send to your distribution, your PC will pick it up than, should be around $15-40 depending on where you pick one up

look for a modulator that also will transfer the ir signals. I think I have seen them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts