Dish And ATT sign Deal !

I'm thinking all those were formally with T-Mobile?

Statement from DISH
"Teaming with AT&T on this long-term partnership will allow us to better compete in the retail wireless market and quickly respond to changes in our customers' evolving connectivity needs as we build our own first-of-its kind 5G network," said John Swieringa, Dish chief operating officer and group president of Retail Wireless. "The agreement provides enhanced coverage and service for our Boost, Ting and Republic customers, giving them access to the best connectivity on the market today via voice, messaging, data and nationwide roaming on AT&T's vast network, as well as Dish's 5G network."

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sounds like dish has more phone customers than satellite

Dish has 8.89 million retail wireless subscribers as of its last quarterly earnings report, while AT&T has more than 186 million mobile subscribers.
In this article

T-Mobile is ending CDMA service on 1/1/22 so my Boost (Dish) phone using the T-Mobile network will be useless and Boost doesn't plan to provide a replacement phone or even share the cost of a new one. Maybe this linkup with AT&T will help Boost customers somehow. Fingers crossed.

Ting customer here with X3 sim (T-mo) hopefully they won't require us to switch to ATT---T-mo coverage is solid here in my area, not sure that ATT would be an improvement.

T-Mobile is ending CDMA service on 1/1/22 so my Boost (Dish) phone using the T-Mobile network will be useless and Boost doesn't plan to provide a replacement phone or even share the cost of a new one. Maybe this linkup with AT&T will help Boost customers somehow. Fingers crossed.
ATT never had cdma..phones will still be useless

Brush up on your reading comprehension, Juan.
One more time..
Customers will still need new phones...CDMA phones are incompatible with att...regular phones are dirt cheap..when they actually switch over most phones will probably have to be replaced with att network compatible phones...probably ...knowing charlie..provided by att

According to conversations with Boost reps the phones will be replaced by the customer or switch to another carrier.
They are replacing the network...i would just relax...the fcc would get very upset if every customer had to buy a new phone because of a network switch....just sayin

Back in 2009(technically December 2008) ATT acquired the Unicell network in Vermont,upstate New York and I believe part of the state of Washington.(There was a rumour that Bernie's nephew wanted an iphone and back then ATT was the only carrier with Iphones and the rest is history-Verizon never had a chance-but I digress).
I managed an electronics store that was selling Unicel.When ATT acquired Unicel all the customers were contacted and told they needed to buy a new phone and switch their plan over to an ATT plan and sign a new two year contract.There were a few customers that pointed out they weren't happy and they really didn't see the need as their phones were GSM and would work fine with maybe just a new sim card.All very true but you can't fight progress right?So maybe we had one customer walk-we were so busy selling phones to lines of customers we really didn't care.
A long time later someone(probably FCC) agreed that indeed Unicell customers could keep their old plan and old phones and maybe ATT should give them a free sim card.Way too late for most.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Just to be clear, T-Mobile is GSM. What is being shut down is Sprint's 3G . Verizon is shutting down their 3G on December 31st. AT&T has announced 3G is going away in February 2022. Consumer Cellular already replaced the wife's 3G phone for free in anticipation of the change.

Reactions: navychop
Just to be clear, not all phones are affected by the CDMA shutdowns. VoLTE enabled phones will continue to function normally. My LG Stylo 3 for instance, was released in 2017 and will work fine after Verizon shuts CDMA down. I am currently researching a new phone, but not because of any voice capability changes.

Not to hijack the conversation but, I have a 2015 Audi that originally had an AT&T SIM and access to their 3G network. I replaced that AT&T SIM with a pay as you go TruPhone SIM, much cheaper than AT&T and and things worked great. (real time Google maps data, search, weather, etc.). The car is not 4G LTE capable to my knowledge. I assume that with all of these 3G networks shutting down I’ll be SOL with respect to data service. I’ll have to ping Audi to see what they say.

EDIT:
So, I got my answer buried deeply on Audi’s website.

All Audi connect services will no longer be available following AT&T’s 3G turndown on 2/22/22.

Impacted services include:
Google Voice Search, Weather, Fuel Prices, Travel information, Flight information, Parking information, Point-of-interest search, and Wi-Fi hotspot.

Just to be clear, not all phones are affected by the CDMA shutdowns. VoLTE enabled phones will continue to function normally. My LG Stylo 3 for instance, was released in 2017 and will work fine after Verizon shuts CDMA down. I am currently researching a new phone, but not because of any voice capability changes.
Assuming they work on att frequencies..you have to look at the model of the phone...