Dish and UPN

Furious said:
We get Upn in Lubbock Texas, however we dont get the WB. My wife loves the WB so we had to get the superstations package which also has 3 upns so now I have 4 upns that show the same thing within an hour of each other :rolleyes:
You could drop the Supers package and just buy an individual WB channel. After the $5 downgrade fee, it'll only take you a couple of months to come out ahead. Unless you have the grandfathered locals/supers package, in which case it'll take you three months to about break even. :)

My locals package in Charleston, WV includes WB-30 WHCP which advertises it as being WB but also shows SmackDown and is also a UPN (from what people tell me on here). Its the best of both worlds.

Stargazer said:
My locals package in Charleston, WV includes WB-30 WHCP which advertises it as being WB but also shows SmackDown and is also a UPN (from what people tell me on here). Its the best of both worlds.

That's one of those silly double-affiliated stations. It appears they air WB primetime programming from 8-10 and then air UPN primetime programming two hours delayed from 10-midnight.

There is actually at least one triple-affiliated station somewhere that is FOX/WB/UPN. Can't remember what market.

chaddux said:
Here is the story according to DISH and the UPN operators (Fox 51). First of all, what I was told is that KLPN is no longer even broadcasting. It was the LP station in Longview while the new full power KCEB was being built. When KCEB came online, KLPN was shut off a couple of months later. From what I can tell, neither Longview cable company is carrying the KLPN signal. (A search for KLPN on the FCC no longer shows an active registration.) They couldn't tell me what signal DirecTV was actually using.

According to a DISH executive officer, who told me that she had the "correct" department research why it wasn't on, the station has never asked to be carried and the 75-day period in which a full-power station must request carriage has passed. She noted that they had "no plans to carry the station." According to Fox 51, they will try to "speed up getting our signal to DISH."

thanks for the clarification :) (I was just taking my info from tvradioworld.com)

Iceberg said:
Minneapolis WFTC 29

interesting note...WFTC stands for "We're Fox Twin Cities", yet they are UPN :) (Fox and UPN changed stations on 9/8/02)

The name still applies. FOX (Newscorp, actually) owns and operates both stations. Many large markets contain a FOX/UPN Newscorp-owned duopoly.

chaddux said:
Here is the story according to DISH and the UPN operators (Fox 51). First of all, what I was told is that KLPN is no longer even broadcasting. It was the LP station in Longview while the new full power KCEB was being built. When KCEB came online, KLPN was shut off a couple of months later. From what I can tell, neither Longview cable company is carrying the KLPN signal. (A search for KLPN on the FCC no longer shows an active registration.) They couldn't tell me what signal DirecTV was actually using.

According to a DISH executive officer, who told me that she had the "correct" department research why it wasn't on, the station has never asked to be carried and the 75-day period in which a full-power station must request carriage has passed. She noted that they had "no plans to carry the station." According to Fox 51, they will try to "speed up getting our signal to DISH."

DirecTV has updated its information and is now calling the station KTPN. They've also added a WB affiliate to the Tyler/Longview DMA but it is most definitely not the local WB affiliate.

TNGTony said:
Marquette is not a local market available on Dish. That's why I didn't include it. I only listed the stations in areas where Dish offers locals.

See ya
Tony

D'OH!!

Forgot about that :)

TyroneShoes said:
The name still applies. FOX (Newscorp, actually) owns and operates both stations. Many large markets contain a FOX/UPN Newscorp-owned duopoly.

Understandable...living in Minneapolis I rememebr the whole "make the switch" hoobub when these 2 stations (KMSP & WFTC) were changing...commercials all the time, heck they had a 1/2 hour program about the changes (if you were really dense).

When they were changing affiliations, people thought both stations (WFTC 29 and KMSP 9) were going to change call letters...but since KMSP has been around on 9 since the 70's...they didnt change it

So....Were Fox Twin Cities is on the wrong station :D

Canadian needing broker for dishnet

510 dolby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)