Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH's military and first responders offer provides unique features, discounts for heroes and their families
- "Stars and Stripes" programming package, monthly On Demand movie and DVR upgrade, all at no additional cost
- Valued at more than $500 over two years
- Available today to qualifying new and existing customers

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 23, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH today launched a new special customer offer tailored to active duty military, veterans and first responders, bringing cost-savings and technology enhancements to their television experience. The new offer gives qualifying new and existing customers complimentary custom programming, a monthly family movie night courtesy of DISH and the ability to watch TV anywhere.

"DISH understands that life can be complex for military and first responders, and sometimes they just want to unwind," said Jay Roth, chief marketing officer at DISH. "From providing a monthly On Demand family movie night, to making sure they can stream hometown content while deployed, we designed this new offer as a way to enjoy time with loved ones and relax at the end of a long day. It's all part of our commitment to being 'Tuned In To You.'"

Offer details
With the new offer, qualifying customers will receive the below benefits at no additional cost, valued at more than $500 over two years.

• Stars and Stripes Pack: Access to a suite of custom-curated channels, including STARZ Encore Westerns, Smithsonian Channel, American Heroes Channel and more.
  • Monthly family movie night: First On Demand movie rental each month.
  • TV anywhere you go: DVR upgrade to a compatible Hopper family set-top box, allowing qualified participants to stream 100% of live and recorded TV to mobile devices with DISH Anywhere. No upfront upgrade fees required.
Earlier this month, DISH also unveiled a special offer for new customers 55 and older, including free On Demand content and a discount on worry-free protection with the DISH Gold protection package.

To learn more about DISH's military and first responders offer, including how to participate, visit www.dish.com/offers/military-offer and www.dish.com/offers/first-responder-offer. Verification is required.*

*Only one discount program can be applied to an account at a time. This includes households with both military and first responders, as well as customers who are eligible for both the military / first responder and 55+ offers.

Stars and Stripes pack is available on Flex Pack for $10. I just saw it when I was making changes to my add-ons. I assume it is free from the $5 change fee like the other Flex add-ons, or is it more like the Latino Bonus Pack that has a change fee?

At first glance what I pay as an existing customer discount is considerably less. I don't get the Starz and Stripes package or first movie rental free however. But my cost looks like $17 a month less. If the new packages can have the $5 auto pay discount then mine is $12 less.

At first glance what I pay as an existing customer discount is considerably less. I don't get the Starz and Stripes package or first movie rental free however. But my cost looks like $17 a month less. If the new packages can have the $5 auto pay discount then mine is $12 less.
Where are you seeing the cost? Or are you just adding 10 bucks to your bill?
And how are they verifying Military experience?

Where are you seeing the cost? Or are you just adding 10 bucks to your bill?
And how are they verifying Military experience?

The cost is right in the link, maybe under more info ....... Top 200 is $79 frozen for two years. I pay $67 plus $5 more off for auto with still a year and 1/2 to go.

The cost is right in the link, maybe under more info ....... Top 200 is $79 frozen for two years. I pay $67 plus $5 more off for auto with still a year and 1/2 to go.
Here's mine

Monthly Services
$89.99

America's Top 250 (reg $92.99)
$77.99

Local Channels
$12.00

Equipment
$17.00

Hopper DVR Service
$15.00

DVR Savings $5x24 Mo
- $5.00

Wireless Joey Receiver
$7.00

Add-Ons
$20.00

Dish Movie Pack
$10.00

Showtime
$10.00

Monthly Total
$127.03

That’s because AT&T offers like a 20% discount to military and first responders.

Military and first responders generally pay their bills on time, along with people 55 or older.

I bet Dish was loosing lots of these customers to Directv and AT$T

'New and qualifying former customers only. All offers require credit qualification, 2-year commitment with early termination fee and eAutoPay.'

I have top250, $104.99 programming.

This would be top250 (290+), $89.90 programming.
The only 'additional' I would get would be the 1st free rental each month.

Do I want to be locked into contract in an era with satelite on the wane and streaming progressively taking over?

Will it include HBO,
Uh...no.
What other media moving to stream only?
UFC to ESPN+.
More to follow...

2 year contract not in my best intetest.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:
That’s because AT&T offers like a 20% discount to military and first responders.

Military and first responders generally pay their bills on time, along with people 55 or older.

I bet Dish was loosing lots of these customers to Directv and AT$T
I'm thinking that if it's gotten to where about 9 out 10 new connects I do are replacing DTV and that the 3 people that work here now that came from DTV all claim that replacing Dish was less than 25% of their jobs, than Dish isn't losing - not loosing - too many customers to DTV.

'New and qualifying former customers only. All offers require credit qualification, 2-year commitment with early termination fee and eAutoPay.'

I have top250, $104.99 programming.

This would be top250 (290+), $89.90 programming.
The only 'additional' I would get would be the 1st free rental each month.

Do I want to be locked into contract in an era with satelite on the wane and streaming progressively taking over?

Will it include HBO,
Uh...no.
What other media moving to stream only?
UFC to ESPN+.
More to follow...

2 year contract not in my best intetest.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Not much of that makes sense to me but obviously as you say it may not be in your best interest and that's your decision.
DISH satellite isn't going anywhere for the term of the contract and beyond. I am saving $15 every month and in January for that year will be saving $20 every month.
In addition I'm not following your comparison of $104.99 because Top 250 does not cost that, nor of the $89.99 because that isn't the cost in that special package.

What does HBO have to do with it? It isn't in the Top 250 the package you have. Overall if you are not going stay with DISH of course don't get a two year contract.

I'm thinking that if it's gotten to where about 9 out 10 new connects I do are replacing DTV and that the 3 people that work here now that came from DTV all claim that replacing Dish was less than 25% of their jobs, than Dish isn't losing - not loosing - too many customers to DTV.

It’s all flip flops from one provider to the other these days.

We just continue to recycle the same customers between Dish and Directv, until we either loose them to streaming only or the cable company wins them back for good with a bundle.

Used to be able to sell satellite based on more HD channels, DVR, Better price and technology.

Today, people go with who can provide them internet services.

Cable has all the advantages today.

Cable is still lagging on technology but that can be fixed with TIVO. Nobody is flocking to Dish because of the Hopper either.

In 5 years doing cable with spectrum and Comcast I have replaced many Hoppers with a cable DVR. People on this forum may think that’s crazy, but people would rather have fast reliable internet at a decent price than the ability to record 13 shows at once.

I still have Dish and will be for sometime. I just I am what they call is a "cord shaver", as I like both Dish and streaming. The Dish Anywhere app on the Fire TV is great, having the free demand. Dish rocks. Streaming alone is fine for some and there are a lot of goodies for free, but Dish is stable with my 211k, OTA tuner, HDD, DVR function. Streaming has a long way to go. A great add on? Love it, But I would not want to be without Dish.

We just continue to recycle the same customers between Dish and Directv, until we either loose them to streaming only or the cable company wins them back for good with a bundle.

Used to be able to sell satellite based on more HD channels, DVR, Better price and technology.

Cable is still lagging on technology but that can be fixed with TIVO. Nobody is flocking to Dish because of the Hopper either.

In 5 years doing cable with spectrum and Comcast I have replaced many Hoppers with a cable DVR. People on this forum may think that’s crazy, but people would rather have fast reliable internet at a decent price than the ability to record 13 shows at once.
Cable's only advantage is that it includes high speed internet, but even that is being swallowed, slowly, by the expansion of Fiber - which admittedly, that expansion has been stupid-slow. But nobody is replacing Hoppers with Cable DVR's because of the technology of the Receiver. Those customers are probably more forgiving of the well documented price increases because of the convenience.

Better technology, lower pricing and replacing cable internet with fiber, where it's available is an arrow in cable's side. Not to mention, years-old, buried cable runs that fail. I hear people in older neighborhoods have signal loss issues, frequently with Cable.

But it's the future that is more important. And what I see, unless I'm misinformed, doesn't bode well for DTV.

Let's see, what has DTV done,: Nothing. No partnerships, no alliances. AT&T Stock is tanking. Alienating customers with slow and no internet by moving to streaming only, over the DirecTV Now platform.

What has Dish done?

Sales - laugh and complain all you want, but that's part of the job and it's a money maker and it's growing. From screen cleaners and surge protectors 6 years ago, through the Polk Audio sound bars (Which will expand to Klipsh and Sonos, soon) and now pushing more towards full home connectivity with Ring, Nest and full integration with Google Assistant and Alexa. Not to mention the In House techs that are doing Samsung, Bosch, Asurion, Assurant, American Home Sheild, Lowes etc., and then there's that 5G thing, which you can try and predict won't happen "in-time" but it's happening. In our office, we've started doing NB IoT full installs and still setting up MVDDS Test sites, plus the towers going up throughout the country to broadcast service.

DTV drops Satellite delivery to homes and people are alienated and left out. Dish does the same and customers get a better, faster and more streamlined service piggy backing on high speed internet. Win/Win for Dish and rural customers

Last edited:

I have had Dish service for over 20 years. I had DSL service for internet when I started Dish. When I figured out that DSL wasn't going to work for me because it was/is stuck at 1.5 down (yes even today) I went to Comcast internet. I never had a thought about going Comcast TV with internet because their hardware couldn't compete with what Dish offered at any time including today. Oh, I can shave a few dollars off of what the internet costs me by adding TV but it simply isn't even close to what I get right now by having split services.

I've had Dish, DirectV and cable at various times over many years, currently on Mediacom cable with Tivo. Actually never thought I would consider cable again after some bad experiences with them. But the subdivision I'm in has either Mediacom or Wisper (wifi) for internet and Wisper maxes out at 20Gb with somewhat spotty service.
When I moved in I got cable for internet and moved my Dish service over. No complaints with either service after they finally figured out where my house was and did the installs. A few days after I moved in Mediacom came around and told me they could save me significant money by going all in with them. I let them make the pitch and they could and did save me about $80/month. I still think the Hopper 3/Joey is a better combination overall than Tivo, but not enough better considering the savings.

So those of us with the 250 (290) package are already getting all the channels in the Stars and Stripes package?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: oldford
I called the Loyalty Dept., told them I was a Vet. and they added the Stars and Stripes pack (to my Flex pack) and one free On Demand movie per month. They didn't ask for verification but I was being honest. The person I spoke with said that it should stay on my account forever at no cost even if I suspend and then re-start service, which I never do.

Cable's only advantage is that it includes high speed internet, but even that is being swallowed, slowly, by the expansion of Fiber - which admittedly, that expansion has been stupid-slow. But nobody is replacing Hoppers with Cable DVR's because of the technology of the Receiver. Those customers are probably more forgiving of the well documented price increases because of the convenience.

Better technology, lower pricing and replacing cable internet with fiber, where it's available is an arrow in cable's side. Not to mention, years-old, buried cable runs that fail. I hear people in older neighborhoods have signal loss issues, frequently with Cable.

But it's the future that is more important. And what I see, unless I'm misinformed, doesn't bode well for DTV.

Let's see, what has DTV done,: Nothing. No partnerships, no alliances. AT&T Stock is tanking. Alienating customers with slow and no internet by moving to streaming only, over the DirecTV Now platform.

What has Dish done?

Sales - laugh and complain all you want, but that's part of the job and it's a money maker and it's growing. From screen cleaners and surge protectors 6 years ago, through the Polk Audio sound bars (Which will expand to Klipsh and Sonos, soon) and now pushing more towards full home connectivity with Ring, Nest and full integration with Google Assistant and Alexa. Not to mention the In House techs that are doing Samsung, Bosch, Asurion, Assurant, American Home Sheild, Lowes etc., and then there's that 5G thing, which you can try and predict won't happen "in-time" but it's happening. In our office, we've started doing NB IoT full installs and still setting up MVDDS Test sites, plus the towers going up throughout the country to broadcast service.

DTV drops Satellite delivery to homes and people are alienated and left out. Dish does the same and customers get a better, faster and more streamlined service piggy backing on high speed internet. Win/Win for Dish and rural customers

First of all the average customer does not care about the “Hopper” a DVR is a DVR for most people. Maybe the “Hopper” makes a difference to the people on this forum, but trust me nobody cares about the “Hopper”

As far as “Fiber” yeah it’s awesome. But again nobody cares. Everyone gets the 25, 60 and 150 meg packages from the cable. Very few people will spend the extra money for the higher speed packages. Again people on this forum want the best available, but the average customer it’s all about price.

Besides that, there is so much hate for AT&T, people refuse to even try out their Fiber service because of the horrible experiences in the past.

And I do agree Directv has done and continue to do nothing.

As far as everything Dish is doing today. It’s a specialty market. Granted everyone wants the google home automation, nest products and someone to hold their hand and setup and configure everything.

The problem is it ain’t FREE

By the time you install the ring door bells, Alexia, google home minis, mesh WiFi, your talking several hundred dollars.

Honestly having a Dish technician doing this stuff is only slightly better than getting ripped off by the geek squad.

The minute you charge anything more then $100, the customer is generally no longer interested.

I got Fiber internet at my house, a $500 Netgear R9000 router. Works great, but only once or twice in the past year have I seen a customer spend $500 on a router. And I do several hundred Comcast internet only sales per month.

There is a market for this stuff, but Dish tends to market themselves towards the lower end customers who are looking for lower cost packages with less channels.

Don’t even get me started on the screen cleaner that the techs are being forced to sell. I think more customers buy it because they feel bad for the tech having to peddle that garbage then they actually need it.

I see what they are trying to become, but it ain’t happening.

Seeing Dish techs trying to peddle their home services is just as bad as AT&T trying to sell you an AT&T wireless plan while the tech is there installing your dish.

Satellite techs need to be installing satellites.

Instead of selling all these “internet” related products and services that require internet, How about Dish become a real internet service provider first

First of all the average customer does not care about the “Hopper” a DVR is a DVR for most people. Maybe the “Hopper” makes a difference to the people on this forum, but trust me nobody cares about the “Hopper”

As far as “Fiber” yeah it’s awesome. But again nobody cares. Everyone gets the 25, 60 and 150 meg packages from the cable. Very few people will spend the extra money for the higher speed packages. Again people on this forum want the best available, but the average customer it’s all about price.

Besides that, there is so much hate for AT&T, people refuse to even try out their Fiber service because of the horrible experiences in the past.

And I do agree Directv has done and continue to do nothing.

As far as everything Dish is doing today. It’s a specialty market. Granted everyone wants the google home automation, nest products and someone to hold their hand and setup and configure everything.

The problem is it ain’t FREE

By the time you install the ring door bells, Alexia, google home minis, mesh WiFi, your talking several hundred dollars.

Honestly having a Dish technician doing this stuff is only slightly better than getting ripped off by the geek squad.

The minute you charge anything more then $100, the customer is generally no longer interested.

I got Fiber internet at my house, a $500 Netgear R9000 router. Works great, but only once or twice in the past year have I seen a customer spend $500 on a router. And I do several hundred Comcast internet only sales per month.

There is a market for this stuff, but Dish tends to market themselves towards the lower end customers who are looking for lower cost packages with less channels.

Don’t even get me started on the screen cleaner that the techs are being forced to sell. I think more customers buy it because they feel bad for the tech having to peddle that garbage then they actually need it.

I see what they are trying to become, but it ain’t happening.

Seeing Dish techs trying to peddle their home services is just as bad as AT&T trying to sell you an AT&T wireless plan while the tech is there installing your dish.

Satellite techs need to be installing satellites.

Instead of selling all these “internet” related products and services that require internet, How about Dish become a real internet service provider first
You missed the whole point but let me dispel a few things. For one, AT&T Fiber is not available in many places, so it's not refusal, it's availability. Second, I pay the same for 1Gb/s Fiber as I did for 100 Mb/s Comcast Cable internet and get 95% of that speed steadily, where as with Comcast ,I got about 55% of the speed I Was paying for so no, Fiber is not more expensive than cable

Alexa and Google Home minis were temporary promotions and were given away, not sold, to new customers. But the Nest things are about the same price as anyone buying it on their own but we install it and warranty it for 2 years. Geek Squad charges $150 just to knock on your door. Yes, the Mesh WiFi is a niche item, but a lot are selling and at the same price that Best Buy sells them (Again we install and warranty for that price). And why?? Because Internet is becoming more and more vital and people demand higher speeds and depend on those speeds and being connected reliably.

Also, most of my jobs are in upper middle class neighborhoods when I'm in town, or farms and places that don't have cable - which is what Satellite was originally marketed to, not lower class, lower end customers. Truth is, I'm rarely in "the hood". That's because people who have money look for the better deals and take advantage of them. And yes, the Hopper is a selling point. I often am asked at the door to verify the recording capabilities. Seems like most people in lower end neighborhoods take advantage of cable so they can get the internet, too, and normally switch to Satellite when they get disconnected.

Seriously, Claude, you've been out of the Dish family for how many years?? You should just stop trying to bash something you really know little about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts