Dish Anywhere and iPad AV adapter

sabre170

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Dallas, TX
My apologies if this topic is already in this forum....I'm sure it is. I did some searching, however, and didn't find anything, so here it goes!

I like to watch my DVR/TV via the Dish Anywhere app on my ipad. When I watch movies on my ipad, I use my av adapter cable so that the iPad pipes the video on to a TV.

Well, when I am away from my house, I'd like to be able to do the same; use the av adapter to pipe the Dish Anywhere video onto a TV. When I try this, the audio comes out of the TV speakers, but no video. The video stays on the iPad.

Is there a work around to get this to work???

Only if you jailbreak. But no one to my knowledge has tried the component adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hopefully they add airplay support soon.

Airplay support was added yesterday to the Slingplayer Apps, so hopefully we see it for the DishAnywhere apps as well.

Scott, I have been doing this with Airplay and my iPad for months. I just tested to make sure they didn't recently block it and it still works fine. I don't know about an actual sling player but the Dish Sling adapter and iPad app definitely work via Airplay. I watched the entire season of Hard Knocks from my parents hopper this way because it wasn't available on HBO Go. The Dish Anywhere iPad app works great with streaming so I don't know why it wouldn't work with the video cables.

My parents subscribe to AT250. I have recently downgraded at my house to 120+. When I want to watch one of the few programs I like that I don't get at my house I use the Dish Anywhere App on my iPad and Airplay to watch on my TV. The only downside is the delay when trying to skip commercials. I usually find that it's easier to just let them play then try to skip forward and back until I get it right.

The Dish Anywhere iPad app works great with streaming so I don't know why it wouldn't work with the video cables.

My thoughts exactly.....seems like it isn't a limitation of the iPad, rather a limitation on the Dish Anywhere app code to not let the video cables work. I don't have an appleTV, so airplay isn't an option for me.

I forgot a word in that sentence. I meant to say "The Dish Anywhere iPad app works great with streaming on Airplay so I don't know why it wouldn't work with the video cable." Some apps like the Hopper Transfer app do block Airplay and video adapter use but I was under the impression that if it worked on Airplay the cables would work too. It looks like some apps might be allowing Airplay but blocking cables for some reason.

Don't know if this will help but I use the HDMI adapter on my ipad 4 to watch TV. Some apps just won't allow the video to pass through the adapter. I was watching the ALDS then the ALCS through the TBS app. About half way through the ALCS there must have been an update to thenTBS app because it stopped working with the adapter.

Sent via Tapatalk

I have an update for everyone on this topic. I've had a little success thanks to previous posts.

For reference I am using an iPad 2 operating on iOS 6.## I have no clue if iOS 7 and/or newer iPads would make a difference, but from my research, I think not. I am using the most up to date Dish Apps.

When using my iPad to Composite cable, I am not able to play ANY of my dish content on to my TV (as previously discussed in the original post). This cable is great for non-HD TV's when wanting to pipe a movie or any other app (Netflix or Vudu for instance) on to the TV. This cable does NOT do iPad mirroring.

I picked up an iPad Digital AV Cable. With this cable, my iPad supports "mirroring" on to a HDTV. With this feature, I AM able to utilize the Dish Anywhere app to watch DVR or Live TV content via the mirroring feature. However, the Dish Hopper Transfer App doesn't work. When I try to play a show when my iPad is mirrored with a TV, the app comes up with a message to the effect of "this app does not support mirrored play feature". It was an app pop-up window, and NOT an ipad one, thus it is clear that this was a conscious block up in place by Dish. For me, however, this wasn't a big deal.

The larger "problem" however, is when watching Live or DVR TV via the Dish Anywhere app via a Mirrored setup with the Digital AV Cable. Because an HD TV is wide screen (for simplicity we will say 16:9), and an iPad is closer to standard screen (again for simplicity we will say 4:3), the iPad mirrored screen displays as 4:3 on my 16:9 TV. In other words, big black bars on the left and right. Then when I watch a TV show via the mirrored setup, because the show was recorded in say 16:9, on my iPad, it tries to play the 16:9 show on a 4:3, thus putting black bars at the top and bottom. When you then add in the mirrored setup I now have black bars on left/right AND top/bottom. This in essence turns my 52" HDTV in to a say 42" HDTV. This kinda sucks, and I personally fine the black box around the show a bit distracting. Thankfully the TV I'm doing this on has a "zoom" feature. This is pretty successful in getting rid of most of the black bars around the video, however, it is at a cost of resolution/quality. The video quality does drop when zoomed. I imagine this is the exact same result I would get if I were to use an apple TV and use airplay (but I don't have one to test).

So, to sum up my findings thus far: when using a Digital AV cable with an iPad (note, i think it needs to be an ipad 2 or newer), you ARE able to watch tv/dvr via the Dish Anywhere app. Viewing quality and resolution is effected. Watching the iPad Hopper transfer app, however is not supported with this cable.

I tried those component cables as well and it didn't work for either Dish Anywhere or the Sling Player app. I called Sling and they told me it was blocked. I could open up both apps and see the content but once I tried to play a DVR event or stream live TV I would get a black screen with audio.

I have an update for everyone on this topic. I've had a little success thanks to previous posts.

For reference I am using an iPad 2 operating on iOS 6.## I have no clue if iOS 7 and/or newer iPads would make a difference, but from my research, I think not. I am using the most up to date Dish Apps.

When using my iPad to Composite cable, I am not able to play ANY of my dish content on to my TV (as previously discussed in the original post). This cable is great for non-HD TV's when wanting to pipe a movie or any other app (Netflix or Vudu for instance) on to the TV. This cable does NOT do iPad mirroring.

I picked up an iPad Digital AV Cable. With this cable, my iPad supports "mirroring" on to a HDTV. With this feature, I AM able to utilize the Dish Anywhere app to watch DVR or Live TV content via the mirroring feature. However, the Dish Hopper Transfer App doesn't work. When I try to play a show when my iPad is mirrored with a TV, the app comes up with a message to the effect of "this app does not support mirrored play feature". It was an app pop-up window, and NOT an ipad one, thus it is clear that this was a conscious block up in place by Dish. For me, however, this wasn't a big deal.

The larger "problem" however, is when watching Live or DVR TV via the Dish Anywhere app via a Mirrored setup with the Digital AV Cable. Because an HD TV is wide screen (for simplicity we will say 16:9), and an iPad is closer to standard screen (again for simplicity we will say 4:3), the iPad mirrored screen displays as 4:3 on my 16:9 TV. In other words, big black bars on the left and right. Then when I watch a TV show via the mirrored setup, because the show was recorded in say 16:9, on my iPad, it tries to play the 16:9 show on a 4:3, thus putting black bars at the top and bottom. When you then add in the mirrored setup I now have black bars on left/right AND top/bottom. This in essence turns my 52" HDTV in to a say 42" HDTV. This kinda sucks, and I personally fine the black box around the show a bit distracting. Thankfully the TV I'm doing this on has a "zoom" feature. This is pretty successful in getting rid of most of the black bars around the video, however, it is at a cost of resolution/quality. The video quality does drop when zoomed. I imagine this is the exact same result I would get if I were to use an apple TV and use airplay (but I don't have one to test).

So, to sum up my findings thus far: when using a Digital AV cable with an iPad (note, i think it needs to be an ipad 2 or newer), you ARE able to watch tv/dvr via the Dish Anywhere app. Viewing quality and resolution is effected. Watching the iPad Hopper transfer app, however is not supported with this cable.

That doesn't happen when you use Airplay from the iPad to the Apple TV. I can confirm that my dishanywhere programming fills the full screen when I mirror it to my TV. I realize that doesn't help you if you are using the cables but if this is something you are going to do all the time a $99 Apple TV might be worth it. There are a lot of nice features in addition to iPad mirroring too.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I got a lightning to HDMI adapter for Christmas for my iPad 4 and probably will return it if Dish Anywhere still does not pass through. Any updates to app that has made it workable?

I can confirm that it works! I just bought an apple digital av adapter (lightning to hdmi) connected my ipad 4 (running ios8), to my avr and was able to play back a show that was on my dvr, and live tv as well. No video on the ipad, just on the tv. No dolby digital sound either, just 2 channel stereo. Stuff on itunes comes through 5.1. I wasn't using airplay (no apple tv). My ipad was physically connected via the adapter and hdmi

I can confirm that it works! I just bought an apple digital av adapter (lightning to hdmi) connected my ipad 4 (running ios8), to my avr and was able to play back a show that was on my dvr, and live tv as well. No video on the ipad, just on the tv. No dolby digital sound either, just 2 channel stereo. Stuff on itunes comes through 5.1. I wasn't using airplay (no apple tv). My ipad was physically connected via the adapter and hdmi
How was PQ and screen resolution?

Pq was hd'ish. Not as clean as the ipad or stuff from itunes (which i think is 1080p). But it wasnt sd either. It was full screen as well, no need to zoom or stretch
Thanks, good to know. Guess I won't be making a trip to BB after all!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)