Dish Anywhere app on Android TV stick

JBrian420

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Dark side of the moon
Does anyone know if this works or if there is any convenient method of getting dish on a t.v without paying for it or doing a screen cast?

I'm fixing to get the Hopper installed and dont want to pay for a joey on a TV that I will hardly ever use.

If you have a I-pad or Mini I-pad and the hdmi adapter that you can buy for putting your I -pad screen on your tv, you can download the dishanywhere app for your I-pad and you can use like a joey. I can do that on any tv. The adapter for the mini I-pad I bought on Amazon.com for like $35.00. It allows you to charge your I-pad at the same time as play your shows on the tv. I gave one to my mom for her I-pad and she can use her bedroom hd tv to watch shows from her 722k in HD. Beats the $7.00 joey fee.

I have an Android stick as well as an Android tv box, the (2gb) Android box streams Dish Anywhere (& everything else) beautifully, the Android Stick (1gb) works OK but the wifi is a little weak. I also use mine in place of a Joey in a spare room. Many of today's newer tablets/laptops will mirror, also an option.

Have had no issues at all, works well for me since I can also stream other sources (AMZ, etc.) as well as surf the web, ck email, etc. Just need a wireless keyboard or mini keyboard to use with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBrian420
Does anyone know if this works or if there is any convenient method of getting dish on a t.v without paying for it or doing a screen cast?
There is not a convenient method.

Consider using a switch/splitter and some manner of long-distance HDMI connection as an alternative to paying $7/month but be prepared for it not to pencil out.

I decided I will just mirror the Hopper and 2nd location. I will just run HDMI to second TV and use components on primary. Did I mention I do this for a living. I actually install DirecTV. Good riddance overpriced satellite!

Reactions: TheKrell
I have an Android stick as well as an Android tv box, the (2gb) Android box streams Dish Anywhere (& everything else) beautifully, the Android Stick (1gb) works OK but the wifi is a little weak. I also use mine in place of a Joey in a spare room. Many of today's newer tablets/laptops will mirror, also an option.

Have had no issues at all, works well for me since I can also stream other sources (AMZ, etc.) as well as surf the web, ck email, etc. Just need a wireless keyboard or mini keyboard to use with it.

For some reason I missed your response. I read somewhere that dish blocked the TV android sticks from being able to access dish anywhere. I am glad to here this works. Instead of getting in the attic and doing the work I will just buy one of these for the t.v.

May I ask which one you have that works the best?

If you can find a cheap laptop running win7 or above, you can hook HdMi up to it and use the TV as a monitor. I did that at my girlfriends for awhile. Worked beautifully.

I will just run HDMI to second TV and use components on primary. Did I mention I do this for a living. I actually install DirecTV.
If you've been around DIRECTV at all, you'll understand that component can be problematic as more channels are set up for DRM flagging. With DIRECTV in particular, pretty much all HD content is being flagged and won't display on component if an HDMI connection exists.

Only had mine a few weeks so not sure about reliability. Did lots of reading first, found an Element Kodi Android box on AMZ warehouse for good price, brand new. Would recommend buying from somewhere you can return if it doesn't work for you, but it's worth a try. Minix, Matricom, Element have best specs & good reviews, prices are not cheap for the 2gb boxes.

Which 2GB box do you have? I'd like to explore this more to possibly replace a Joey that gets watched 1-2 hours a month.
Thanks!