Dish Buys Parkifi Denver-based IoT startup makes connected parking sensors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Dish Network is deepening its connection to the IoT and wireless worlds with the acquisition of Parkifi, a Denver-based startup that makes and sells patent-pending, connected single-space parking sensors that work in tandem with a cloud-based analytics platform.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Parkifi will continue to make and sell that platform around the country and retain the Parkifi brand. Tied to the deal, Parkifi co-founder, Ryan Sullivan, will lead a new team at Dish to sell, support and develop new Parkifi-branded products and services.

Dish Buys Parkifi | Multichannel

Well, this ought to quiet down all you naysayers who don't believe DISH is capable of diversifying. ;)

Dish Network is deepening its connection to the IoT and wireless worlds with the acquisition of Parkifi, a Denver-based startup that makes and sells patent-pending, connected single-space parking sensors that work in tandem with a cloud-based analytics platform.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but Parkifi will continue to make and sell that platform around the country and retain the Parkifi brand. Tied to the deal, Parkifi co-founder, Ryan Sullivan, will lead a new team at Dish to sell, support and develop new Parkifi-branded products and services.

Dish Buys Parkifi | Multichannel

What does Dish want with an app that helps people find a place to park?

I read this yesterday . It confirms to me that they won’t be using the spectrum for a DISH cell phone service . They look like they will either sell some of the bandwidth to other cell phone companies and use the rest for the “internet of things” that will make them revenue. Kind of disappointing.

I read this yesterday . It confirms to me that they won’t be using the spectrum for a DISH cell phone service . They look like they will either sell some of the bandwidth to other cell phone companies and use the rest for the “internet of things” that will make them revenue. Kind of disappointing.

The cellco marketplace is already oversaturated with carriers

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Actually, there are only 4 major carriers, everyone else is piggybacking off their networks. Being a service provider and owning a network are two different things.

To be honest, Dish should have been working on setting up a nationwide wireless internet service years ago.

They have the bandwidth, when they went on a rampage acquiring spectrum. It’s a shame they didn’t put it to good use.

The problem is that without being able to provide a “bundle” with Television, internet and cell phone they are loosing lots of customers to other providers who can.

Dish networks churn issues are only going to get worse, as more and more customers go to an internet only solution with streaming video.

It’s time for dish to diversify, because I think the writing is on the wall as their days are numbered if they don’t do something.

Atleast Directv has AT&T, nationwide on the cellular side, but limited for wireline internet in only 20 states.

Dish can use its spectrum for a lot of the upcoming internet of things. If they just lease out the spectrum. I was reading a report it would bring in 5 billion a year in revenue for just 1 percent of the market of Io T . I don’t think Charlie is shooting off the hip with this one .

To be honest, Dish should have been working on setting up a nationwide wireless internet service years ago.

They have the bandwidth, when they went on a rampage acquiring spectrum. It’s a shame they didn’t put it to good use.

The problem is that without being able to provide a “bundle” with Television, internet and cell phone they are loosing lots of customers to other providers who can.

Dish networks churn issues are only going to get worse, as more and more customers go to an internet only solution with streaming video.

It’s time for dish to diversify, because I think the writing is on the wall as their days are numbered if they don’t do something.

Atleast Directv has AT&T, nationwide on the cellular side, but limited for wireline internet in only 20 states.

I would say partnering with Amazon, Sears, Samsung, etc. is a good example of diversifying