Dish, DirecTV Team to Tackle Set-Top Proposal

When DISH was trying to buy DIRECTV back early last decade, certain receivers were built with the ability to see either companies satellites in anticipation of the potential approval of their merger. A simple software update would of made it possible for either company to enable certain receivers to see either company's sats. They even had a new satellite dish that could see all the sats from both companies . Charlie really thought he was going to get DIRECTV and remain the new CEO for the combined company. Well we see how that worked out. The government blocked it due to monopoly concerns- only one satellite company and no competition.

When DISH was trying to buy DIRECTV back early last decade, certain receivers were built with the ability to see either companies satellites in anticipation of the potential approval of their merger. A simple software update would of made it possible for either company to enable certain receivers to see either company's sats. They even had a new satellite dish that could see all the sats from both companies . Charlie really thought he was going to get DIRECTV and remain the new CEO for the combined company. Well we see how that worked out. The government blocked it due to monopoly concerns- only one satellite company and no competition.

I don't think Dish ever intended to buy Directv. The whole point of that was so Charlie could look at Directv's books and put Directv into a holding pattern for an entire year.

DISH Network went on a rampage against Directv for that entire year. There was crews going door to door telling people that Dish bought Directv and they had to switch, Directv was doing no advertising. Dish was killing it

I don't think Dish ever intended to buy Directv. The whole point of that was so Charlie could look at Directv's books and put Directv into a holding pattern for an entire year.

DISH Network went on a rampage against Directv for that entire year. There was crews going door to door telling people that Dish bought Directv and they had to switch, Directv was doing no advertising. Dish was killing it

Wow, Claude, that was some look at the books by Charlie - only cost $600M. :imshocked

EchoStar to pay Hughes $600M breakup fee after federal regulators block satellite TV merger.
http://money.cnn.com/2002/12/10/news/deals/hughes_echostar/index.htm

With the high programming fees charged anyway, we need to either limit or remove both set top box fees and additional outlet fees.
No thanks. I pay less than those with a Hopper. Joeys or even those with more outlets and boxes. Your way I will pay more to make up for others.

What should be done, instead of 3rd party vendors building set top boxes, is that ALL satellite and cable companies should allow their subscribers to BUY their set top boxes from their respective companies and then there would be NO FEES on ANY set top boxes that are then owned by their subscribers. That would fulfill what the FCC wanted( bring the prices down the consumer pays in fees for their set top boxes), without hurting the satellite and cable companies ,because the subscriber would no longer be hit with additional receiver fees -that are still growing in price , and the satellite and cable companies would get to make the set top boxes and be compensated for their receivers. You could either BUY your receivers out right to avoid any additional receiver fees or you could still lease them and pay the monthly fee if you prefered. Like you do with cars where you can either lease or buy and own your cars. I know that it would sure make me happy, if they let the subscriber buy their own boxes and I would no longer have to pay the $29.00 in monthly fees.

Fees are only part of the problem, features are the other. I left Dish 5 months ago after 15 years to go Comcast and you could not pay me to buy the X1 DVR, literal junk! Even the cheap bundle pricing and very good PQ have me thinking about having some tress downed and paying more for Dish programming because the Hopper is so superior! I kept hoping TiVo would do better, but now with them getting bought and eventually exiting hardware business I support the FCC in trying to open up the box market. Honestly I am also pulling for Sling if they can figure out the DVR time shift thing.

I thought Dish supported this FCC proposal, because they wanted to be able to sell their Hopper boxes to cable users for use on cable, similar to what TiVo is doing now.

Now I would buy a Hopper for my Comcast, Dish Hopper is light years ahead of the competitors.

Now I would buy a Hopper for my Comcast, Dish Hopper is light years ahead of the competitors.

so whats all the hopper fee total.???

i bought lifetime tivos so no monthly fees on comcast, except a few bucks for the cablecard fee/

although i am converting to my tivo ota lifetime and stream netflix, and perhaps one other..

my OTA antenna has lots of programming, like me tv. we enjoy the old shows

Cable boxes have had a reputation throughout the past of being horrible to use, outdated and laggy crap.

Amen to that! I got away from the local podunk cable company years ago, but my parents still stuck with them. Other than adding the HD capability to the boxes they offer, they are basically the same boxes they've offered, with the same outdated interface, for nearly 20 YEARS now. It boggles the mind. o_O

any other fees? and how many channels can you record at the same time, and how many tvs can watch different programs?

obviously i know little about hoppers

The Hopper3 has 16 tuners (17 if you add the OTA adapter), plus you can record all 4 major locals on a single tuner, so maxed out, you can record 20 channels simultaneously. You can add up to 6 Joeys, for independent viewing on 7 locations.

Edited to fix the screwy math. :confused:

Reactions: charlesrshell
The Hopper3 has 16 tuners (17 if you add the OTA adapter), plus you can record all 4 major locals on a single tuner, so maxed out, you can record 21 channels simultaneously. You can add up to 6 Joeys, for independent viewing on 7 locations.
Maxed out is 20 channels with OTA and PTAT.

Reactions: DWS44
I just cannot imagine that a third-party company would be able to manufacturer an STB that would handle the multitude of LNB/switch combinations used by DirecTV and Dish.

Also, I can imagine the support nightmare and finger-pointing if there are issues with your satellite service.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I'm sure your right about the finger pointing. I havreTime Warner cable for my internet . Recently I finally got my own modem to escape their $10.00 a month modem charge . Yesterday I had a problem with my internet speeds and called their 1 800 help line. First thing out of the Csr ' s mouth was that is your modem and we can't do any thing from this end. Luckily it was only the coax not completely screwed in to the back of the modem, and I fixed it myself. But I could see DISH telling me the same thing if we could own our own boxes to escape the monthly fees.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)