Dish doesnt support Marriages

yea i kind of had the same problem. i have had dish for a while, girlfriend at that time (now wife) had dish as well...

called dish and got the same song and dance you got.. but her contract was up and i still had time on mine... but i owed my own boxes she leased hers.... well make a long story short she just canceled hers and we kept mine since i owe the boxes.

I agree with Dish on this one as well. There have to be limits put in place as to how may leased units they will allow on an account. These receivers are not cheap and putting that much expensive equipment in one household for free along with the necessary equipment to hook it up for free would be on the expensive side of things. I suppose the cable company might be able to hook you up with that many HD boxes but expect to see a very large cable bill out of that. Comcast charges me $12.95 a month for renting their HD DVR (I'm seriously contemplating going back to Dish...only reason I switched was because the apartment management did not allow roof installs, that has changed now though...) although I'm not quite sure how much they charge for a non DVR HD box, I think its $5-$6 a month. So let's say you had 4 HDTVs you wanted a DVR on and 4 you did not need a DVR. Comcast, to the best of my knowledge, does not waive DVR fees no matter what the programming package. So you'd be looking at around $71 in rental fees alone before you even got to programming costs.

So until HDTV sets become a lot more common than they are now, believe me they are still nowhere near as common as your garden variety SDTV set, it will be quite expensive to provide HD programming to that many HD sets.

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing with E* and had managed to get an additional tuner on my leased account. This was a one time exception and when E* killed my 922's last Summer, they would do nothing else and would cut no deals. They said I had to buy any additional receivers at full price and would not work any solution. No matter what I did I exceeded the limits on receivers and I could not get around their stupid tuner restrictions no matter what I tried to do unless I downsized the boxes. All the high end equipment that I want each is two tuners and I kept going over the limitations.
Your right in it is stupid to pay for two accounts but it may be your only choice for awhile. E* is not going to budge. I started a D* account and as I upgrade each TV, I purchased a D* box and added it to my D* account and turned in the E* box. When my E* subscription is up, I will probably turn in the last boxes and close the account. I would have stayed with E* but they will not loosen their restrictions on how many tuners or receivers you can have on your account. With all the HD boxes having 2 tuners a piece, you would think they would loosen up a little. D* does not restrict how many boxes or tuners you can have. The problem is paying $300 a box. (For HD DVR boxes) and then paying $5 a month on each box on account. If you add up how much you would need to spend with E* to replace the boxes that they will make you send back and still be stuck with tuner restrictions, compare how much it would cost your to start converting to D* Either way, It will probably be cheaper to hold on to both individual accounts for awhile until you can get your moving costs settled down. It was a expensive switch for me but I had enough of fighting with E* and their limits.
They more or less lost me as a customer.

Last edited:
Wiring

Back to building your house. Pull two ethernet cables and pull three coax cables to your TV's The HD sat boxes have ethernet connections and the HD DVD boxes will have or some already have Ethernet connections. I'm not by any means a network administrator and not sure if you can daisy chain the sat box and a HD DVD player together with 1 cable run from your router or switch. I do suspect as the electronics evolve, more and more equipment will have the ethernet port so they can get updates over the internet. It's alot easier now before the drywall goes up.

if they gave everyone who wanted 8 leased tuners that many, think of how high they would have to raise the rates to compensate for the cost of the equipment. not fair to all those who dont need excessive amounts of tuners.

You guys are not seeing my point..Im being to think your all DISH staff or something.. haha

Ok 1.. Yes I know there will be SD broadcast on other channels for a long time to come. Years..Old programming well call it.

But IF you want HD at all..say on any possible TV IN HD say, FOX 24 or What ever you need an HD TV at each possible viewing location to view it and you need an HD BOX to get it.. Ok are we all on the same page.. ?? This means I need/Want an HD box in every room that I have an HD TV.. say 7 TVs ok???? dont think I need to explain this anymore.

Now.. In order to get an HD BOX in every room, Dish will only discount
the 1st and 2nd box if I buy new..every box after is full price.
IE: HD Receiver vip222 at full cost times the number of Tvs I want on HD.. possible 4. (less the 2 she has already)

All I want to do is close my account.. keep hers since its still in contract
Move MY HD Boxes to her account. Then I dont have to PAY for new boxes which DISH wants me to do. I already paid for them under the lease contract.

As I stated above.. They did say I can keep both accounts under one address.. HELLO.. Why the hell would I do this.. I have to pay for double service with for the same programming.. Stupid.. $85/for each account vs pay for just 2 addtl box connects at what $5 or $6ea. Im not going to do as they offered and put less of an account on those(my) old boxes. Then I cant get all the programming she has at each location.

Worse comes to worse. I just walk away from my account and split the HDMI signals to multiple TVs with a distribution switcher. It might cost the same but at least I wont be paying for the month sub fee's

Dont get me wrong. I want Dish to have my money but not where Im paying $500 for new boxes when mine already work.

Maybe I am missing the point but with 2 622's and 2 222's you can only suppport 4 HDTV's, only TV1 output is HD, TV2 is SD. To support 8 HDTV's you would need 8 recievers, at least until someone comes up with a reciever which has HD outputs for TV1 and TV2.

Just a quick question. How long is this topic gonna be debated. My POINT is that dish will only ALLOW so many leased receivers PER ACCOUNT. If you want more Boxes you will have to buy them at full price. END OF STORY. This has nothing to do with marriage. Has to do with the Terms Of service agreement that you signed when you signed up for Dish Network.

Just a quick question. How long is this topic gonna be debated. My POINT is that dish will only ALLOW so many leased receivers PER ACCOUNT. If you want more Boxes you will have to buy them at full price. END OF STORY. This has nothing to do with marriage. Has to do with the Terms Of service agreement that you signed when you signed up for Dish Network.

Most everyone understands that except for the OP.

Dish is going all HD next year? Really!?!?!?! That must be news to the 11+ million of their customers that only SD service.
Dish isn't saying you can't do it. They are saying that if you want to have more receivers beyond what they allow leased per account (and that goes for everyone married or single, rich or poor by the way) then you have to buy them. I don't see the problem there.
Its news to the broadcasters too. The only thing happening in 2009 is the analog shutoff. There will still be plenty of SD.

The 4 leased tuner thing is not absolute!!! You have to go to retention or ERT to get it waived though. I currently have 6 leased tuners.

I knew I should have never posted this issue but I did..
Thanks TA I already have opened a case with retention and they are taking it up with management. I just thought voicing my opinion would get some who agree'd with my point.. Not a bashing. Oh well.

Maybe Ill post what comes of it..maybe I wont.

I knew I should have never posted this issue but I did..
Thanks TA I already have opened a case with retention and they are taking it up with management. I just thought voicing my opinion would get some who agree'd with my point.. Not a bashing. Oh well.

Maybe Ill post what comes of it..maybe I wont.

You have to admit you knew this was gonna happen. You know what you wanted no service is going to provide. Then you come on here and whine like a baby, like that is going to make dish change the rules for just YOU. Put the shoe on the other foot. What makes you so special that they should change the rules? I mean look you have all these high priced TV's and then you cry because you don't want to pay to get the service for them, it really makes you look silly.

Every provider has to put a limit on what they will give you free. If they did not they would never make any money thus they would go out of bussiness, and you would have no service. Sure Direct will let you have tons of receiver on one account, but you only get so many free. You exceed that number and you pay.

You have to admit you knew this was gonna happen. You know what you wanted no service is going to provide. Then you come on here and whine like a baby, like that is going to make dish change the rules for just YOU. Put the shoe on the other foot. What makes you so special that they should change the rules? I mean look you have all these high priced TV's and then you cry because you don't want to pay to get the service for them, it really makes you look silly.

Every provider has to put a limit on what they will give you free. If they did not they would never make any money thus they would go out of bussiness, and you would have no service. Sure Direct will let you have tons of receiver on one account, but you only get so many free. You exceed that number and you pay.

Yeah, but Dave, don't you get it, this guy is SPECCCCCCCCCCCIIAAAALLLLL!

Maybe I am confused but in various posts it seems you will have either 4, 6 or 8 HD TV sets in the combined household?

With that much money sunk into HDTVs, DVD players, cables, audio receivers, speakers, remotes and all the other goodies, why is money now an issue for keeping the 2nd account or purchasing the extra HD receivers?

Maybe I am confused but in various posts it seems you will have either 4, 6 or 8 HD TV sets in the combined household?

With that much money sunk into HDTVs, DVD players, cables, audio receivers, speakers, remotes and all the other goodies, why is money now an issue for keeping the 2nd account or purchasing the extra HD receivers?

Probably because you cannot get tv's for free or at very reduced prices, but Dish does do that for receivers. If you can greatly reduce 2 receivers, why not 4 or 8 or 1,000.

Having her two kids, two rec rooms fam etc.. it adds up to about 8 HD tvs total.

Just a suggestion for the new stepkids, to show them who's boss. Mirror a tv2 to their bedrooms and make them share a remote, it will be a good lesson in cooperation for them.

Like a previous poster stated, if you have 8 HD tv's you are living a very excessive lifestyle, and what's the difference if you pay $100/month for dish, or $200. by keeping both accounts. And 2 rec rooms?

With all that, what are you whining about an extra $100 bux a month? You deserve all the heat your getting in this post.

Last edited:
These receivers cost atleast $200-$300 to make.

DISH has to recoup this cost over time. That is one reason there is a limit. Another reason is the free install gets more complicated with more than 4 tuners. So there is an additional cost to for more receivers/tuners.

Kids don't need tv's in their bedrooms, and what the heck do you need 2 rec rooms for? does each kid need their own HD tv, and their own rec room?

Is it really necessary to digress and talk about what kids need or don't need. Let's be honest, does anyone NEED an HD TV? An HD monitor for work related purposes (graphic artist) is the only thing that comes to mind. Not sure how you can figure that kids need an HD tv any less than an adult. To take advantage of the video output of a PS3 or XBOX 360 you need an HD tv, so who's to say there isn't a valid argument for kids needing HD as much as adults. (Before I get flamed, yes I realize that adults play video games too- I'm one of them, just makig a point)

Don't judge his setup, it's his and his future wife's choice what should be in the kids rooms. As for the 2 rec rooms, that does seem excessive. But without knowing any of the details as to why they went with two rooms, blasting him for being excessive is needless.

There's no need for anyone here to tell someone else that their kids don't need something and that they're excessive for providing it. Can't we just stay on point?

OP: Dish is correct in not letting you merge these leased accounts. If they allowed you to do that because you got married, they would be favoring married individuals over single individuals (unless they'd be willing to do the same for two existing customers who decide to become roommates). The rules are the rules and we all have to play by them. But there's no harm in pushing for change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)