Dish Dvr/Sharing

cditty

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Northeast Louisiana
I was just reading about the comcast whole home system... Directv is already out. As a Dish customer, I am worried that they are falling far behind in this area. The sling products seem like vaporware.

Just getting concerned.

Even if the tv everywhere products come out they're only going to feed 2 TVs per 922.

I agree Dish is already falling behind.

I agree . DISH has spent about 2 years on trying to get the 922 with sling capability to the customer. Still no hd media extender so no way to do two hd tvs on one 922 . DISH was ahead on the whole idea of tv 1 and tv 2 using the traditional 622/722/722k and now they have really fallen behind. Even if they do accomplish the task of bringing ALL of the features promised for the 922 , they will still be way behind Directv with their whole house dvr sharing system.

Apparently Dish's Sling technology is the only "Whole Home" solution I know of, or really "Multi-Room" solution, as they will send out only one signal (I suppose more than one TV can receive them). There were other proposed solutions years ago and prototypes (including ONE box that would remodulate using ATSC and all you had to do was tune to a channel on your TV to access it, and all in HD, and the 2nd TV on a different ATSC channel, and so on). Here are the ones that should be reality (not vaporware) by the fall or end of year:

1. Sling Monitor 150: 922, for practical purposes like a 2nd TV function, to wirelessly Sling HD streaming video to the compatible Sling Monitor 150, acting like the current TV2 function on current systems, but in HD.

2. Sling Receiver 300: Similar in function to above #1, however hardware is an extremely thin STB that allows viewing the 922 on any TV in HD using your home network. It is supposed to come with HomePlug technology for those who may not have an Ethernet cabled room. The very slim hardware connects to the receiving TV in another room and HDMI is among the connections.

3. Slingbox 700U: This very small device connects to an IP enabled STB (on a past Tech Forum they stated 722K and 222K--the 922 is already Sling Loaded) and turns that box into a Sling Loaded device box, allowing it have the Sling functions of a 922, and in HD.

Further, the 922 (and the K's, I think) are to receive software updates to allow them to stream in HD to any Flash enabled TV, no additional hardware necessary. This would be through the home network.

Agreed. Dish is slow on this stuff. If should have been available at least when the 922 was launched. I am unaware of any whole home solutions in the works at Dish, but maybe Scott can illuminate us. Now, all we have to do is WAIT for Dish to get going on the promised Sling abilities. Falling behind Dish? Perhaps so.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)