DISH DVR & Vonage HookUp Question

athenaeum

Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I have the Linksys WRTP54G router, DISH Network, and 2 of the 5xx series DVR receivers. I'd really like to hook the DVRs up to Vonage so I can use the remote to order PPV, view my statement, etc...

I've been researching the forums here and on www.vonage-forum.com and I have, most likely a very dumb question...

What exactly do I need in terms of a Wireless Network Adapter. I assume it's something like this:

f5d7050.jpg

And I just plug this into the USB on the back of the DVR? Can it be that simple?
Again I apologize for the dumb question... I just don't wanna go buy something I don't need if this isn't it.

Thanks for any help!
N.-

athenaeum said:
I have the Linksys WRTP54G router, DISH Network, and 2 of the 5xx series DVR receivers. I'd really like to hook the DVRs up to Vonage so I can use the remote to order PPV, view my statement, etc... .

Thanks for any help!
N.-

Athenaeum,

NO No No, you will run a standard Phone Line cable from the Vonage Phone adaptor to all you phones and any Dish receivers in your home.

John

If Vonage is the only phone service that is coming into your house, you can connect your Vonage TA to a phone jack and provide those lines to all of the other jacks. You need to physically disconnect any other landline phone service you have or have had, though.

:) yes you must run a regular phone line to each recever. i have vonage connected to my 7200 which has a webtv browser and it works grate! some say to set the prefix to dial *99 but i don't and it still works. my internet connection is direcway satellite.

Be sure to get a modem quality wireless jack. It is more expensive but will work better.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the answers.
I live in an apartment and don't know if the actual landline (Verizon) has been completely unconnected. The jack is not live (except for E911 of course).

Can I split the signal from the output of Vonage and then run the second phone cable to the receiver that way? And what of the wireless jack?

Sorry if I sound stupid... I just wanna make sure I have all this down before I spend money on something I don't need. :)

Vonage

All you should have to do is put a splitter on your Vonage router and run a line to ! receiver because when you order PPV all your receivers should get the program. In a house it is easy to use existing phone lines but in an Apt you would need to find the entry point and disconnect it. over 3 yrs with Vonage and still happy. Good luck

noob needs help

Prewiring for new construction

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)