dish equipment question

ggdo

Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
thinking of getting dish, have direct now, bare bones,1 receiver.
it seems one must get the equipment setup right the first time as "for new customers only" (equivalent to "you're screwed now") is emphasized
everywhere.
customer service has told me there is no sd receiver - dual tuner or dual w/dvr - which will allow me to watch 1 channel and record another at the same tv. is this true? and if so, can it be gotten around? thanks for your help.

ggdo said:
thinking of getting dish, have direct now, bare bones,1 receiver.
it seems one must get the equipment setup right the first time as "for new customers only" (equivalent to "you're screwed now") is emphasized
everywhere.
customer service has told me there is no sd receiver - dual tuner or dual w/dvr - which will allow me to watch 1 channel and record another at the same tv. is this true? and if so, can it be gotten around? thanks for your help.

Stupid CS strikes again.

Echostar 322 = Dual tuner SD receiver - No DVR.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/standard/index.shtml

Echostar 522 = Dual tuner SD receiver DVR

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml

NightRyder

dish cs, tech support and tech support "coach" are all adament that i cannot record one channel and watch another on a single tv with the 522, even if i have a switchable receiver in line or a tv with 2 switchable inputs. what am i missing here?

all a 522 is is two receivers in one unit, so you could hook both TV outputs to the TV, or I think the "single" mode would do that too.

I dont have a 522 or 322, so I can't comment on the setup

a 522 in single mode will allow pic in pic, viewing recording one well watching another live, or recording 2 things at once while watching another recorded program at the same time. In single mode you only need one output to the tv as well

Iceberg said:
all a 522 is is two receivers in one unit, so you could hook both TV outputs to the TV, or I think the "single" mode would do that too.

I dont have a 522 or 322, so I can't comment on the setup

I have a dual input TV (two tuners) and you CAN do it both with the 322 and the 522. I did it with my 322 which is now replaced by a 522 and I am doing it now. They have no brains. In addition, you can connect the TV1 coax and theTV2 video output to the TV if you don't have dual input so you can watch the output of TV1 on the selected channel (channel 3) as well as the TV2 on a video input. With PIP on your TV, you can see them side by side even if you only have a single tuner. I've done that too.

Actually the 921 can't view both outputs at the same time. You need to toggle the SD/HD button to switch the outputs and even then you're seeing the same program. The 942 would provide two TVs at the same time as well as dual mode where you can split outputs from the two sat tuners.

"Actually the 921 can't view both outputs at the same time. You need to toggle the SD/HD button to switch the outputs and even then you're seeing the same program. The 942 would provide two TVs at the same time as well as dual mode where you can split outputs from the two sat tuners."

what are you talking about?the 921, and 721have a pip buttun which lets you watch them both

Get a 522, it's exactly what you are wanting, I'm an installer, and I have one. The 522 in single mode will let you watch and record two things at once on one tv, without hooking up both outputs to a tv and having to use both remotes...
Get a 522, you'll be happy with it... it has been out long enough now that they seem to have most of the bugs worked out on them.

When I said the 921 can't view both outputs at the same time, I meant you can't view two different TVs at the same time.

I only use the 921 on one TV, PIP is great, I can record an OTA, and HD channel and watch something else.

thanks all for your help. it is indeed possible with the 522 to record and view on 1 tv
with switching at the tv input or at the av receiver. i thought this must be possible,
but with my ignorance of present technology and dish cs adament denial, i thought i might be making a rookie mistake. anyway, thanks. by the way, that sucking sound you might hear for the next month or so is probably me seeking help. hopefully, when my equipment is installed and i understand it, i will be able to contribute to this program.

ggdo said:
thanks all for your help. it is indeed possible with the 522 to record and view on 1 tv
with switching at the tv input or at the av receiver. i thought this must be possible,
but with my ignorance of present technology and dish cs adament denial, i thought i might be making a rookie mistake. anyway, thanks. by the way, that sucking sound you might hear for the next month or so is probably me seeking help. hopefully, when my equipment is installed and i understand it, i will be able to contribute to this program.

Don't worry about it ggdo, we have all been there. :)

NightRyder

don't worry about it you will be fine, just try explaining how a 522 works to an 85 year old farmer who has only ever had a local antenna, that will fry your brain sometimes

Dish Dude said:
don't worry about it you will be fine, just try explaining how a 522 works to an 85 year old farmer who has only ever had a local antenna, that will fry your brain sometimes
Oh gawd - ain't THAT the truth!

Thank goodness for channel up/down lockout on the dish remotes (never had any luck with the green "R" key).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)