Dish for international channels, comcast for english channels and internet?

john_tang

Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
chicago
Hi,

I want to install dish so I can get the Chinese channels, however my HOA already have comcast and it is paid in my monthly assessment. So I'd like to see if I can have dish for international programming, but keep my english channels on comcast, will that work if use the same cable with a duplexer?

I hope they work on different bandwidth?

Have anybody done this before?
progress.gif
http://www.satelliteguys.us/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=2065997

No. Comcast occupies most all of the bandwidth.

Some have had success diplexing in broadband only with low pass filters, but the digital cable channels are almost certainly going to interfere with DISH Network and vice versa.

No. Comcast occupies most all of the bandwidth.

Some have had success diplexing in broadband only with low pass filters, but the digital cable channels are almost certainly going to interfere with DISH Network and vice versa.

I actually have Comcast Internet and the satellite signal on one cable and never had problems with it. As far as the digital cable channels, the highest frequency I think it's 1000 Mhz and satellite signal starts at 950 Mhz. Depending on his cable system, he might have problems with a few channels.

Randall,

Do you need to buy a diplexer for this? Or just ask the installation guy to split the cable, so one go to cable modem, other go to dish receiver, should work?

I actually have Comcast Internet and the satellite signal on one cable and never had problems with it. As far as the digital cable channels, the highest frequency I think it's 1000 Mhz and satellite signal starts at 950 Mhz. Depending on his cable system, he might have problems with a few channels.
Diplexers will typically whack everything above 900MHz which may cheat you out of some cable channels. My local Comcast appears to have signals upwards of 1.3GHz on the cable. Its their cable and they can stuff whatever they want, wherever they want be it TV, data or phone. As they add more services, they will almost certainly consume more bands.

The DOCSIS 3.0 specification includes downlink frequencies to 1.008GHz (though a modem will usually negotiate something lower).

I have my cable modem at home, is there anyway to know which frequency it operates on?

Most modems have the diagnostics page at 192.168.1.100. Open your browser and type the IP and see if it connects.

My cable system doesn't go too high, I can't remember the exact frequency but it's in the 700 Mhz range for download and 60 Mhz for upload.

Diplexers will typically whack everything above 900MHz which may cheat you out of some cable channels.

Correct. They actually go from 5-860 Mhz and 950-2100 Mhz. The lower and upper frequency they pass depends on what type of diplexer you're using.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts