Dish HD Like a bad Japanese Horror Movie?

brgmgb

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 4, 2010
Indiana
A coworker of mine just upgraded to HD. He came into my office and complained to me about how mad he was.

First, because he has had Dish for several years, he had to pay a few hundred dollars to upgrade. Then they took his old DVR which had shows he wanted to keep. Finally, he said that on every HD channel that the voices don't match the mouth movement. He said the standard def channels are fine.

He said Dish sent him a different DVR, but it made no difference.

I have no plans to upgrade to HD, but has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there a solution that will leave all channels with voices in sync?

It can also be the cables if he's not using HDMI. I've had problems with audio sync when using different cables for audio and video.

And many times it's a TV sync issue. Turn off the TV, then back on. Worked many times for me. Another case of putting the blame where it does not belong.

Indeed, if this was a Dish problem, there would be a lot more complaints. He has a setting wrong either on his receiver or the TV, or, as pointed out above, it could be cables if he is using component + either RCA or optical.

First try menu 6-1-7, and make sure it is set to High Def.

What did he expect them to leave it behind until he gets caught up on the shows he has stored?? That's why they allow you to activate an EHD so you can move them off of the DVR!
Unfortunately, the EHD do not work with any of the SD DVR's. He would of had to use a VCR, DVD recorder or computer.

They probably would have let him keep the old DVR, provided he paid for an extra receiver. But this guy probably wanted to have his cake and eat it, and keep the old DVR for free. He should have caught himself up an his shows before upgrading.

Shows being out of Sync with certain channels is pretty standard... especially Food Network and TNT. It seems one out of every handful of shows has that problem. I tried e-mailing food network about it since it's one of the major channels we watch and got a generic thank you email.

Shows being out of Sync with certain channels is pretty standard... especially Food Network and TNT. It seems one out of every handful of shows has that problem. I tried e-mailing food network about it since it's one of the major channels we watch and got a generic thank you email.

its not food net it may be the hdmi hook up.try component cable,
not saying its the hdmi cable.

I've had my 722k for a year and a half now, and only once I had a sync issue, and it was just TBS and everyone was having the issue. If you know how to setup your equipment correctly you should not have this problem.

Audio sync issues are part and parcel of digital multimedia sources. Upconverting DVD players, VCD, BluRay, video games and HDTV all suffer from it. Some DVD/BluRay palyers and HDTVs have audio synch adjustments. Almost all Home Theater Receivers have adjustment linked to source, so the delay for BluRay will not be the same as DVR delay. It is a big reason to switch to an HDMI switching HT Receiver. The bigger reason is multichannel sound - often times soundtracks are better than the picture.

That said, the best you can do for HDTV is get close to sync. It changes from channel to channel. Comcast is the worst. Often times you have to stop/start recordings to get them to sync. During real time viewing, you have to change channels to fix sync.

I've had my 722k for a year and a half now, and only once I had a sync issue, and it was just TBS and everyone was having the issue. If you know how to setup your equipment correctly you should not have this problem.

The guy is 65 years old. He has not touched anything that the installer hooked up. I have no idea what cables he is using, but I doubt he has an HDMI cable.

I copied and pasted some of the posts in an email to him. Thanks for the input.

I am surprised how many said that this is a common problem on HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts