DISH HD Pic Getting Soft?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Boondockbill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
Started 2-weeks ago on my 18-month old Toshiba 57HDX82 Cinema Series Widescreen. The usually stunning DiscoveryHD doesn't have that "wow" factor anymore. HBO and SHOW are starting to look like SD. Anybody heard of any over compression or three channels on one transponder? I live in So Cal.

Nope looks good here . I'm in Mobile AL

What does where you live have to do with picture quality of HD channels ?

ROLLTIDE said:
Nope looks good here . I'm in Mobile AL

What does where you live have to do with picture quality of HD channels ?

Southern California gets it's HBO and Showtime HD from both the 110 and 148 birds. Maybe he is looking at the 148 bird to watch his movie channels. It could be relevant. Just to keep this in prospective though, I see no difference between my feeds from 110 and 148.

I thought maybe it was just me, but I also believe it is getting soft. My ota built in tuner on my Mits gets a sharper picture than my 6000 now. It wasn't this way few weeks ago. Might be just me, but thats the way it looks to me.

BobMurdoch said:
Maybe they are starting to compress more because of Sirius coming soon?

It's real easy to check up on them if they're monkeying with the compression. Just compare it with your OTA HD channels. If they start to look really soft compared to the OTA offerings, you know they're playing with the compression.

Bobby said:
Southern California gets it's HBO and Showtime HD from both the 110 and 148 birds. Maybe he is looking at the 148 bird to watch his movie channels. It could be relevant. Just to keep this in prospective though, I see no difference between my feeds from 110 and 148.

All HD is off the 110 satellite. Moved about maybe a month ago. Only CBS HD is still on 148 along with a lot of spanish and other language programming.

Boondockbill said:
Started 2-weeks ago on my 18-month old Toshiba 57HDX82 Cinema Series Widescreen. The usually stunning DiscoveryHD doesn't have that "wow" factor anymore. HBO and SHOW are starting to look like SD. Anybody heard of any over compression or three channels on one transponder? I live in So Cal.

The other night, watching the Memphis vs. S.A. (Go Spurs Go!) game, I also thought the image looked way to soft. I was even thinking about visiting the ophthalmologist, so I would say yes, Dish is probably compressing more there HD signal.

Tyralak said:
It's real easy to check up on them if they're monkeying with the compression. Just compare it with your OTA HD channels. If they start to look really soft compared to the OTA offerings, you know they're playing with the compression.

And if you don't have any OTA HD channels????

splino said:
The other night, watching the Memphis vs. S.A. (Go Spurs Go!) game, I also thought the image looked way to soft. I was even thinking about visiting the ophthalmologist, so I would say yes, Dish is probably compressing more there HD signal.

Dish currenlty passes all signals through uncompressed. There are many reasons a presentation may look soft. ESPN's stuff always looks softer than HDNet. Espn's signal is sent out at 720p and depending on your setup may be converted to 1080i. Sometimes the source material or transfer is not that good.

All current reports are that Dish is testing 3HD channels on one channel on 148. This test is not viewable to the general public. I don't believe they are compressing these test channels just changing modulation and turbo coding.

bobiii said:
All HD is off the 110 satellite. Moved about maybe a month ago. Only CBS HD is still on 148 along with a lot of spanish and other language programming.

Actually, I'm still getting hbohd and shohd on 148. I believe they've been switched to 8psk. Probably left since they have nothing else to do with the space.

bobiii said:

Then can you tell why it is that I still get all the same programming off of 148 that I did after a few weeks back? I get HBO-HD and Sho-HD on 2 different sets of channels. You'll find that the channels are still on 148, as listed here: http://dishchannelchart.com/.

There have been previous threads as to why DishNet decided to leave these channels on 148. Most believe that they are there to get a better look in Hawaii and Alaska.

The HD movie channels did move off of 61.5 though.

GaryPen said:
It's moot for the 811/DishPro users anyway, as their systems stopped being able to receive 148 a couple of weeks ago.

Poor Mets. Last place again? I ditched them after they sold everybody after the great 2000 season. They're in a mess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)