Dish HD vs Voom HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ron2nd2nd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
I have the Dish HD package and was wondering with Voom having so many more channels is it worth changing to Voom. Thanks for the info....

Ron C.

Voom has a lot of money problems and may not make it as a company from what I hear and read. Someone posted huge losses weekly. If you go with Voom you would be taking a chance. Dish is here to stay, and I believe it will catch up on HD soon.

Ron, I agree that Voom may be doomed, but I'm tired of the lack of HD channels on Dish and that fact that none of Dish's HD equipment seems to work right. (Yes, I see Voom has problems, too.) I found Charile's promise of not adding any new HD channels until MPEG-4 is in service next year to be very discouraging.

I am seriously looking in to Voom's current deal that is a $1 install for a six month commitment. I plan to keep my Dish subscription alive with the superstations package (I don't get UPN or WB locally) which should cost me $10.99/mo. Add that to my Voom subscription and the total is nearly the same as what I pay for Dish now, so I feel that it's worth giving Voom a chance. After the six months, I'll see where Dish is at. Maybe by then they will own Voom!

I don't watch sports and I don't subscribe to premium movie channels, so there just isn't enough HD on Dish to keep me happy right now. Where is Universal HD? Not on Dish!

I'm planning on visiting my local installer about Voom on Monday.

Mike J

I too have been thinking about going to Voom, but I'd hate to have to pay through the nose for equipment if I have to come crawling back to Dish.
I'm hoping they will treat people right when forced to upgrade to mpeg 4 receiver for new HD.
Anyway to put a Dish account on hold for a few months then reinstate it.

MV

I was thinking about getting voom for a month, but decided against it. Yeah It's great they have their 21 channels, but while checking out their guide, I haven't found to many programs that I'd watch. And the stuff is repeated so often it's a joke. Im my eyes. The only channel that voom has over dish is Universal HD. And I'd still probably not watch that channel as nearly as much as I watch HDNet and the networks. So I'm content with Dish's HD pack.

What if Dish had the bandwidth now? What would they be able to add that qualifies as HD? Adding the networks doesn't matter to anyone already watching them OTA. And for those of us who don't live near the O&O's, it's a moot point anyway. For people who don't like a lot of sports, ESPN is enough and we don't need 2. I don't know about the rest of you guys but the Premium channels (with exception of HBO) seem to me to be a waste of cash, now. Making them High Def upconverts don't make them any more worthwhile. They look like my DVD player's output. And I get better variety at the Video store. So what's left? I think when Charlie said there was nothing compelling to add, I believe he was right to the extent that there is nothing...yet. And for you guys thinking of going for VOOM, the novelty wears off fast. A channel's draw is not based on quality alone. With the exception of a couple, most of that stuff on there is a big Yawn. The regular channels look fine but I think you'll be pissed at the guide and the remote, quite a bit. Just so you know.

My HD contract is up in February. I will drop it, although I will miss HDNET. (HDNet is the only thing worth watching on the HD package) I watch OTA HD probably 80-20 vs the HD package.

Am contentplating switching to Voom. The rumors of Voom's demise is only that, rumors. They are very active on promoting their product and with 40+ HD channels, have a whole bunch more to offer than E* or D*. Now would be a good time to switch since Mpeg4 is on the horizon, the 811 still sucks and E*'s lack of HD initiative.

I was thinking of Voom but decided against it when I researched it. I have heard their HD programs are pretty much in continuous loop and what programing they have on those channels are a bore. I have also heard that their HD receiver locks up constantly and when you need tech support (which I hear you will often) it is near impossible to get it. I like the way Voom thinks as far as keeping ahead on HD programing but there are one too many kinks to work out for my taste and their base package cost a bit more than Dish. That is why I decided to go with old faithful and get Dish.
Chuck

Yup, i'm sticking with dish as well. I was contemplating Voom but as you said their HD originals are a laugh and are repeated way to offer. I'll enjoy my loads of value I get from HDNet alone...

As oppossed to what? The wealth of HD offerings on DISH?

If you are serious about HD there are currently two options. VOOM and cable. DISH has become the last place player in the HD race.

Finally, with $1 for a three room setup what is the risk? If they go bust you are left with an installed OTA antenna and 3 leased boxes that could be used as HD OTA tuners. The other providers would probably be making all sorts of sweet deals to sign you up. And the risk is ...?

Personally, I don't board sinking ships, no matter how cheap the fare is. ;)

For the moment I gain nothing by going to D*. Same number of HD channels available to me, I would just trade TNT-HD for Universal-HD. Why bother?

NightRyder

Hey, speaking of sinking ships, GM abandoned both the Firebird and Camaro! Better jump off that sinking ship avatar and onto a rice burner. :)

Amphicar770 said:
Hey, speaking of sinking ships, GM abandoned both the Firebird and Camaro! Better jump off that sinking ship avatar and onto a rice burner. :)

Actually mine is at least a couple of generations removed from the last models built. It is 1 of 1207 and is appraised at twice what it sold for new, so there is nothing sinking about it. More importantly, it didn't stop functioning when GM ceased production and I can still buy everything it needs to perform (gas, oil, tires). Will you be able to say the same for a Voom system this time next year? Highly unlikely.

BTW I don't do rice burners.....but a new GTO might be fun :D

NightRyder

Now that E* purchased the bird and uplink facilities, what is the future of V*?

Don't jump ship to V* since you'll still be switching back to E*.

Now they wont. The subs will be dead. They will have to choose where to go.

The choice is simple when your investment in DBS is worthless, cable. Their hardware is now competitive and they offer locals in HD in many DMAs. In metro-Denver, cable is the only way for 95% of the DMA to receive the ABC local (i.e., MNF in HD).

Ron2nd2nd said:
I have the Dish HD package and was wondering with Voom having so many more channels is it worth changing to Voom. Thanks for the info....

Ron C.

Um, no.

Carl B said:
The choice is simple when your investment in DBS is worthless, cable. Their hardware is now competitive and they offer locals in HD in many DMAs. In metro-Denver, cable is the only way for 95% of the DMA to receive the ABC local (i.e., MNF in HD).
Unh. Maybe you should check the size of the Denver DMA before making such statements. ;)

No more than 10-20% (I'm being generous) of the DMA's land area is even served by analog cable, let alone digital.

I'm only going by the news reports in the DP and RMN and I believe they are based on viewer percentages, not land area. Sorry if my statement was confusing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts