DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

interesting you posted that date. I saw a rumor about the Hopper being released on 2/1/12 rather than March.

Probably not true if Dish hasn't even decided on pricing yet, but thought i'd mention the coincidence.

That date just has to do with when the new promotions start. Feb. 1st is usually the start of a new promotion and this will run till the end of May, and then until the end of August I believe. Pretty much the same every year.

The eSATA port will not be active at launch.

The ethernet port will not substitute for the coax line to the Joey, it lets the Hopper access the internet for advanced features for cases where it's easier to make the internet connection in a Joey room rather than where the Hopper is. I think that's done with the MoCA Bridge.

I've added press conference photos to EKB: CES 2012 Coverage.

Pricing & release date to be announced @ Team Summit? :rolleyes:

Team summit might be correct, but they keep floating a first quarter date so I'm hoping it will be before Team Summit. They are bleeding customers with the Directv HR34 out and saving the announcement even for a month or so doesn't make business sense to me.

Team summit might be correct, but they keep floating a first quarter date so I'm hoping it will be before Team Summit. They are bleeding customers with the Directv HR34 out and saving the announcement even for a month or so doesn't make business sense to me.

Since it has not even been out for a month, I seriously doubt it.

Since it has not even been out for a month, I seriously doubt it.

Good point. I didn't really make a good argument there. What I meant really was the Whole Home concept that Directv seems to be way ahead of Dish on. I would think that Dish will want to get on the bandwagon ASAP.

There is a very skewed perception of what is needed in these forums. 99% of folks don't have 6 tuners recording at once. I bet 95% of folks with Dish HD locals don't use or care about OTA. I expect OTA will be supported, but even if not, the box would still be a fit for the majority of homes.
You would be surprised about what people say about TV setups.
I work with a lot of none technical people and they talk TV almost every day.
Today the hot topic is directs new guide they hate the black background
for uvers it always the same complaints only 4 streams per house
Comcast is only 1 dvr per house on there any room system even though they have unlimited live tuners
with dish well its no mrv and the high prices.
the 3 tune approach for 4 tv will not make them any friends that's for sure

I'm just a consumer with enough techie in me to enjoy reading about these things. And from a currently D* customer looking in, I think the 3 tuner is definitely a low number to have. For my useage, I would need 2 of them, but not need a Joey if they can share with each other. 2 locations, I currently use 4 tuners for me, my son uses 2 tuners and we never share them, except him watching some of what I've scheduled.

But that's me. For the majority of customers with 1 to 3 TVs, I can see that it could be a good setup, especially with the PrimeTime recording the way they describe. As we all know, the stuff on broadcast often does not repeat within a short period of time, but the 'cable' channels do for the most part.

On a humorous note, could they have made the logos any bigger? :)

As to D*'s new HDGUI. I'm in the school that thinks - meh :( Nothing there to write home about, and really no change other than cosmetics. Well not true. My HR24s were quicker in almost all things with the old GUI, except for when actually in the guide. Now the guide itself is quicker, but everything else is slower.

Just for grins, let's compare the existing 722k with the new Hopper/Joey combination

2 satellite tuners
optional 2 OTA tuners
TV1 output in HD
TV2 output in SD only
no TV3, 4, etc.
no ability to share contents between multiple units
PIP (not sure about TV2, but would be in SD if supported)

Hopper/Joey
3 satellite tuners
OTA possibly available unknown date after launch
TV1 HD
TV2 HD
TV3 HD
TV4 HD
with second Hopper, you get TV5-TV8 in HD, plus the ability to share recordings between all units
PIP on Hopper units only

So to recap, as an integrated system the Hopper/Joey combo gives support for more satellite tuners (with 2 Hoppers you get 6 tuners that can be used simultaneously, vs only 2), more discrete TVs supported (up to 8 in HD, compared with 1 HD and 1 SD), all with the ability to use any tuner or watch any recorded program. The negatives are that PIP is limited to Hopper-connected TVs, and OTA is promised but not delivered.

Clearly, this will not satisfy everybody, but what does? My guess is that most families will be satisfied with one Hopper and one or more Joeys, but if 3 tuners aren't enough, you can add 3 more with another Hopper that integrates with the existing system. I have never been willing to pay for a second 722 to support my second HD TV because then you're locked into watching a recorded program on a particular set; for me that has been a deal-breaker. Having the base unit support 5 or more tuners is overkill for the average family, and would cost Dish more to deploy; the new solution gives the best of both worlds.

If you need PIP on TV2 you can get a second Hopper, I guess, or stay with one or more 722s. Obviously, if OTA is important, you won't be an early adopter of the Hopper. But what else am I missing? Seriously, folks, this is a significant upgrade in every respect, and is very competitive with other vendors' solutions

Have there been any information about pricing on this yet? Even some great guessing?? :)
The greatest guess I've seen is $10/mo for the Hopper/DVR fee (just like the 922), and $7/mo per Joey. Though I would hope as thin clients they would be priced less than what they are charging for a 211k...so maybe $5-6? That would be competitive with what D* is charging for their HR24 add-ons. Maybe the 1st Joey would be included no charge. Gawd, there I go being optimistic again. :rolleyes:

with a setup like this where there are three shared tuners, is there a technical way to limit a family member from accidentally tying up too many tuners by setting too many recordings?

still trying to understand the dynamic between Joeys and the Hopper in terms of people sharing everything.

The negatives are that PIP is limited to Hopper-connected TVs, and OTA is promised but not delivered.

The PIP on Hopper only is not really a negative vs a 622/722. You can't do PIP at all on the 622/722/722k if they are in Dual mode.

The greatest guess I've seen is $10/mo for the Hopper/DVR fee (just like the 922), and $7/mo per Joey. Though I would hope as thin clients they would be priced less than what they are charging for a 211k...so maybe $5-6? That would be competitive with what D* is charging for their HR24 add-ons. Maybe the 1st Joey would be included no charge. Gawd, there I go being optimistic again. :rolleyes:

The other charge that might come into play is a MRV charge. I think that Directv has such a charge.

Any word on NY RSN's from CES?

Sling adapter is only playing live TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts