DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

Forgive me if this may have been covered in an earlier thread,but if you have a VIP722k,or any other earlier VIP receivers/dvrs,could you be able to also hook them up by MoCA to a Hopper? I know D* allows for certain of the HD DVRs & receivers(HR20/21/22/23/R22/H21/23) to be hooked up to DECA with adapters to their newer DVR/receivers(HR24/34/H24/25), I would hope that Dish allows for the same thing with their receivers,especially since I have a VIP722k waiting to get hooked up & I wouldn't want to have to ditch it if I also got a Hopper later.

Forgive me if this may have been covered in an earlier thread,but if you have a VIP722k,or any other earlier VIP receivers/dvrs,could you be able to also hook them up by MoCA to a Hopper? I know D* allows for certain of the HD DVRs & receivers(HR20/21/22/23/R22/H21/23) to be hooked up to DECA with adapters to their newer DVR/receivers(HR24/34/H24/25), I would hope that Dish allows for the same thing with their receivers,especially since I have a VIP722k waiting to get hooked up & I wouldn't want to have to ditch it if I also got a Hopper later.

MoCA using 265QAM modulation, and no one ViP has support of it, hence the letter X in XiP line, eg DP/DPP eXtended - IP stack over MoCa 256QAM media.

So no possibility of an external adapter then?

There is no technical reason a VIP couldn't talk to the hopper either directly over ethernet or via a moca-ethernet bridge. That being said, I doubt we will ever see it.

MoCA using 265QAM modulation, and no one ViP has support of it, hence the letter X in XiP line, eg DP/DPP eXtended - IP stack over MoCa 256QAM media.
I wonder if a device with a Clear QAM tuner would be able to access the content? Yeah, I just saw QAM and went with it. I'm assuming it's still encrypted to the Joeys.

I've done a little browsing the posts regarding Joey/Hopper but still can’t find what the projected cost is. I found the technology by asking about advantages/disadvantages of going 722->922, and the recommendation was to wait for the Joey. I would wait and adopt the new technology if the cost for the upgraded receiver and monthly charges are not significantly higher than existing technology. At present I have 4 HDTVs in the house but we are only 2 viewers so 2 tuners on the 722 are okay except that TV2 will only show SDTV. Since I’m usually relegated to TV2 the ability to watch HD there would help. Also I have a 500 GB HDD hooked up but I have several hundred hours of stored programming there, most of which I’ll probably never get around to watching. We’re not big Blockbuster fans and the ability to download recent movies doesn’t excite us. We already can do that with the 722 but don’t.

Somewhere on one of the posts I saw the term “cloud.” Will the Joey be able to pick up stuff stored e.g., on iCloud? Also, one reason for considering the 922 is that I was ready to purchase the sling adaptor so that I could watch Dish programming anywhere on my iPad.

Again, my primary question is cost. Any ideas? I’m thinking that even though the projected technology is impressive, it may not be worth the additional cost for our specific situation and preferences (except the ability to watch HDTV on more than TV1).

No word on actual costs yet, but the projection is that for basic 2-room HD setups, the costs should be in line with current fee structures of the 922, maybe even less if the the first Joey is included with no additional fee. Hope the projections (customer guesstimations) hold true.

I'm not sure if I missed it or if no one has asked yet so I'll ask here.

Will the Hopper do "DISH Pass" and "Manual" timers like every other DISH DVR except the 922 do?

I wanted to chime in and say that Dish is probably not recoding the whole transponder for the PrimeTime Anytime feature, but just the major network streams on a single transponder (unless they have dedicated a transponder to only the major networks). Recording multiple streams from a single transponder using a single tuner is quite common for users in Europe who are running HTPC off their satellite feeds. It is less common in the U.S., but still programs like SageTV have plugins to support this feature for FTA users.

From dish.com/hopper
"The Hopper's exclusive feature, PrimeTime Anytime, gives you instant On Demand access to your favorite shows on ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC in HD. "

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Have seen the statement. What I'm saying is if it is doing that by recording the whole tp then many markets will get more than the big 4. As in say DFW has on the tp they are on in EA it has the big 4 plus CW, MyTV, & PBS. So it would record those as well. SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 61.5°W It's tp 15 spot 16.

It will only playback the big 4 networks even though it records all channels on the spot beam.

They may expand it In the future but don't want to confuse the maker because a lot of areas do not have the cw, my network tv or PBS in HD.

Would be neat to record 10 shows at once :)

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Have seen the statement. What I'm saying is if it is doing that by recording the whole tp then many markets will get more than the big 4. As in say DFW has on the tp they are on in EA it has the big 4 plus CW, MyTV, & PBS. So it would record those as well. SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 61.5°W It's tp 15 spot 16.

My bet is they'll limit it to the big 4, even though they could probably do more. With the differences between markets and differences between EA and WA in individual markets they will probably want to keep it as simple and clean as possible. The average user won't understand what a transponder is, and they wouldn't want to piss off folks when/if they eventually move a station off the Big4 transponder and now its no longer recording.

Ideally they would "leak" some sort of enabling code or hidden menu option to do it for geeks like us. We would all think we're getting away with something thats not supported and couldn't complain when they moved things around.

They may expand it In the future but don't want to confuse the maker because a lot of areas do not have the cw, my network tv or PBS in HD.
Not sure I'm buying their line. How is that more confusing than not having HD locals at all?

It will only playback the big 4 networks even though it records all channels on the spot beam.

Would be neat to record 10 shows at once :)

Sent from my iPad using The SatelliteGuys app!

Scott, Have your sources confirmed that it is recording the entire spot beam? It would seem to me that they would be able to pull the big 4 out of the spotbeam and record only that portion of the beam. Further separation might occur when any one channel is replayed. It would use a lot of disk space (even if it is on their portion of the HDD). Just asking.

Scott, Have your sources confirmed that it is recording the entire spot beam? It would seem to me that they would be able to pull the big 4 out of the spotbeam and record only that portion of the beam. Further separation might occur when any one channel is replayed. It would use a lot of disk space (even if it is on their portion of the HDD). Just asking.

What's the maximum bit rate of the transponder? We'll use 40 Mbits/second which correlates nicely to 5 MB/second and makes the math easy. You would need 300MB / minute and 18GB / hour. So now we're talking about 54 GB / day for 3 hours times 8 days which is 432GB. If they carve out 600GB from the 2TB drive it easily fits with room to spare.

Scale storage accordingly based on actual transponder bandwidth.

Wait, I thought the Hopper essentially is the re-branded XiP?

It is.

blackloz asked the difference between the XIP and the hopper.... which i believe is nothing ... XIP was the early name during development until Dish decided to brand it as the Hopper/Joey.

You're right. He clearly stated that, yet I read it as the difference between the Hopper and current offerings. Brain Burp.

BobaBird said:
Not sure I'm buying their line. How is that more confusing than not having HD locals at all?

By limiting it to big four in HD they are offering a consistent message to all consumers with HD locals provided by Dish. This is important to get the message out and not confuse people. If the prime time anytime was dependent on what locals were available in HD in a given area, people would have to look it up and it wouldn't be as clear for branding purposes. And let's be clear, most consumers know nothing about transponders and spot beams and would have no idea how to look it up.

Hopefully they'll realize that the stream is being recorded anyway and they might as well give those of us with additional HD channel locals access to those additional locals. Perhaps with an asterisk saying additional prime time anytime channels available in certain areas.

Can I have the reserved HDD space available to me if I never plan to use Primetime Anytime? :D

...don't answer that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)