Dish: If Comcast Can Buy Time Warner Cable, We Can Buy DirecTV

I'm fine with that argument. Just don't make it about one person. That said, I don't see where Dish is going to be able to clear out bandwidth for 4K.

There is a new system that is at least twice as efficient as MPEG-4, which would make UHD transmissions from satellites practical. In a very few years.

No offense but don't the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? Find a way that Dish can clear up satellite bandwidth for 4K services in a world of content delivery that is rapidly changing and you could have a point.

Even if Dish or DTV offer 4K, they will end up compressing the hell out of it and it wont look any better than uncompressed HD, which would use less bandwidth anyway...

Even if Dish or DTV offer 4K, they will end up compressing the hell out of it and it wont look any better than uncompressed HD, which would use less bandwidth anyway...

Unless someone else offers higher PQ. Then a few will be attracted by the better PQ, and the MANY will be attracted by the higher advertised numbers!

Not to mention, there is no such thing as uncompressed HD! It's always a matter of degree.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

No offense but don't the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few? Find a way that Dish can clear up satellite bandwidth for 4K services in a world of content delivery that is rapidly changing and you could have a point.
Needs of the many... 4k? Wouldn't that be the needs of the very few?

I agree with you for the short term but within 2 or 3 years 4K will be all you can buy in sets 50" and above. It would behoove Dish to get ahead of the game and give the new buyers a reason to switch to Dish.

I agree with you for the short term but within 2 or 3 years 4K will be all you can buy in sets 50" and above. It would behoove Dish to get ahead of the game and give the new buyers a reason to switch to Dish.
But there are diminishing returns between HD and 4K. A lesser compressed HD signal would look quite smashing and the improvement to 4K only benefits those with huge TVs or those that sit 4 feet from their screen. SD -> HD was a huge jump. HD -> 4K much less significant.

To make matters worse, Dish and Directv may need to offer 4K and HD signals which really bonks the donkey.

4K has a more commercial use appeal than home use... for the many.

Before worrying about broadcasting in 4K, what happened to 1080p ? Providers can't even do that....

UltraHD was introduced what, 2 years ago at the most ? Looking at the price of 4K-capable TVs, the average consumer isn't going to touch them for a few years. Then the providers will take a few more years to provide it, if they ever do.

Before worrying about broadcasting in 4K, what happened to 1080p ? Providers can't even do that....

UltraHD was introduced what, 2 years ago at the most ? Looking at the price of 4K-capable TVs, the average consumer isn't going to touch them for a few years. Then the providers will take a few more years to provide it, if they ever do.

Directv is way more prepared to do 4k than Dish is. Also, 1080P is is being broadcast now and has been for a while. You forget about all of those 24/7 1080P PPV movie channels DirecTV broadcasts. Programming providers put a pause on 1080P on purpose as they knew 4k was coming. Why invest in 1080P only to swap out to 4k a year later. There is a reason why 1080P was skipped.

I am sure by the time that 4k becomes the norm, if ever, that DISH will come up with MPEG 8 or MPEG 16 to compress the picture enough to make room for the 4k versions of the hd channels we have today. MPEG4 can compress 8 hd channels on to one transponder without picture quality problems. So MPEG 8 or 16 will be able to the same with 4k. But I don't see 4k becoming a success anymore than 3-D did. People do not have the money to upgrade to all new tvs so soon after the last digital transition in 2010. IF we ever see the economy come back with JOBs like in the 90s , you might get people to be able to afford new tvs again, but not at $5000.00 prices that you see them trying to sell 4k tvs today. Especially since the improvement in picture quality can't be seen on the 4k tvs unless you sit really close to see the pixels or you have 60 - 70 inch tv screen . Otherwise it looks like 1080p which most people already have today. Not many apartments or homes can accomadate a tv that big anyway. This is just another way for the industry to try to get people to spend again on electronics. It won't work anymore than 3-D did.