Dish in Mexico City, Mexico

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

roberttraver

Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
I am trying to get Dish in Mexico City. I had Directv but they have changed the transponders and I only receive four out of thirty-two. I have a 1.8 meter dish and I would like to know if a Directv dual LNB will work for the Dish Network. Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :confused:

roberttraver said:
I am trying to get Dish in Mexico City. I had Directv but they have changed the transponders and I only receive four out of thirty-two. I have a 1.8 meter dish and I would like to know if a Directv dual LNB will work for the Dish Network. Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :confused:

The new satellites are going up and the footprints have tightened up to the CONUS borders as Central and Latin America are not intended to be able to receive US signals; thats why they offer DirecTV LA. No, a DirecTV LNBF will not work for Dishnetwork reception and you might want to check their satellite footprints as well.

charper1 said:
The new satellites are going up and the footprints have tightened up to the CONUS borders as Central and Latin America are not intended to be able to receive US signals; thats why they offer DirecTV LA. No, a DirecTV LNBF will not work for Dishnetwork reception and you might want to check their satellite footprints as well.

A DirecTV LNB will work for Dishnetwork. But you will only get one orbital slot.

roberttraver
1.8 meter, I guess that is about 6 ft ??

I know of a person down your way who is using a 10ft solid-type ( non mesh ) C-band dish w/ a D* LNB rigged up to it. Last I chatted with him he was still getting a good signal.

I know it's out of the footprint down there, but I assume a bigger dish still gets enough of a fringe signal to work. I use to chat with a guy in Central America who used a rigged up 14ft solid fiberglass dish to get Dishnetwork programming, But it's been a year or so since I chatted with him, so I dunno if he still gets a signal. They had a mold that they made the dishes on, much the same way a fiberglass hulled boat is made......

I think that if you have a US based address and you own your equipment you could receive the signal where ever you want to go like North America and Central America. In fewer words where the signal reaches!!

wicked said:
I think that if you have a US based address and you own your equipment you could receive the signal where ever you want to go like North America and Central America. In fewer words where the signal reaches!!
Well, when you don't know how satellite transmissions work, or what the legal issues are, you would think that. :cool:

Rob, to get Dish reception in Mexico City you will need a 2.4m dish for 110. After the echo 8 to 11 change, the footprint over mexico changed. Some that did not have signal before have 80s and 90s, and those that had good signals before lost them. The footprint totally changed. The DTV Lnb will work just fine.

You will need a 1.2 M for 119 and a 2.4m for 110. (this is for DF, other locations may use smaller dishes)

And to those that nag about the signal being for the US. I hope someday you have to live somewhere aoutside the US for a couple of months and see how bad you miss your good ol USA channels. If I pay for it and have the means to get it even if it means having two huge ass dishes (1.2m and 1.8m), a voip router to hook up my receivers and my New York City address Ill have them!!!

Last edited:
When I travel in Mexico I watched the SATs from Canada. They have all the US networks and included several feeds from both East Coast and West Coast.

Their footprint seems to cover Mexico pretty good.

You might want to check their forum if you are interested. It takes a little "moving" skills also.

You will need a 1.2 M for 119 and a 2.4m for 110. (this is for DF, other locations may use smaller dishes)

And to those that nag about the signal being for the US. I hope someday you have to live somewhere aoutside the US for a couple of months and see how bad you miss your good ol USA channels. If I pay for it and have the means to get it even if it means having two huge ass dishes (1.2m and 1.8m), a voip router to hook up my receivers and my New York City address Ill have them!!!

Here in Cancun I'm using an old Direct 1.2 meter and receive America's 250 with no problem other than storm interference (very shallow angle). I don't have room for the giant I'd need for 110, but others have access to that sat as well.

And I'll add my comment to the nags about legality, etc. I pay via automatic payment. I am receiving a signal. I am not harming anyone and my little monthly payment contributes to providing revenue and jobs to American workers. The Mexican satellite monopoly, Sky Mexico, is virtually unwatchable, with lip sync, volume level and color distortion issues that appear to be unsolvable.

Things like running promotions for CBS News with Dan Rather for 20 months after he left the network is another example of the frustrations here, as is National Geographic being 30 frames out of sync for two months, despite repeated calls to their service center. Also, the SAPs never worked, and what little American programming existed was one year out of date. Plus, if you watched the American programming in Spanish, you realized that the English subtitles were wrong 50% of the time.

The cable provider, CableMas (or CableMenos as we say here) is equally bad. The laws regarding transmission footprints are in place to protect the monopoly content providers from "foreign" competition. I doubt that the small number of us in Mexico who receive Dish, Direct or the Canadian provider are any real threat to Sky.

Desperate for U.S. programming.

So does anyone know of someone in D.F. who can supply/install the necessary items, to get the Dish service? I have an account with Dish Network in the U.S. and I have a Dish receiver of mine here in Mexico City, but have never been able to get anything to work.

I've lived here for almost 8 years, and I'm STILL desperate for U.S. programming.

I do have FTA which gives me one Fox channel and one ABC channel from the U.S. but nothing else.

can anyone help or make suggestion?

thanks.

So does anyone know of someone in D.F. who can supply/install the necessary items, to get the Dish service? I have an account with Dish Network in the U.S. and I have a Dish receiver of mine here in Mexico City, but have never been able to get anything to work.

I've lived here for almost 8 years, and I'm STILL desperate for U.S. programming.

I do have FTA which gives me one Fox channel and one ABC channel from the U.S. but nothing else.

can anyone help or make suggestion?

thanks.

Log into www.dbstv.com and go to Partners, then scroll down to Mexico there you will find all the partners and locations for installers that are in the network. 1.10 meter dishes will work fine in that region.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)