Dish in Talks with Viacom for Internet Streaming

Why would it, has nothing at all do with a Dish receiver. Want to bet the packages Dish offers on Roku won't work on a Hopper?

As a side note, guy at work who loves movies is finding out how Charter feels about downloading so much. He is now being told to cut back or not be offered service. He dropped Direct TV feeling costs had become too high. He may have to reconsider.

He was mailed signed receipt (and I believe is online) this quote "If the customer exceeds the "No Excessive Use of Bandwidth" policy and is notified three times in a six-month period, the customer's Internet service may be suspended after the delivery of the third notice."

Seeking Alpha is nothing that ESPN will NOT be part of the online offerings.

Friday, September 28, 8:04 AM
Disney's (DIS) ESPN won't be part of a streaming service of channels planned by Dish Networks (DISH), according to reports. The distinction is important because the sports network charges amongst the highest
carriage fees in the industry and is a ratings juggernaut. Dish's chances for success with its plan isn't rated uniformly high by analysts, Bernstein Research's Craig Moffett says content companies may take a pass.
http://seekingalpha.com/currents/post/561471?source=email_rt_mc_readmore&ifp=0

Why would it, has nothing at all do with a Dish receiver. Want to bet the packages Dish offers on Roku won't work on a Hopper?

Simply saying that the idea of ala cart and NO sports channels to reduce costs for the subs , would be nice to have with the DISH HOPPER. I would hate to start all over again with the ala cart service for the internet and couldn't use the hopper or PTAT. I would be nice if you could choose to use either the internet service over the HOPPER or the satellite or both .

Don't deny it would be nice for some, but as soon as you introduce the Hopper (or a DVR) the cost is going to rise. And I'm not so sure the channels allowing themselves to be in an internet package for less would see any advantage to it. If they wanted to lower their price they just would do that. They don't, but apparently some are willing to lower the cost or not insist on being in a certain package over the internet, no DVR or receiver. And as good as my cable internet generally is, it still has slower times and it can be torture trying to watch a higher quality picture. I don't know that Dish wants an internet connection picture on the Hopper. But even with all that, the idea of it is not far fetched.

Would be cool if they had this available on the Joey's along with the Blockbuster / Roku type of service on it. Could make a Joey multi-functional. Or perhaps make it like a sling box allowing it to access your shows away from home.

This service isn't for those interested in the traditional legacy Hopper like pay-TV model. This is for all those young adults who watch almost everything on-line and are used to and even prefer watching their entertainment on YouTube, Netflix, HuluPlus, and don't mind the awful PQ--although a lot of those same pay-TV penny pinchers spend a FORTUNE on high bandwidth internet access including higher rates for larger caps--their on-line bill is obscene). That is the current way for the current generation and those folks are NOT even considering cable, sat, Uverse, or FiOS TV. The content providers have to get through their heads that a majority of folks over 30 who have spent money on those 60" HDTV's and who PREFER the boxes like the Hopper are not interested in OTT as it is today. However, as time passes, it does become appealing even for the old fogies, but even then they still keep substantial channel packages.

I would love it if the hopper was used for the new service. Then I would drop down to the Welcome pack for local and PTAT and use the internet service for ala cart channels I do want over the internet. The best of both venues. But I'm sure that they won't allow this. Too much like right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)