Dish Internet

Internet1

Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
WI
Hi, using Dish satellite for internet. Get a certain amount of high speed each month. After that the speed is reduced. Which is fine. But after that it keeps going to a Dish webpage - Data | dishNET

Which says-

"NOTICE As a courtesy, we want to notify you that you have used 100% of your Monthly Anytime Usage Allowance for the current service period. Your download speeds will be significantly reduced for the remainder of the service period. To view your data usage meter, purchase additional capacity or see details about upgrading your service package, please log into MyDish.com below. Thank you for being a valued DISH customer."

It would be fine if it did this once. Or even once a day. But it does it numerous times a day. Limitless really. Because sometimes when ever you click to go to a webpage, wether it be from a bookmark or link on the page you're on, etc. it will take you to the Dish page. Rendering internet usage completely stopped. Because you could have a million redirects to the Dish page if you kept clicking to open web pages, etc.

It happens at various times of the day and night. As well as lasts for various lengths of time, before temporarily going back to normal. Not sure why it does what when. Besides how Dish has it set.

Internet tech support options have been exhausted. Dish offers no way to continue using the internet when this happens.

So, question is, can/how can the Dish 'redirects' be stopped?

thanks

Dish resells HughesNet or ViaSat service under their brand. I assume they have a technical support department for it, or they may send you over to ViaSat or Hughes, whichever is actually the provider. Doubt their will be much help available here since this is mainly the Dish direct broadcast service we converse about.
If you have to have satellite internet (nothing else available) I would recommend changing to Hughes or ViaSat directly, if your not under contract.

Does the re-direct happen every time you go to a webpage? May not have an effect, but have you tried opening in private/Incognito mode (depending on your choice of browser), or right-click on the links and click "Open in Private/incognito tab". Don't know if it would have an effect here, but it does have an effect to get around paywalls on some websites that block content. May be worth a try at least.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
You mean like when you exceed your wireless quota. We used Verizon TravelPass last year in Canada. When we went of the 500 MB quota, the slow down was so bad it was hard to do a ping.

Back when I was using the original Hughesnet, towards the end, you could but extra bandwidth chips.

You mean like when you exceed your wireless quota. We used Verizon TravelPass last year in Canada. When we went of the 500 MB quota, the slow down was so bad it was hard to do a ping.

Back when I was using the original Hughesnet, towards the end, you could but extra bandwidth chips.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I thought as an RV-er you might be interested in checking out Visible Wireless. It uses Verizon's network but has unlimited hotspot for one device at a time. $40 per month. I am using it on my iPhone X with no issues.

Having been burned by Millenicom, a Verizon retailer, when Verizon pulled the carpet, I am not about to try an upstart company. I do have a $20 a month "unlimited" subscription for GM LTE through AT&T. $20 a month is bad considering the $15 a GB for Verizon overflow. I just have to have a battery charger on the Equinox to run the hotspot with the ignition on.

Having been burned by Millenicom, a Verizon retailer, when Verizon pulled the carpet, I am not about to try an upstart company. I do have a $20 a month "unlimited" subscription for GM LTE through AT&T. $20 a month is bad considering the $15 a GB for Verizon overflow. I just have to have a battery charger on the Equinox to run the hotspot with the ignition on.

I have been burned by MVNO's and am also leery of them. However, this product isn't an MVNO at all, it is is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Verizon, set to compete with Cricket, MetroPCS, and Boost. Hopefully they will last, because I think their product is fantastic so far.

Well I checked Visible. Besides only running on iPhones, something I would never use, it is limited to smartphones. I use a Verizon modem USB connected to my SOHO router and the modem is in a Sleek amplifier. It is a no show from the get go for me.

Equipment, etc. from Dish is ViaSat. Tried customer service directly with them. They didn't have a resolution and said the messages were from the Dish end. And said it would be Dish customer service. (Which all ready tried.)
Sometimes it happens every time you try to go to the same web page and/or any different ones. Tried opening them in private, etc. windows as well. But it still happens.
No high speed cable around here. Their is a wireless tower near enough, but due to terrain it wouldn't work.
Out of ViaSat and Hughes, one said they do service in this area and the other didn't. Thing is view to 'southern' sky and other directions is heavily forested and on hills. Barely was able to get the Dish through to work for internet. And for TV one of the two satellites it uses is out when the leaves are on. With no remedy. Other than large scale tree removal.
And both ViaSat and Hughes said they send messages if high speed runs out as well.
Could buy more high speed, but didn't want to.
Dish is doing it by design. To try to annoy people enough to spend more money.
Just wanted to be able to at least use it when I wanted to when the speed is reduced. Which is what I was told I could do when it was hooked up.