Dish Internet

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
When Dish adds internet, how fast a connection will it be? Upload speed and download speed? Also, how much will it cost monthly?

and when you look at those speeds... dont believe them... i have been installing them for about a year now and i have yet to have one get the advertised speed... and i know, no company maintains the advertised speed... but this is worse than most i have seen

512 is only twice the speed of dial up. Correct? and that is $50 per month. I pay $50 per month now for cable modem and it is lightning fast. I could never go back to dial up and Wild Blue for the price does not seem like a good deal. Any opinions?

jerryez said:
512 is only twice the speed of dial up. Correct? and that is $50 per month. I pay $50 per month now for cable modem and it is lightning fast. I could never go back to dial up and Wild Blue for the price does not seem like a good deal. Any opinions?

Are we talking about upstream or downstream here.
the best dilup connection possible is 56K downstream and 33.6K upstream.

roadrunner gives you (depending on your area) 3-6 meg down and 384 up

Wildblue, as with any satellite internet is intended for people that live far enough outside major cities that they can not get cable internet, and a way too far from a CO to get DSL. When you choose to live in the country, you end up having to pay a bit more for services, thats a fact of life.

JPointerWI said:
Are we talking about upstream or downstream here.
the best dilup connection possible is 56K downstream and 33.6K upstream.

roadrunner gives you (depending on your area) 3-6 meg down and 384 up

Wildblue, as with any satellite internet is intended for people that live far enough outside major cities that they can not get cable internet, and a way too far from a CO to get DSL. When you choose to live in the country, you end up having to pay a bit more for services, thats a fact of life.

As I have stated in previous posts, I live more than 5 miles from the DCO in Berkeley Springs, WV. Too far for DSL and/or decent dial-up. So I opted for Starband a few years ago and am happy with the performance. It's not lightning fast, but it sure beats the dial-up download speeds of 2-4Kbs that I was getting previously.

Recently, the county contracted with a company to provide wireless internet connectivity. So what do I get in the mail from Verizon the other day. An announcement that Verizon DSL is now available in your area! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Thanks, but no thanks Verizon. You should be offering us FIOS, not DSL! I have seen Verizon techs stringing fiber from one end of the county to the other, so I KNOW, fiber is available. :mad:

jerryez said:

ummm.. NO....

512 is almost 10 times faster than dialup....

512/56=9.142 but you don't really get 56... FCC limits it to 53 I think... so 512/53=9.6 almost 10---

It's been so long since I had dial up, I forgot what the speeds were. Hmmmm, I do not even know what my cable modem speeds are. Since they are so fast, I never cared.

after rereading my comment i think i came across as kind of bashing the service... i'm not. If it is your only option that it is a good option. I just get tired of the sales reps overhyping the service... then i get there to install it and the customer is mad because the sales rep told them it was just as fast as DSL... which its not due to the latency...

if you have no other option, go for it... way better then dialup. But if there are any other options, I wouldn't even sell it to you

From what I understand, there is always a 500 ms delay. So the transfer rates may be enough, but the turn around time is inherantly poor due to the distance light must travel between the earth and the satellite. With land lines, the distance is much much less. For those in North America, you'll usually see delays of around 100 ms, sometimes less.

In summary, good for office work, not good for gaming. :D

ZandarKoad said:
In summary, good for office work, not good for gaming. :D

exactly... definately not good for gaming, but you still have the speed required to stream video, download music and large files, ect... you just have a little bit of a lag time from the time you request the data before you recieve it

birddoggy said:
exactly... definately not good for gaming, but you still have the speed required to stream video, download music and large files, ect... you just have a little bit of a lag time from the time you request the data before you recieve it

(Turning on draw....)

When ya'll out der in da woods that their satellite is better than nuttin! (spit in bucket) :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)