Dish Introduces DTVPal DVR

1 USB 2.0 port (for future use)...guess that answers my EHD question.

Even if activated, I'm sure you won't be able to watch anything recorded from a previous 622/722 unless you have an active E* sub. To watch my already archived EHD, E* will have me hooked FOREVER (or till they go out of business, at which time my EHD will be out of business.)

beta testers, is the output resolution fixed like other DISH stb's or is there a native output option? Owners manual sounds like it is fixed

My guide currently is using TV Guide. As for PSIP as secondary, I can't answer that for you.
Islandguy43,
Can you be more specific with regards to TV Guide? The reason I ask is that I noticed in your profile that you list your location as Grand Island, NY. As well, there was speculation the guide data was to be datacast OTA via digital TVGOS. The CBS network stations are/were being targeted for datacasting the digital TVGOS data, presumably on an individual basis for the affliates. I have a contact in the engineering dept. for the CBS affliate in Buffalo (WIVB), who has informed me that they are currently NOT datacasting the digital version of the guide data.

So I'm wondering where your data that is populating your user guide is coming from. Would you say that the guide data is complete and accurate for all of the Buffalo stations?

Thanks for any reply.

cheers

Maybe it's too early in the morning for me but this is for when you DONT have dish programming right? OTA only? So you purchase this and own it and have no other fees?

Can I hook up my EHD to it via USB or is that too much to ask?

It seems like that link to their web site talks about Dish network programming, but if you have that, why would you need this box over, say a 722?

Yes, EHD is supposed to be available for this unit. That was stated by Echostar some time ago, and I believe it was demonstrated at one of the shows using EHD.

I don't know how much you can say, but can you verify whether or not the program guide uses TVGOS as a primary, with PSIP as secondary, or is it PSIP only?

Brad

It has been stated several times by Echostar that this unit uses the Megadata available from the OTA signal, (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is the same as the PSIP, right?). So, your guide data comes from the OTA signal.

how do you get the info on your guide? don't you have to subscribe to your locals to get that?

No. It uses the Megadata available of the OTA signal. This product is designed to be completely independent of any Dish Network service. It is a stand-alone digital/HD OTA DVR solution for anyone, and it is completely separate of any Dish Network services.

so they can use TVGoS with this box but they can't make it work with the other boxes. just more proof that E* is a money grubbing company. this starting to be a mute point since they are starting to offer HD locals now and you need to subscribe to locals anyway. i just find it interesting.

No. A misunderstanding. This box uses the Megadata, meaning no additional charge as the Megadata is transmitted via the OTA signal. Any display of the TV Guide bug on this product is a requirement of Dish's settlement with Gemstar/TV Guide reached years ago that allows Dish a "lifetime license" on all TV Guide technology. Dish must display the TV Guide bug on its products/guides. However, separate from the guide, Dish may be using TV Guide technology for enhanced search and other features on many or all of the Dish/Echostar products.

The DTV PAL DVR will get it's guide info Over the Air from the free TV Guide On Screen service. I currently get this guide in my Sony DHG HDD250 HD over the air dvr and it works great. Hopefully there are enough stations broadcasting the digital TVGoS by then, as Tulsa currently does not have one broadcasting digital TVGoS. We are still getting guide listings from the analog stations.

While it is true that the old Sony DVR's and some new products still use the TVGoS, it has been stated in several press releases and demonstrations at various shows that the DTV Pal DVR will use the Megadata and their own monkey guide, not the TVGoS. Has this changed recently? Let me know. All the manufactures are moving to use the Megadata and their own mutt guides because they don't have to pay a licensing fee. Once the digital transitions is complete, I think all new products manufactured afterwords will say, bye bye, to TVGoS.

Any display of the TV Guide bug on this product is a requirement of Dish's settlement with Gemstar/TV Guide reached years ago that allows Dish a "lifetime license" on all TV Guide technology. Dish must display the TV Guide bug on its all its products/guides. However, separate from the guide, Dish may be using TV Guide technology for enhanced search and other features on many or all of the Dish/Echostar products. Ergan had stated some time ago that they were going to implement--NOT the Guide--but other TV Guide technology on its products.

Last edited:
The manual states it is using TVGoS. Everything I have heard is that it using TVGoS. That may have changed. There are many products that are being manufactured to use the digital TVGoS. I guess we will find out when it ships.

Dish pays the TVGOS fee up front, so it's not exactly free. But there are no monthly fees to the user, which kinda makes one wonder how TIVO has lasted so long.

Saying "the first product of its kind in the converter box market" is rather stretching the point.

But I'm going to be one of the first to pre-order. If DishStore is going to have these available for pre-order, that should be posted here.

I think Dish uses its "lifetime license" to all TV Guide Technology grated as part of the Gemstar/TV Guide settlement and won't have to pay any fees. However, As recently as a few months ago, Echostar was still saying that this unit would use the Megadata from the OTA signal. Please correct me if they have changed this.

Since a few of you have asked, here is an early edition draft of the DTVPAl Manual.

It should be noted that some of the specs and features might be slightly different upon release then are what are specified here in the manual.

Enjoy and thanks for being SatelliteGuys!

You, sir, are a gentleman! A grand thanks to you. Cheers!

The manual states it is using TVGoS. Everything I have heard is that it using TVGoS. That may have changed. There are many products that are being manufactured to use the digital TVGoS. I guess we will find out when it ships.

Quite true. Dish may have decided to go with the TVGos. However, all the latest pics and video show Dish's own guide very similar to the ones on its satellite boxes--the same guide display as the TR40 products, and not the TVGos. But as you said, who knows until it ships. We shall find out next month.

The DTVpal DVR will use TVGOS if available in your area. If you don't have a CBS station sending the TVGOS data in your area then the DVR will use PSIP data.

I will have one to replace my beloved Sony, as I know the Sony won't have a guide without a digital onscreen source. Also the Sony has no way of setting the clock for manual recordings. So no onscreen and I lose power and the Sony is nothing more than a tuner.

VERY interesting! Since 95% of what I record on the DVR are local stations, and I have great reception of these with my inside-attic antenna, this thing could serve as a Dish Network replacement should the economic situation worsen.

Islandguy43,
Can you be more specific with regards to TV Guide? The reason I ask is that I noticed in your profile that you list your location as Grand Island, NY. As well, there was speculation the guide data was to be datacast OTA via digital TVGOS. The CBS network stations are/were being targeted for datacasting the digital TVGOS data, presumably on an individual basis for the affliates. I have a contact in the engineering dept. for the CBS affliate in Buffalo (WIVB), who has informed me that they are currently NOT datacasting the digital version of the guide data.

So I'm wondering where your data that is populating your user guide is coming from. Would you say that the guide data is complete and accurate for all of the Buffalo stations?

Thanks for any reply.

cheers

The data is definitely being populated by hte ota means, whereas I have not been using a constant ethernet connection on the unit. There was a request for us to do a new software download for the unit, whereas perhaps this mayl be the original shipped version of the software. The guide on this version is basically dish network guide software without the video, and it seems to be populated by wivb channel 4 out of buffalo (cbs). Channel four is only channel it the guide where info is available for more than 24 hours out in the guide, and yes the program data seems to be correct and current.

Thus far, this seems to be a great little dvr. Like I stated previousily, the tuner seems to superior to that of my 722 and 211. Currently, I have basicaly a indoor rabbit ear antenna hooked up to it, and am picking up all the buffalo area channels and sub channels without making adjustments while viewing.:):up

It has been stated several times by Echostar that this unit uses the Megadata available from the OTA signal, (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is the same as the PSIP, right?). So, your guide data comes from the OTA signal.

This is the reason that I originally asked the question. I haven't read the entire manual, but the "TVGOS" section is all about converting the digital TVGOS data to analog and sending it on to a "legacy" VCR or DVD-R, so that you can still use those (I'm not sure why you would want to, but OK). If Islandguy43 isn't getting more than 24 hours of data, it must not be TVGOS.

BTW, I think you mean "metadata." ;)

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts