Dish Introduces DTVPal DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
hey islandguy. you said you have the TVGuide data right? What does the guide look like? Are the indiviual time slices "3D" looking or are they flat? That would tell us alot about what the guide looks like.
As far as functionality goes I bet there is no difference between them.

Well as of yesterday, with a roll out of a new software update, it looks almost exactly like the guide in a 722 without the video option, with no mention of TV guide now.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, interrogative?

Are you saying now, no TVGOS functionality?

it can tkae up to 24 hours for the guide to show the TVGUIDE logo. and also, this is still testing mode. there my be a known issue with this version that we haven't heard about yet.

I wonder if pass through will still be useful after the cut off?

If you are using the RF input on your TV for your TR50, then your TV is likely Analog only. If it was digital, then you would have used one of the HD inputs such as HDMI or Components since the TR50 would down convert the signal to SD/Analog to output on its RF connection.

That said, after the cut off the pass through wouldn't have any analog signals to pass along after the cut off happen (with the exception of those low-power stations with extensions)

So without a separate ota feed directly to the tv, I would not be able to view the local hd/digital channels.......
Of course you would. That is what the DTVPal DVR does, show local hd/digital channels. That's all it does, and it will never stop, ever, until you are finished!

how could anyone charge for this. we are talking OTA EPG, what is that 20 to 30 channels. What i want to know is the Hard Drive user changeable, does it have the same learning that TIVO has? I have OTA in PA and NY while Cablevision in FL, so does that make this unit only usable in 2 homes for me?

Well, it appears that they aren't charging a monthly fee (good). Its not a Tivo, so I don't expect the learning feature (no Dish DVR has that anyway) and I doubt that the Hard Disk is user serviceable.

So yep, two homes for you.

how could anyone charge for this. we are talking OTA EPG, what is that 20 to 30 channels. What i want to know is the Hard Drive user changeable, does it have the same learning that TIVO has? I have OTA in PA and NY while Cablevision in FL, so does that make this unit only usable in 2 homes for me?

Awful demanding for a newbie making his first time post:(

Many thanks to Scott Greczkowski for posting the manual.
I read it, but couldn't glean the user interface for setting a DVR Timer.

Can you set a DVR Timer by:

a) selecting a TVGuide entry ?

b) specifying start/stop times (like an old VCR) ?

Thanks !
Craig

What i want to know is the Hard Drive user changeable...
Chances are this is just a special purpose Linux box like some of the other Dish DVRs. If so, I don't see any reason why you couldn't dupe to a new larger HDD with a few commands like dd, resize2fs (if it's EXT2/3), fsck, etc. If they are using encryption it might get a little stickier though, depends on if they encrypt individual files or the entire filesystem. You may not have access to the Linux shell on the Dish DVR either, but you could do all this work on a separate computer by moving HDs around.

No guarantees on any of this, but I think it has a good chance of being something you could pull off.

Chances are this is just a special purpose Linux box like some of the other Dish DVRs. If so, I don't see any reason why you couldn't dupe to a new larger HDD with a few commands like dd, resize2fs (if it's EXT2/3), fsck, etc. If they are using encryption it might get a little stickier though, depends on if they encrypt individual files or the entire filesystem. You may not have access to the Linux shell on the Dish DVR either, but you could do all this work on a separate computer by moving HDs around.

No guarantees on any of this, but I think it has a good chance of being something you could pull off.

except for the part where Dish messes with the firmware and the drive is not recognized by a PC.

Many thanks to Scott Greczkowski for posting the manual.
I read it, but couldn't glean the user interface for setting a DVR Timer.

Can you set a DVR Timer by:

a) selecting a TVGuide entry ?

b) specifying start/stop times (like an old VCR) ?

Thanks !
Craig

Yes to both!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)