Dish is charging state SALES Tax for return equipment shipping fees

DishEdG

Original poster
May 19, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
After closing our Dish account to move, we were sent a box and prepaid shipping label to return our one receiver via UPS. We were led to believe we were doing them a favor by boxing and shipping it to them vs them coming to pick them up, with clear insinuation that it was at their expense. But a month later we received a bill for $16.13 which is a $15 charge for receiver return, plus FLORIDA SALES TAX. When I called I spoke to two individuals who both claimed that the sales tax charge is out of their control, and that the State of Florida is responsible for this. One of their workers claimed that this bill was for the EXCESS shipping charges from UPS for my equipment return because their prepaid label is only good up to $15 whereas the other employee simply said this was a return shipping fee charged to anyone. (UPS estimated that my return shipping charge would have been about $8 based on the size and weight of this package going to a commercial business with an account) And they both claim the sales tax is not their doing: NOT SO, says the Florida Department of Revenue. They say this is clearly NOT a taxable event and not subject to a sales tax charge.

Hi DishEdG, I apologize if you were not informed at the time of cancellation about the return equipment fee. This is a charge that is placed on an account when the equipment is returned using our shipping label. It is a discounted rate from what it would cost a consumer to ship independently. I have verified that fees are taxable is the state in Florida. If you would like for me verify the charges to your account, please PM me your account # or phone # and I can review the account for you. Thank you!

I'm sure if DISH is not allowed/required to collect the $1.13 sales tax the Florida tax office will help you to file a complaint against DISH. Of course with all the lawyers DISH has on staff I would bet they are correct in charging the sales tax. The $15 shipping fee is required on all leased equipment, but you do have the right not to use the shipping label and pay the return shipping out of your own pocket.

Last edited:
(UPS estimated that my return shipping charge would have been about $8 based on the size and weight of this package going to a commercial business with an account)
Dish charges a flat rate of $15 regardless of where the receiver is being shipped to/from. Technically, yes, it should vary based on location. Also, they charge the same fee whether you're returning a DVR (heavy) or a 311 (light). Maybe you should have taken the UPS folk's advice and shipped it yourself... :) Dish will only charge you if that label they provide gets used.

This isn't a matter of whether shipping is taxed. This is a fee, so the question is whether satellite fees are taxed by Florida not whether shipping is taxed in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm pretty sure it is a crime to charge a sales tax and then not give it to the state, so I hardly see what the deal is with bitching about Dish here. Complain to the state. Luckily in Ohio, our far right Supreme Court ruled in favor of taxing Sat TV, but not Cable TV. I love law, it's so arbitrary!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts