Dish is NOT the only one

wolfjc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Cincinnati
At least Dish is not the only one who can't get along with broadcasters.

From the Swanni:

Washington, D.C. (October 6, 2008) -- Time Warner subscribers today in 11 markets are missing some of their favorite local SD and HD channels due to a contract dispute with broadcaster LIN TV.

By law, a TV provider can not carry a local station's signal without the permission of the station. On Friday, Time Warner's carriage contract for 15 LIN TV stations in the 11 markets expired.

The two companies have been involved in negotiations since Friday for a new deal, but the continuing dispute caused football fans in Green Bay, Indianapolis and Buffalo to lose their games on cable on Sunday.

LIN TV is demanding greater compensation for the right to carry the local stations while Time Warner is charging the fees are too high. Similar contract disputes between local stations and TV providers have led to some cable operators losing local signals for months, if not years.

The 11 markets affected by the Time Warner/LIN TV contract fight are: Green Bay, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Austin, Columbus, Ohio, Dayton, Ohio, Fort Wayne, Indiana, Mobile, Alabama, Springfield, Massachusetts, Terre Haute, Indiana and Toledo, Ohio.

A Time Warner Cable spokesman says the cable operator has given away roughly 50,000 antennas to allow subscribers to watch LIN TV signals over the air until an agreement is reached.

This goes along with LIN TV's "reputation". When they say they've reached agreements with "all the other cable and satellite providers", similar negotiations took place.

LIN was the reason Buffalo, NY HD locals didn't happen for a while via E* so this is no real surprise to me. The local CBS affiliate is owned by LIN and they're offering people 50 bucks to switch from Time Warner to E*. They also remind people that their station is also free by using an antenna. Time Warner's argument (to the public at least) is that they shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for programming that the station gives away for free over the airwaves.

Lots of people were ticked off this weekend because the Buffalo Bills game was on the local CBS affiliate and if they had Time Warner, they didn't see it. :) They didn't miss much... the Bills lost to Arizona, but still.... hehehe.

Lots of people were ticked off this weekend because the Buffalo Bills game was on the local CBS affiliate and if they had Time Warner, they didn't see it. :) They didn't miss much... the Bills lost to Arizona, but still.... hehehe.
Same in Indy with Brighthouse Cable. No Colts game...and what a game!!!

Here in Maine the ABC/FOX affiliate won't let a local small cable company keep their channels without cutting a new deal either.

The problem I see is that the ABC/FOX affiliate dumps the picture from HD to SD in order to put their demonizing crawl on the bottom of the screen here and there. Why should we have to suffer with SD just because a local cable co won't pay the extortion rate to inject a 'free' channel into their network?

Here in Maine the ABC/FOX affiliate won't let a local small cable company keep their channels without cutting a new deal either.

The problem I see is that the ABC/FOX affiliate dumps the picture from HD to SD in order to put their demonizing crawl on the bottom of the screen here and there. Why should we have to suffer with SD just because a local cable co won't pay the extortion rate to inject a 'free' channel into their network?

You shouldn't. The owners of your affiliate don't have the budget (or are just too cheap) to buy a HD character generator.

If you can pick it up OTA (for free) I dont understand how a network can charge a cable company for transmitting it. I also think that a cable company should not charge for local channels. Every house should get their locals from the cable company for free.

I agree. At best the cable and satellite carriers are increasing penetration for these stations. If the cable company needs those viewer numbers, then the cable and satellite outfits would probably be more than happy to provide those in exchange for access.

LIN was the reason Buffalo, NY HD locals didn't happen for a while via E* so this is no real surprise to me. The local CBS affiliate is owned by LIN and they're offering people 50 bucks to switch from Time Warner to E*. They also remind people that their station is also free by using an antenna. Time Warner's argument (to the public at least) is that they shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING for programming that the station gives away for free over the airwaves.

Yup...WIVB is tooting Dish's horn. All they say is "you need to switch to Dish"...once in awhile they mention using an antenna, I've heard them say Fios once or twice, but never DirecTV and they also carry it!

Time Warner was handing out free antennas all weekend though. I called today and they said they're out but getting another shipment in the next few days.

The laws governing locals on cable are different than satellite...and to me it really seems that LinTV is being the bad guys here...

TWC and ABC created the mother of all carriage disagreements that even resulted in the FCC having to rule some years ago. ALL the cable and sat companies go through this with carriage rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)