Dish Letter for outdated equipment

"Impossible" it certainly isn't, though to do it in continuous driving probably is. DC fast charging can easily put over a couple hundred miles worth of juice in the battry over a leisurely lunch. A lot of us have a road warrior mentality of putting the miles behind us when probably for both our health & safety we'd ought to take more break time.

Continuous gains in range, charge times, charger locations and reliability (there is that TX grid) along with modest human factor adjustments will soon enough put electric within most drivers' satisfaction range.
I think the biggest gains will be in battery technology. They need to last longer. Also, a battery charger while driving would be a big help.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Electric Vehicles can work well for short trips and in warm environments. But for those who live with harsh extreme cold temperatures they don’t work well. Remember the Tesla grave yard in Chicago where owners had to abandon their vehicles when they would not charge due to the extreme cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In addition to that being highly anecdotal, most of the EV owners involved were very inexperienced in managing their vehicles for the cold, such as by not running batteries as far down and by allowing for "preconditioning" warming of battery cells prior to starting charging.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am going with a hybrid in 2026. That's when we get my wife's social security checks to add to our budget. I hybrid that charges itself when you drive is ideal and it doesn't require a separate charging cable. I doubt Texas will go full electric since they are penalizing those who buy one with a $400.00 tax for registration and then a $200.00 tax for renewal each year. This is in addition to the regular taxes and vehicle registration fees. They claim you pay more because you don't pay the gas taxes per gallon that finance the highways. Texas really doesn't want to see an end to oil and gas.

612's are and 211K's have been. Try getting one replaced. You cannot. I haven't seen a Work order to replace a 211 with another 211 in well over a year and we have had none in our shop in almost as long
That's simply not true mate.Had a terrible lightning storm back in Feb,fried a 211k.Called them up and they said sure thing we can send you a replacement.48hrs later a box with a 211k was on my porch.I did have to re-add the protection plan to get the receiver shipped for free.Had a 722 replaced around 2yrs ago.They do still have a lot of old stock.

I should add that the receiver was shipped from Spartanburg SC.

That's simply not true mate.Had a terrible lightning storm back in Feb,fried a 211k.Called them up and they said sure thing we can send you a replacement.48hrs later a box with a 211k was on my porch.I did have to re-add the protection plan to get the receiver shipped for free.Had a 722 replaced around 2yrs ago.They do still have a lot of old stock.

I should add that the receiver was shipped from Spartanburg SC.
You know stock can change quite a bit in just a few months right? Especially for discontinued products. If they do still have 211k still it would be rare for them to send one out now. The 211z I'm sure they still have some and for sure there's still 722s but that could all change in a few months. 612s for sure though are 100% gone.

We actually have 3 or 4 211k in our warehouse. They've been sitting there for like two years lol

You know stock can change quite a bit in just a few months right? Especially for discontinued products. If they do still have 211k still it would be rare for them to send one out now. The 211z I'm sure they still have some and for sure there's still 722s but that could all change in a few months. 612s for sure though are 100% gone.

We actually have 3 or 4 211k in our warehouse. They've been sitting there for like two years lol
I actually have a spare 612 sitting in my closet lol.

I apreaciate the commnets on the letter. It was a letter via USPS. I am in the habit of only calling numbers I know or via the official website and would not call this number.

As far as the equipment goes, I know it is out of date. I know what the news will get me, but this does what I need, and unless it fails, I don't want to update for the feathers. I actually like the fact that I have DVR capabilities separate on each unit and not all in one location for one feature
Unless it came in an official envelope from Dish I would discard it and ignore it.

I know they normally operate by sending out a rx in advance for replacement (advance exchange), but is it possible to actually just send them one for repairs and wait on a fix or replacement?

I know they normally operate by sending out a rx in advance for replacement (advance exchange), but is it possible to actually just send them one for repairs and wait on a fix or replacement?
I don't think so,at least I have never heard of that option.But I could be wrong,my wife tells me that very often lol

• Haha
I don't think so,at least I have never heard of that option.But I could be wrong,my wife tells me that very often lol
Back in the early DiSH days if a rx went bad the cx had to get an R/A #, box up & send in the rx (on own dime) and wait for a replacement, or else go through a dealer who could immediately replace it and then the dealer would do all of that. But they were getting away from dealers as quickly as they could, and they also quickly found out that the pain point of a down system and having to box up & take the bad rx to a shipper and then wait both for DiSH to get it and then for them to send out a replacement presented a high risk of customer loss, so they came up with "Advance Exchange" whereby they would immediately send a replacement, and then the cx would use the same box it was sent out in to send back the bad rx, prepaid by DiSH.

But there was still the option to send in & wait. Advance Exchange required a credit card.

"Impossible" it certainly isn't, though to do it in continuous driving probably is. DC fast charging can easily put over a couple hundred miles worth of juice in the battry over a leisurely lunch. A lot of us have a road warrior mentality of putting the miles behind us when probably for both our health & safety we'd ought to take more break time.

Continuous gains in range, charge times, charger locations and reliability (there is that TX grid) along with modest human factor adjustments will soon enough put electric within most drivers' satisfaction range.
While that may be true for now. How does that work on busy interstate highways when hundreds of cars and trucks want to charge at any given time. Where I live the gas stations sees hundreds of cars and trucks an hour. A busy charging center will need several hundred charging station or a motel for waiting your turn. Much less the Electrical grid to handle charge several hundred cars at a time. What about the thousand trucks that do deliver, or service trucks that are needed to come to people’s homes. A third of their day will be at charging stations. And what about people that live in apartments, every apartment will need a charging station. What am I missing because I do not see charging get down to the time it takes for filling a gas car or at least for very very long time.

Once you own a EV, you will never go back.

Love my Mach E, currently looking to what my second car will be, but definitely not a Gas Powered auto.

Agreed. People speak so negatively of EVs, but forget we didn’t go from the Model T to the Corvette overnight. Gas stations didn’t exist everywhere when the T came out. Things take time and infrastructure will be built. Battery technology will continue to improve. And yes, you can actually make a 590 mile trip in one day if there are fast chargers on route. You might only need to stop for 15-30 minutes to recharge - which most folks stop for lunch/bathrooms/gas already on long road trips like this.

Lots of ifs - and not a lot of standardization yet with chargers, and charge time - but it will get better.

I have a PHEV - plugin hybrjd. 42 miles electric before hybrid gas engine kicks in. I buy gas like once every 3 months now. It’s pretty amazing.

I am going with a hybrid in 2026. That's when we get my wife's social security checks to add to our budget. I hybrid that charges itself when you drive is ideal and it doesn't require a separate charging cable. I doubt Texas will go full electric since they are penalizing those who buy one with a $400.00 tax for registration and then a $200.00 tax for renewal each year. This is in addition to the regular taxes and vehicle registration fees. They claim you pay more because you don't pay the gas taxes per gallon that finance the highways. Texas really doesn't want to see an end to oil and gas.

Very shortsighted of TX politicians. They should be jumping at the chance to bring more jobs into the state thanks to EV manufacturing. Sure oil industry jobs will be “lost,” but they will transition to jobs in the EV car industry, battery manufacturing. Same with solar panels - someone has to make them. TX should be looking to be a leader in all these industries, with the eventual and inevitable loss of their oil industry in the decades ahead.

Very shortsighted of TX politicians. They should be jumping at the chance to bring more jobs into the state thanks to EV manufacturing. Sure oil industry jobs will be “lost,” but they will transition to jobs in the EV car industry, battery manufacturing. Same with solar panels - someone has to make them. TX should be looking to be a leader in all these industries, with the eventual and inevitable loss of their oil industry in the decades ahead.

Good luck powering jet planes and tankers on electricity. The oil industry isn't going anywhere.

We often make the 590 mile trek to Galveston, by car, impossible to do in one day with electric. Even a trip to DFW area would require stopping for an inordinate length of time to "gas up" the battery. Electric is ok for local commuting but for longer trips they are exercises in futility. If we feel like burning more petroleum distillates, we fly!
That's why personally, I think Hybrid supporting everything like gas, EV is the best solution.

Agreed. People speak so negatively of EVs, but forget we didn’t go from the Model T to the Corvette overnight. Gas stations didn’t exist everywhere when the T came out. Things take time and infrastructure will be built. Battery technology will continue to improve. And yes, you can actually make a 590 mile trip in one day if there are fast chargers on route. You might only need to stop for 15-30 minutes to recharge - which most folks stop for lunch/bathrooms/gas already on long road trips like this.

Lots of ifs - and not a lot of standardization yet with chargers, and charge time - but it will get better.

I have a PHEV - plugin hybrjd. 42 miles electric before hybrid gas engine kicks in. I buy gas like once every 3 months now. It’s pretty amazing.

Try living in rural America,with lots of still unpaved roads and many mountains,then get back to me about going electric.Hell we ain't even in the 21st century with internet let alone ready to go all electric.The whole push is very shortsighted,and imho a scam to line pockets.EV does have a place but not how the powers that be wish to implement it.

612's are and 211K's have been. Try getting one replaced. You cannot. I haven't seen a Work order to replace a 211 with another 211 in well over a year and we have had none in our shop in almost as long
I got the letter and I called Dish. The lady told me that my two VIP211K's was no longer would be working and I had to upgrade. Right there, I told her to discontinue my Dish service. After some thirty minutes of hassle, they agreed to drop[ my service and give me a refund on the programming that I had paid for.
I went to Cox cable and would I love to tell you what happen there. Agreed to 250 channels and new modem for my internet at $267.98 a month. Got the bill couple weeks and how would you feel when it shows that I would pay $579.98 for a month. I spent over ten hours with probably thirty to forty live agents at Cox to drop the service. I call Dish back 25 days later to go back to Dish. Dish offered me $50.00 to "go back" and would like to hear their story. They told me I could keep my two VIP211K's. The lady also said, Dish lost over thirty thousand customers during the "bad decision letter".

• Wow
Try living in rural America,with lots of still unpaved roads and many mountains,then get back to me about going electric.Hell we ain't even in the 21st century with internet let alone ready to go all electric.The whole push is very shortsighted,and imho a scam to line pockets.EV does have a place but not how the powers that be wish to implement it.

I live in rural America with lots of dirt roads. Dirt roads have no impact on EV operation. Going up a mountain certainly uses a lot of juice (but the same is true of ICEs). Coming down a mountain recharges an EV battery pretty quickly thanks to regenerative braking and kinetic energy (and for ICEs they use minimal gasoline improving the MPG ratio).

So anyways, my point is it sounds like your concerns about rural America are 1. Lack of recharging stations (this was an issue when ICE cars first rolled out in early 20th century and look where we are now - gas stations on every corner it seems). And 2. The range of an EV. Right now most seem to be in the 250-300 with some doing a lot more - but those tend to be pretty pricey. This will obviously improve and prices come down as the technology advances. Remember, the Model T in the early 1900s - it could only go 200-250 miles on one tank of gas. Look where we are now? Many cars can easily go 500+ miles on one tank. 3. Mountains. I wouldn’t consider this a concern since you more often than not regain all the juice you lost and then some when you come down a mountain. I have witnessed this myself in the VT mountains.

One point you didn’t bring up, but it is definitely something that needs to be figured out sooner than later - cold weather drastically reduces EV range.

Dish Anywhere on Apple TV

Signal Protector