dish live 4k?

Reading this thread the common theme of it is Dish needs to add 4K live channels, the problem is no broadcaster (OTA or cable channel ) is offering one and there is no news that one is coming soon.

Back when HD first came out the TV manufactures we're sponsoring the HD Channels ( like the Discovery Channel ) for content so they could sell their products, they are not doing so this time, why sponsor it when 4K is on the net ( Netflix for example) for people to check out.

The future of 4K is the net I am sorry to say, if broadcasters/providers can't even get 1080P going how do we expect them to ramp up to 4K.

For a channel like ESPN to go 4K they would have to replace everything, imagine the $$$ to do so when they are laying people, losing subs and too expensive content deals.

With no real growth in TV subscribers for cable/sat. providers except for broadband, that is why the trend for 4K is going that way and with more of a on demand type service.

i think they are about even so far
directv has a channel or 2
dish has a dvr that can output 4k without need of a mini/rvu

For a channel like ESPN to go 4K they would have to replace everything, imagine the $$$ to do so when they are laying people, losing subs and too expensive content deals.
ESPN has been producing Sportscenter and all it other internal show in 4K for over a year now. I have been in studio (and the control rooms) a few times since they converted to 4K and the picture is AMAZING!

Reading this thread the common theme of it is Dish needs to add 4K live channels, the problem is no broadcaster (OTA or cable channel ) is offering one and there is no news that one is coming soon.

Back when HD first came out the TV manufactures we're sponsoring the HD Channels ( like the Discovery Channel ) for content so they could sell their products, they are not doing so this time, why sponsor it when 4K is on the net ( Netflix for example) for people to check out.

The future of 4K is the net I am sorry to say, if broadcasters/providers can't even get 1080P going how do we expect them to ramp up to 4K.

With no real growth in TV subscribers for cable/sat. providers except for broadband, that is why the trend for 4K is going that way and with more of a on demand type service.

Movies are shot in 4k and the movie industry is light years ahead....So it lands on the broadcasters.....
I have little compassion for them...we are controlled by 6 media outlets, that control 95% of all programing....

ESPN has been producing Sportscenter and all it other internal show in 4K for over a year now. I have been in studio (and the control rooms) a few times since they converted to 4K and the picture is AMAZING!

A few questions then, are they using 4K digital cameras ( or better) or are they up converting to 4K?

Is any providers planing on carrying ESPN 4K or is this something they are going to put it out on their WATCH ESPN app?

What about live games ( that is where the real expense is updating their equipment ), or is it going to be like the early days of broadcasting HD Sports when some shots were in HD and some were in SD?

Movies are shot in 4k and the movie industry is light years ahead....So it lands on the broadcasters.....

Remember those broadcasters are owned by the movie studios.

ABC-Disney
NBC-Universal ( Comcast)
FOX-20th Century Fox

Last edited:
i think they are about even so far
directv has a channel or 2
dish has a dvr that can output 4k without need of a mini/rvu

I want real channels in 4K, the Networks first off then the cable channels like FX for example, but there are not even rumors of these things happening.

And what is the big deal about boxes putting out 4K if there is no ( or not much) content, all they are doing is up converting, my TV does that.

Also I find myself not watching shows that I know will be in 4K on Netflix, quit watching the Blacklist and never started Better Call Saul 2nd season because I want to see them in 4K.

I want real channels in 4K, the Networks first off then the cable channels like FX for example, but there are not even rumors of these things happening.

And what is the big deal about boxes putting out 4K if there is no ( or not much) content, all they are doing is up converting, my TV does that.

Also I find myself not watching shows that I know will be in 4K on Netflix, quit watching the Blacklist and never started Better Call Saul 2nd season because I want to see them in 4K.

Channel 104: Full-time 4K channel offering nature documentaries and original content from the DirecTV/AT&T Audience Network.

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/directv-4k-uhd-masters-broadcast/#ixzz45iGjx000

Channel 104: Full-time 4K channel offering nature documentaries and original content from the DirecTV/AT&T Audience Network.

I know that, and kudos to D* for doing that but again I want Broadcast and Cable Networks to do that and I don't blame providers ( D*, E*, Cable) for not putting out live channels if there are none available.

I know that, and kudos to D* for doing that but again I want Broadcast and Cable Networks to do that and I don't blame providers ( D*, E*, Cable) for not putting out live channels if there are none available.

and channels do no good if the box cant output 4k
kinda circular

Reactions: AZ.
More than likely, a few cable networks would go to 4K first.

As for the broadcast networks, well it's a lot more complicated. We have to wait and see if and when the new ATSC 3.0 system will get finalized and approved by the FCC, which could take at least another year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_standards#ATSC_3.0

The new standard will NOT be backward compatible with current ATSC standards meaning anybody that would want to watch 4K TV in OTA would need a converter box or something to make it watchable on current 4K TVs. (Meaning anybody who owns a 4K TV, will your current built-in OTA Tuner is would be already obsolete.)

Furthermore, you have the FCC 600 MHz auction that's begun which means stations could voluntarily shut down and maybe even cause the FCC to re-align the broadcast TV bands (meaning new antennas may be required in the future).
https://www.fcc.gov/about-fcc/fcc-initiatives/incentive-auctions

Overall, who knows how much broadcast TV will change in the next few years.

Reactions: charlesrshell
and channels do no good if the box cant output 4k
kinda circular

Well at least the Dish box has Netflix, it has a lot more content ( and a lot more coming this year ) in 4K then what D*'s channel will have.

The biggest difference now with 4K vs. when HD came out the first couple of years was all the rumors and news about when certain channels ( broadcasters) would have content in HD, those rumors/news are absent this time.

So all those wondering and complaining about wanting live 4K on Dish, wait until content is out there, then complain when or if Dish (or anyone else) does not carry it.

Everything in house is native 4K. They did this when they moved to their new DC-2 complex.

I have been told that ESPN 4K is ready to go, they just need companies to pick up the signal. Only issue right now (or at least it was last time I talked to someone where) is only the in house stuff would be 4K everything else would be upconverted HD)

I had a book mark to a site which had an amazing walk through of the DC-2 facilities which showed off everything including the cameras, but just tried that book mark and got a 404 error. :(

Most if not all NFL games are now shot using 4K however are only transmitted out in HD. I have talked to people from FOX and CBS about this and they tell me this is the case.

And from as far as I know there are currently only two trucks which can produce and transmit in 4K currently. This is how DIRECTV will be carrying the 25 MLB games in 4K.

As far as 4K goes this is the tip of the iceberg. But again I don't EVER expect most channels to offer 4K... 4K will be a premium service so you will only see channels such as ESPN, DISCOVERY and HBO offering 4K.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Now this is a cool photo. :)
eson.jpg

Most if not all NFL games are now shot using 4K however are only transmitted out in HD. I have talked to people from FOX and CBS about this and they tell me this is the case.

Back when NBC got the rights to the second half of the NASCAR season replacing ESPN, their press releases all mentioned how their races would be shot with 4K-capable cameras. I wondered if FOX was playing with something on their end too. So far this year, PQ for the FOX races has been terrible compared to prior years (at least to my eye), both for races on FOX and FS1.

No idea on that, but NBC (comcast) is producing many of their shows in 4K.

If you have a Samsung TV there is a Comcast app you can download and watch a number of NBC shows i n 4K. (You need a comcast username and password to access it though... good thing we have Comcast at work) :D

Reactions: whitewolf8214

Let's also remember that this time around, the CE technology is ahead of the broadcast technology. 4k LCD panels are super easy and cheap to make for TV manufacturers. That is why they are basically only manufacturing them now vs HD. If you're in the market for a new TV you have to go out of you way NOT to get something 4k.

Cable/Sat have remained relatively stagnant with their cutting edge since MPEG4. Sure the boxes have gotten fancier (a lot fancier) but in the end you're getting the same MPEG4 signal to your TV via HDMI.

Cable/Sat have been more concerned with on-demand/ convenience watching and have spent most of their R&D developing this. Dish Anywhere/Direct TV/Xfinity/TWC have come leaps and bounds with their services in the past few years, and rival netflix/amazon in the software department (maybe not app platform availability though).

Now Amazon & Netflix are jumping into 4k and Cable/Sat need to catch up. Cable/Sat may only offer VOD 4k for many things, but live events are still a money maker for TV and 4k demand for these events will be key.

Over the internet, it's very difficult to deliver live 1080 reliably to mass audiences, 4k is even more difficult.

Linear 4k on Cable/Sat doesn't need whole 24/7 channels. I will download/stream a 4k show if I care about it that much (I've put off watching many movies and shows knowing UHD was coming too). What linear 4k needs is just a few solid pipelines (like Direct TV is doing, but eventually more than just 3 channels). Here it can offer the most popular live events to audiences; Awards shows, Superbowls, Walking Deads etc. with the highest quality video compression. Direct doesn't need to broadcast AMC 24/7 in 4k (most of their movies are DVD quality as it is).

Unless a channel is nearly 24/7 4k content, carrying it in 4k 24/7 is a pointless waste of bandwidth. It will be a long time before channels approach majority 4k content, unless it's mostly live content, CNN4k anyone? :eek:)

...Maybe
in the future, there will be a time when I am mad that the MLS game I want to watch on CSNNE didn't get picked up in 4k by Direct TV, and got bumped for some RSN MLB game in San Diego... but I don't see this being an issue anytime soon. :biggrin

Monday Night Football this year though? This HAS to be in 4k. 17 events. Planned MONTHs ahead, broadcast by the one network that we know is MOSTLY 4k?!?! (Even though I like Sunday Night Football much better :biggrin2)

I have little compassion for them...we are controlled by 6 media outlets, that control 95% of all programing....

Actually quite a few movies are not shot at 4k, it depends on the camera used and even then it's about how the DI was finished. DIs have been used for the last 7-10 years in the industry. Some movies are shot at 2.8k and some at 4k and even higher but the problem has been that the DI has been finished at 2K for many movies (especially CGI heavy ones). Fox, for example, has been going back to the source files as much as they can for the 4K releases of movies and even some hybrid movies, like The Martian for example, it was shot at 5K but finished at 2K. So the 4K blu-ray is a hybrid of Downrezzed 5K material (scenes without CGI) and upconverted 2K content (CGI scenes).

Actually quite a few movies are not shot at 4k, it depends on the camera used and even then it's about how the DI was finished. DIs have been used for the last 7-10 years in the industry. Some movies are shot at 2.8k and some at 4k and even higher but the problem has been that the DI has been finished at 2K for many movies (especially CGI heavy ones). Fox, for example, has been going back to the source files as much as they can for the 4K releases of movies and even some hybrid movies, like The Martian for example, it was shot at 5K but finished at 2K. So the 4K blu-ray is a hybrid of Downrezzed 5K material (scenes without CGI) and upconverted 2K content (CGI scenes).
DI??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)