Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Media Sales First to Light Up Addressable Advertising on Spanish-Language Networks Nationwide
  • DISH first national pay-TV provider to offer household-addressable advertising on Latino networks
  • Spanish-language addressable ads available on 8 Latino networks
  • DISH leads bilingual market segment
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH Media Sales, providing advertising sales for DISH and Sling TV, today announced the availability of addressable advertising inventory on eight Latino networks on DISH's satellite pay-TV service. DISH's addressable advertising allows advertisers to target their message to specific households by using anonymized secondary demographic data.

"We're offering brands the opportunity to have a meaningful, in-language conversation with the largest Latino bilingual customer base in pay-TV," said Adam Gaynor, vice president of DISH Media Sales. "Delivering relevant messages improves the viewing experience for our customers and the bottom line for advertisers."

Household-addressable advertising allows advertisers to deliver a targeted ad to a household utilizing anonymized data such as age, location and other consumer characteristics. The technology delivers a video ad to a DVR similar to a postcard ad being delivered to a mailbox. The ad plays in a regularly scheduled commercial break on live and recorded content to a household that has been anonymously matched to an advertiser's desired audience.

Through DISH and DishLATINO branded offerings, the company is the bilingual market segment leader providing a suite of English and Spanish language programming packages. According to Nielsen, Hispanic households are 17 percent more likely to subscribe to satellite TV than the U.S. average.

"Over the past three months, two million DISH addressable households watched a Latino network," said Gaynor. "Brands can now purposefully connect in Spanish with a powerful and growing consumer group."

Hispanics are responsible for more than 60 percent of the total U.S. population growth over the past five years and Latino buying power is forecasted to be $1.7 trillion in 2019 according to the Selig Center for Economic Growth.

DISH Media Sales introduced household-addressable advertising in 2012, which currently reaches more than 8 million of DISH's approximately 14 million homes nationwide.

With the expansion of addressable inventory on the following eight Latino networks, DISH Media Sales now offers addressable advertising on approximately 100 networks:

• beIN SPORTS
  • Discovery en Español
  • ESPN Deportes
  • FOX Deportes
  • Galavisión
  • Telemundo
  • Telemundo West
  • Univision Deportes

"The ad plays in a regularly scheduled commercial break on live and recorded content to a household that has been anonymously matched to an advertiser's desired audience."

does this mean it cant be skipped?

It can be skipped. They have been doing this on some english channels for awhile now. I remember seeing an ad for a local business one night while watching a DVR recording so I grabbed the remote to rewind it and couldn't see it again, instead the national ad that it covered up played.

It can be skipped. They have been doing this on some english channels for awhile now. I remember seeing an ad for a local business one night while watching a DVR recording so I grabbed the remote to rewind it and couldn't see it again, instead the national ad that it covered up played.
Yep. I wish they'd fix this. When I skip back for a particular commercial, and get something else, somebody's losing sales.

Yep. I wish they'd fix this. When I skip back for a particular commercial, and get something else, somebody's losing sales.
My first thought was there are copyright implications to this - Dish is "changing" the broadcast, as it was provided by the broadcaster, if they really replaced the original ad with their own. But them overlaying their own ad surely can't be seen any differently than changing it as well.

To do what you want, that is to see the overlaid ad after rewinding, would require editing the recording, would it not ? Dish can't do that for technical reasons, I suspect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)